Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

60 to go get yelled at

JustRules

Question

Great article about the challenges of finding new officials and keeping the ones we get. Sometimes technology isn't a good thing.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27000520/a-crisis-mode-all-levels-how-technology-put-officials-tough-spot

Yes there is some verbal and occasional physical threats, but overall it's still a great opportunity to stay involved in the game. Please do 2 things if you read the article. First, look at your behavior at games and ask yourself if you are proud of the way you act. Are you part of the problem? Most people aren't. Second are you or anyone you know a good candidate to become an officials. Men/women, old/young, tall/short, skinny/fan, white/black/yellow/brown/red none of that matters. The men and women who officiate these games love doing it.

120 people spent an entire day Saturday at North Central listening to speakers and being taught on the field by some of the best high school, college, and NFL officials in the Midwest because they love it. Another 500 will attend shorter versions of a similar clinic in their area over the next few weeks. 800-900 will put on the stripes in mid-August as the scrimmages start. Come join in the fun!

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

I am a new official. I began last hoops season, continued in spring w sb, and begin fb this fall. Love it. I am actively recruiting as many people as I can. 

My son is 12.  When can he get licensed?  18?

4 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I am a new official. I began last hoops season, continued in spring w sb, and begin fb this fall. Love it. I am actively recruiting as many people as I can. 

You are the very definition of “glutton for punishment.”

Seriously, welcome to the wonderful world of officiating. Now that you’ve warmed up with basketball and softball, you can try your hand at the most difficult sport of all to officiate. Good luck!

21 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

As others have said licensed at 18 but seek opportunities for him to work youth leagues if they allow it when he's ready. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

• Like 1