Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HNAC Sectionals

4 minutes ago, littledog said:

All these teams should win fairly easily.

Knox could be the only "close" one if they decide to overlook WN since WN barely beat Lakeland earlier in the year. I don't see that happening with Knox feeling like everyone is disrespecting them in the rankings all year.

The bad thing with the rankings is that they are all filled out by coaches and media members that have no clue what the teams on the other side of the state are doing. Using 1A as an example, anyone with half of a brain knew North White was not a top 10 team and they lose to 1 2 win Caston team in round 1. Let Knox use it as motivation, but they shouldn't need to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FinePrint said:

I think Sagarin is pretty accurate by this point in the season.  It's interesting to see that Knox is #4 in 3A, even with their weak schedule (for 3A teams).  West Noble is #15.  WN had to come from behind last Friday to beat Marian.  Knox handled Lakeland easily.  I'm hoping Knox has another good showing this week.  If so, they should take care of business.

I don't know man, I still don't think Sagarin is quite right. Knox might be the #4 best team alive in 3A but they aren't the #4 best in 3A as a whole this year. Heck Sagarin has them as the #38 team in the state. I'm telling you right now there are more than 37 teams in the state of Indiana that can beat Knox right now. This isn't a knock on Knox (even tho it sure as heck sounds like it as I'm rereading it), but I just don't think Sagarin is something that I trust as far as what a team is ranked or whether or not they will win the game or not.

On 10/22/2023 at 2:25 PM, FinePrint said:

NJ sagarin rating went up by virtue of beating Pioneer. Triton’s sagarin went down after beating North Newton.  Judson is now rated higher than Triton. 

The head to head between Triton and NJ must not carry anymore weight than a normal game in sagarin rankings?

West Noble at Knox - The Chargers' best win was probably over Eastside back in early September.  Sagarin says both teams have played comparable schedules.  So I don't think WN being in the NECC will help them much.  I like Knox winning soundly at home this week.  The Redskins are on a mission.  Knox 42-21

LaVille at Whiting - I've never been there, but for some reason I'm thinking Whiting has a nice turf football field.  If that's true, it'll be a lot of fun for the Lancers!  They'll be able to dip into their entire playbook and rack up some offense against the Oilers.  LaVille 52-7

South Newton at North Judson - Nothing to see here.  The Bluejays will be methodical as they wear down the Rebels front seven.  Lots a yards on the ground and a couple of big play-action throws for Judson.  North Judson 49-7

Triton at Culver - Looks like it could be another sloppy night.  That won't help the Cavs out any.  But I am glad it's in Culver and not on the Trojan Tundra!  We want the field in great shape for the sectional championship next Friday against the Jays.  Triton should take care of business easily.  Triton 55-6

Caston at Carroll - Running clock to begin the second half.  Caston's season was made last week.  This week they'll find out how overmatched they are in the first 2 minutes.  I think Carroll has a chance to give Adams Central a run for their money in the Regional.  Carroll 63-0

27 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

Caston at Carroll - Running clock to begin the second half.  Caston's season was made last week.  This week they'll find out how overmatched they are in the first 2 minutes.  I think Carroll has a chance to give Adams Central a run for their money in the RegionalCarroll 63-0

Sounds like wishful thinking for Triton's state chances to me, but I wouldn't mind if that's the case so we can see if AC is as real as I think they are.

8 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

Sounds like wishful thinking for Triton's state chances to me, but I wouldn't mind if that's the case so we can see if AC is as real as I think they are.

Ha!  Didn't even think about the implications for Triton.  I don't think the Trojans can beat either AC or Carroll.  Maybe not even North Judson or Park Tudor!  (But I think we'll be okay against Culver.)

11 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

Ha!  Didn't even think about the implications for Triton.  I don't think the Trojans can beat either AC or Carroll.  Maybe not even North Judson or Park Tudor!  (But I think we'll be okay against Culver.)

Why the lack of confidence after the big win against NJ in the regular season?

Two cents worth:

have watched all the major players for 1A North. Think it comes down to four teams. No particular order

Triton.  
Triton’s Shively far and away best player and athlete. But he can’t do it alone.

Adams Central

AC most disciplined and prob best coached team. No real outstanding players but play great together. 

Carroll has some nice players and play some good defense but not sold as their schedule is really poor. Won’t know for sure till Regional. 

North Judson has prob the best 4-5 specimens you will see. Can their supporting cast plug the holes? 

Edited by RingLeader

North Judson is much better than they were that night, and Triton clicked in every possible way.  Check out the passing line:

image.png.2e0707179c0a57128ae7b27e9234e9c8.png

That isn't happening again.  Judson will adjust!

If NJ and Triton meet in the sectional final - and they definitely should - it will be a totally different game.  Triton won't be able to duplicate that performance again.  The second meeting will be won in the trenches, not through the air.

22 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

North Judson is much better than they were that night, and Triton clicked in every possible way.  Check out the passing line:

If NJ and Triton meet in the sectional final - and they definitely should - it will be a totally different game.  Triton won't be able to duplicate that performance again.  The second meeting will be won in the trenches, not through the air.

22 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

I think May & Workman along with Shively proved against Judson during the regular season that they were the 3 best athlete’s on the field BUT NJ will try to run the ball down Tritons throat and bleed clock!  Can Triton stop them?  I think they can!

