Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Those darn Jesuits are at it again: Archdiocese of Indianapolis cut ties with Brebeuf

Good for this young man for taking a stand. So a school system that receives tax dollars is allowed to discriminate in its hiring and firing processes, is also allowed to discriminate against its students? Who gets in and who stays or goes? 

https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2019/7/30/i-wont-let-catholic-church-silence-any-more-lgbtq-students?fbclid=IwAR0ms-FHTwY66UtcxBy8cTdUWmijxzOjXogJxW697Fq-jpQEqN2eebyovmM 

29 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Good for this young man for taking a stand. So a school system that receives tax dollars is allowed to discriminate in its hiring and firing processes, is also allowed to discriminate against its students? Who gets in and who stays or goes? 

https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2019/7/30/i-wont-let-catholic-church-silence-any-more-lgbtq-students?fbclid=IwAR0ms-FHTwY66UtcxBy8cTdUWmijxzOjXogJxW697Fq-jpQEqN2eebyovmM 

Yes, good for this young man. 

That said,  what exactly do you want regarding taxpayers funds and private/parochial/charter schools Irishman?  Do you want these private/parochial/charter schools to change their admission standards and hiring/firing processes to 100% match those of their government school counterparts or do you want to revoke the taxpayer funds from going to these institutions altogether?

• Disdain 1

13 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yes, good for this young man. 

That said,  what exactly do you want regarding taxpayers funds and private/parochial/charter schools Irishman?  Do you want these private/parochial/charter schools to change their admission standards and hiring/firing processes to 100% match those of their government school counterparts or do you want to revoke the taxpayer funds from going to these institutions altogether?

Either option is fine with me. If we are getting tax dollars from the same pot, then all should play by the same rules, or stop taking the tax dollars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Catholic snubbing towards Brebeuf now extended to athletic teams:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/08/14/brebeuf-jesuit-controversy-extends-girls-golf-cross-country-meets/2010928001/

After having its status as a Catholic school revoked last month, Brebeuf Jesuit is feeling a ripple effect in athletics.

Brebeuf’s girls’ golf team was left out of the Guerin Catholic Invitational — formerly named the All-Catholic Invitational — on Aug. 5 at Guerin Catholic, a traditional season-opening event. Guerin Catholic won the event, which also included Bishop Chatard, Cardinal Ritter, Cathedral and Roncalli.

“Our reaction is we are disappointed,” said Mike Higginbotham, director of communications at Brebeuf. “We’re disappointed for our student-athletes that this happened.”

Guerin Catholic athletic director Ryan Davis said the intention was for Brebeuf to be part of the golf meet. But after talking it over with the other schools that are part of the Indianapolis Archdiocese — Chatard. Ritter, Cathedral and Roncalli — the decision was made to leave Brebeuf out of the event, along with the All-Catholic cross-country meet (also now called the Guerin Catholic Invitational) on Sept. 14 at Guerin.

“We felt like it was in the best interest of the meet not to have Brebeuf participate,” Davis said. “Out of respect for our bishop (Guerin serves the Diocese of Lafayette) and his relationship with the Indianapolis Archdiocese, we made the decision to not have Brebeuf in the meet. There was nothing explicitly said to us that those schools would not compete, but they might have a tough time explaining that they competed with Brebeuf in an all-Catholic meet.”

Brebeuf Jesuit, which receives no financial support from the archdiocese but had been a partner since 1962, received a decree last month that the archbishop would no longer formally recognize Brebeuf as a Catholic school.

Methinks the Archdiocese is putting the screws to Brebeuf where students, parents, and alumni will feel it the easiest, extracurricular athletics,  in the hopes these groups will pressure the Jesuits to changes their ways and come back into the fold.

• Disdain 1

13 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Catholic snubbing towards Brebeuf now extended to athletic teams:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/08/14/brebeuf-jesuit-controversy-extends-girls-golf-cross-country-meets/2010928001/

Methinks the Archdiocese is putting the screws to Brebeuf where students, parents, and alumni will feel it the easiest, extracurricular athletics,  in the hopes these groups will pressure the Jesuits to changes their ways and come back into the fold.

The Jesuits have been doing things their way for almost 500 years now. They’re certainly not going to change over this piddling dust up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Irishman said:

Spineless move on the part of the Guerin AD. 

In a discussion with another Catholic AD a week or so ago, he alluded to the fact there could be some athletic ramifications from this situation which is sad. Politics has no place on the athletic field. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Irishman said:

Spineless move on the part of the Guerin AD. 

what's the big deal? The school was revoked of its Catholic status.  This was an all-Catholic invitation tournament.  

I get it you don't agree with the Indy Catholic church....but why is Guerin's AD spineless?  

People/organization's make decisions....there are ramifications.  Guessing there are very few all Catholic events, but I have zero problem with them inviting only Catholic schools to some athletic events.

• Disdain 1

42 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

what's the big deal? The school was revoked of its Catholic status.  This was an all-Catholic invitation tournament.  

I get it you don't agree with the Indy Catholic church....but why is Guerin's AD spineless?  

People/organization's make decisions....there are ramifications.  Guessing there are very few all Catholic events, but I have zero problem with them inviting only Catholic schools to some athletic events.

I made my comment based on his quote. His concern was about the relationship the bishop in Lafayette had with the Archbishop in Indy. He made a decision based on an assumption without actually talking to the bishop. In fact even the Archbishop in Indy has not said anything about the Catholic schools competing against Brebeuf. 

As a Catholic myself, the notion that suddenly, Brebeuf is no longer Catholic just because the Archbishop says they cannot call themselves a Catholic school is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I made my comment based on his quote. His concern was about the relationship the bishop in Lafayette had with the Archbishop in Indy. He made a decision based on an assumption without actually talking to the bishop. In fact even the Archbishop in Indy has not said anything about the Catholic schools competing against Brebeuf. 

As a Catholic myself, the notion that suddenly, Brebeuf is no longer Catholic just because the Archbishop says they cannot call themselves a Catholic school is ridiculous. 

That's fair...I read it very quickly.  Just guess I wasn't surprised it occurred...I don't think after talking with some of my friends with kids that have graduated from Catholic schools that there are a big number of Catholic school only events.  I do agree that while they may be only a few events, why make it an issue?  My guess is that this will get corrected.

I worded it wrongly...didn't mean to say the school wasn't Catholic...meant not part of the Archdiocese of Indpls.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this