Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Courier article on realignment

10 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

Evetentally Coach Lewis is not an easy person to coach with either. Cant think if their names but he had three or four good young and up and coming coaches in his system that he let get away. My son played for one of them as a freshman. Think they went to GS and may still be there. If you have trouble working with your assistants you will have trouble being successful. 

I could be wrong but I thought the only connection from Reitz to Gibson Southern was Coach Hart himself...and he played there as a QB in the early 2000s and later a coach under his father.  Things could have changed by now but I recall the coaching staff was largely made up of old friends from the days when John Hart was coaching at Mt. Carmel. 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

I guess no coach is going to be liked by everyone but not all Reitz people dislike Coach Lewis, myself included.

He was an assistant when I played at Reitz, and was a great role model for me. Always had a smile on his face and quick to give encouragement. He'd let you know if you messed up but he was always positive.

He was always gracious with his time for me as webmaster for ReitzFootball.com. I've stayed in touch with him over the years and am proud to call him a friend.

Glad to welcome him back to the SIAC and am looking forward to the competition.

Just my $0.02.

Dan "Rudy" Engler

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I could be wrong but I thought the only connection from Reitz to Gibson Southern was Coach Hart himself...and he played there as a QB in the early 2000s and later a coach under his father.  Things could have changed by now but I recall the coaching staff was largely made up of old friends from the days when John Hart was coaching at Mt. Carmel. 

Sorry I could be wrong. I knew Coach Hart played at Reitz I thought there were a couple two or three others. May the coaches I was thinking of went elsewhere. 

29 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

Sorry I could be wrong. I knew Coach Hart played at Reitz I thought there were a couple two or three others. May the coaches I was thinking of went elsewhere. 

There may be now...I just recall hearing some of my older family members who went to Mt Carmel talking about knowing all of the coaches or something...I think 1-2 of the original coaches hired on took jobs that forced them to no longer coach at GS so maybe their vacancy opened the door for some guys from reitz.  

The whole timeline is a little funny because Coach John Hart left for warren central and took Coach Nick Hart with him. And Lewis was signed on soon after...then Coach Nick Hart took the job at GS...the following year he had to address the media about false reports that he would be taking the Reitz job. I’ll find the address he made to the media 

This is what i referred to.  There were a lot of coaching changes in the area in 2012/2013. Very hard to tell who went where.  If I recall North Posey and Heritage Hills had their LONG time coaches retire that year too...as well as southridge forest park and I think mt Carmel.  Almost a complete changing of the guard for southern Indiana football

3FB0A2A1-1ACE-4B07-9559-F99F3562BD14.jpeg

4 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

We have 5 Coaches other than Coach Hart that coached at Reitz.  4 since day one...most recent Jeff Long former Reitz D Line coach.

Edited by Titan32

44 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

We have 5 Coaches other than Coach Hart that coached at Reitz.  4 since day one...most recent Jeff Long former Reitz D Line coach.

Oof. Big oof lol

Did they play at Mt. Carmel then?  

Edit...come to think about it. One absolutely had to be at mt Carmel as a player way back when given their last name 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

41 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Wow, thanks, i thought I was correct on that. How did we let that many good coaches get away. So if you have had 4 since day one of Coach Hart then that is four coaches that left during Coach Lewis time on the hill. GS gain I guess

Why would it matter which coaches stayed or left during Lewis hire. Remember,  Lewis was handed a loaded group. Anyone could have coached that group. 

Is it uncommon for coaches or assistant coaches to move around? Reitz picked up a really good coach this year from Central after their recent turnover at HC. Wow  how could Central let that happen? 

Not shocking that some of Nick or John’s friends went to GS. Just as some followed Brunson to Harrison.  

Question 

Is it uncommon when a new HC is hired for staff to be reassigned or asked to do a different job within the program?  Mainly because in high school a new coach is lucky to bring 1 or 2 from his former staff. 

Example; maybe a guy goes from D coordinator to OL/DL coach?  

I think most new HC in our area...especially EVSC has to work with the staff left and then evaluate where best served. I would guess some take the assignment and some look for what they consider a better opportunity. 

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I did not know Coach Long left and went to GS. Thats a huge get for them. He ha been at Reitz for  a long time. Hell of a d-line cosch.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 8:20 AM, Screagle said:

Just don’t see kids over coming coaching flaws enough to win state a couple regionals and 3 sectionals.  Reitz has never been short on talent.  I could be wrong but it just seems like a few years ago they had a really really talented group. Can’t remember all the names but Mahan was QB and had a phenomenal year.  Maybe around 2015 and 2016.  

That was a very good team but ran into East Central.  Big bruising running team as they usually are but couldnt pass a lick.  But somehow came up with a hail mary at the end to stop us in the regionals.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...