1 hour ago, FinePrint said:

West Noble at Knox - The Chargers' best win was probably over Eastside back in early September.  Sagarin says both teams have played comparable schedules.  So I don't think WN being in the NECC will help them much.  I like Knox winning soundly at home this week.  The Redskins are on a mission.  Knox 42-21

LaVille at Whiting - I've never been there, but for some reason I'm thinking Whiting has a nice turf football field.  If that's true, it'll be a lot of fun for the Lancers!  They'll be able to dip into their entire playbook and rack up some offense against the Oilers.  LaVille 52-7

South Newton at North Judson - Nothing to see here.  The Bluejays will be methodical as they wear down the Rebels front seven.  Lots a yards on the ground and a couple of big play-action throws for Judson.  North Judson 49-7

Triton at Culver - Looks like it could be another sloppy night.  That won't help the Cavs out any.  But I am glad it's in Culver and not on the Trojan Tundra!  We want the field in great shape for the sectional championship next Friday against the Jays.  Triton should take care of business easily.  Triton 55-6

Caston at Carroll - Running clock to begin the second half.  Caston's season was made last week.  This week they'll find out how overmatched they are in the first 2 minutes.  I think Carroll has a chance to give Adams Central a run for their money in the Regional.  Carroll 63-0

With the season winding down I just wanted to note that I always enjoy reading your predictions. It's clear you put some thought and effort into these each week. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

I think May & Workman along with Shively proved against Judson during the regular season that they were the 3 best athlete’s on the field BUT NJ will try to run the ball down Tritons throat and bleed clock!  Can Triton stop them?  I think they can!

May in particular was impressive that night.  I don't know how many passes I've seen slip through his fingers through the years, but he had glue on them that night! 

I agree that Triton is capable of stopping long scoring drives.  They have a bend-not-break defense that's been pretty effective against everyone but Knox.  Judson had 275 rushing yards last time against Triton, but only 7 points.  They had several turnovers as I recall.  This game will be different!  I certainly believe Triton is good enough to continue this run.  I just hope they are mentally prepared to do what it takes.

54 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

Two cents worth:

have watched all the major players for 1A North. Think it comes down to four teams. No particular order

Triton.  
Triton’s Shively far and away best player and athlete. But he can’t do it alone.

Adams Central

AC most disciplined and prob best coached team. No real outstanding players but play great together. 

Carroll has some nice players and play some good defense but not sold as their schedule is really poor. Won’t know for sure till Regional. 

North Judson has prob the best 4-5 specimens you will see. Can their supporting cast plug the holes? 

I haven't seen Shively or any of the other teams in the north, so I'll have to trust your assessment of them. I will say that I hope the rest of the state thinks the way that you do in terms of AC not having outstanding players. Zac Wurm (he may not have played in the games that you've seen due to injury) and Keegan Bluhm are among the best in the state in terms of small school football and I'd argue that a there are several others on the team that would start for most, if not all, 1-3A schools.

8 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

I haven't seen Shively or any of the other teams in the north, so I'll have to trust your assessment of them. I will say that I hope the rest of the state thinks the way that you do in terms of AC not having outstanding players. Zac Wurm (he may not have played in the games that you've seen due to injury) and Keegan Bluhm are among the best in the state in terms of small school football and I'd argue that a there are several others on the team that would start for most, if not all, 1-3A schools.

I'd say most, not all. I'm sure Chatard is good with who they have, and Lutheran is probably okay with having their players over yours since they've beaten you 2 years in a row. Other than that you're probably pretty spot on.

3 hours ago, FinePrint said:

Whiting does have turf I believe, at least when we played some 20 years ago lol. 

1 hour ago, FlyingHigh said:

I thought I was complementing them as a team, I apologize. 

5 hours ago, RingLeader said:

I thought I was complementing them as a team, I apologize. 

I didn't think you were not complementing the team. I just wanted to make the point that they have some special players as well. I hope to see Shively in semistate if AC gets there just to play someone other than North Judson.

11 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

I didn't think you were not complementing the team. I just wanted to make the point that they have some special players as well. I hope to see Shively in semistate if AC gets there just to play someone other than North Judson.

Shively is a very good athlete!  But he's not a guy who can single-handedly win a game against a quality opponent.  He's great when the team is great!  And he'd be the first to tell you that.  If the line doesn't show up, his numbers show it.  (See the Knox and LaVille stat lines.)  Great athlete!  Great kid!  Just not Superman.

20 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Triton.  

Exactly!

32 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

Shively is a very good athlete!  But he's not a guy who can single-handedly win a game against a quality opponent.  He's great when the team is great!  And he'd be the first to tell you that.  If the line doesn't show up, his numbers show it.  (See the Knox and LaVille stat lines.)  Great athlete!  Great kid!  Just not Superman.

Exactly!

I’ve said it a hundred times,  you could have the best skill players in the state but if your line is overmatched,  it will be extremely difficult to get anything accomplished.  It ALWAYS starts in the trenches and lineman NEVER get the credit that they deserve!  That being said, Shively is MUCH more effective out of the shotgun versus under center!  Triton needs dry weather to execute against better teams!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

I’ve said it a hundred times,  you could have the best skill players in the state but if your line is overmatched,  it will be extremely difficult to get anything accomplished.  It ALWAYS starts in the trenches and lineman NEVER get the credit that they deserve!  That being said, Shively is MUCH more effective out of the shotgun versus under center!  Triton needs dry weather to execute against better teams!

The rain dances have already started in Starke county. 🤣