Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HCC/MIC Week #11

One combined thread this week for the beginning of the 6A tournament.

77-16 (.828) on the season...

Avon @ Pike:  Huge kudos to the Orioles for gutting out two consecutive wins to end the regular season after an 0-7 start.  Now, losing this game may be a blessing in disguise as what will happen to the winner the following week will not be pretty, but nonetheless the winner can hold their head high for 6 days.  Gimme Avon on the road, 27-17.

Brownsburg @ Ben Davis:  Many people's state finals contest as a top 100 team nationally is going home in week #1.  I've been as critical as anyone of Brownsburg's inability to convert regular season success into postseason success and even though this is likely their best team of the John Hart era, drawing a road game right off the bat against a team that is their equivalent gives me pause.  I am going to go with the Giants 30-27.

Fishers @ Homestead:  I think this game tells us a lot about Fishers as they will travel outside of the Indy metro area for the first time this fall.  If you want to be considered among the state title favorites, this is a business trip that is not close in the 4th quarter.  Which Homestead will show up?  The one who beat Snider or the one blown out by Noblesville?  I say somewhere in between.  Tigers roll 34-14.

Franklin Central @ Center Grove:  Poor FC.  Still getting their feet wet in the HCC and showing signs of improvement and they draw the defending state champions in round 1 for the second consecutive year.  This time ON the road.  CG escaped this one last year as I believe it was their closest contest of the tournament.  I think FC hangs early and CG pulls away late.  CG wins 27-14.

Hamilton Southeastern @ Fort Wayne Northrop:  The Royals' bus ride to this one may be longer than the game itself as Northrop will provide little resistance and I expect a running clock here.  Royals win 49-0.

Lawrence Central @ Lawrence North:  An intriguing one here as these two teams are fairly evenly matched and have the capability to make a run to regionals if they play well in round 2.  Round 1 of this rivalry went to LN at LOS in what was a surprise to me at the time.  LN never looked back and was actually a couple of plays away from winning 7-8 games.  I will take LN again, largely because they are at home.  Wildcats win 30-24.  

Noblesville @ Zionsville:  I have been anticipating Noblesville's demise for some time now as they are very inconsistent.  I heaped praise on them after they took Brownsburg down to the wire and a week later they lose at last place Avon.  I still feel they have potential to win this one and am going to (unconfidently) pick them on the road in a rematch of a game they comfortably won at home in the regular season.  Millers win 20-17.

North Central @ Cathedral:  The nightmare opening season for Coach Hart ends in the opening round of sectionals as they travel to a Cathedral squad with state title aspirations.  This was a 43 point contest in the regular season and this one should be no different.  Irish roll 42-0.

Perry Meridian @ Warren Central:  Sort of feel bad for the Falcons as they used to be the 6A door mat.  They have improved and are competitive most Friday nights as they have FIVE losses by one possession.   But then they drew Warren on the road in the first round of sectionals.  I think the Falcons make this one interesting early but fold after halftime.  Not enough depth.  WC wins 37-14.

Westfield @ Carmel:  This one REALLY intrigues me.  These two used to play early in the season annually and now Westfield may actually be the big brother.  Seems like two programs trending in opposite directions but I am willing to bet Carmel fights like hell on their home field.  I view this as a "changing of the guard" type of contest for US 31.  I've got Westfield making a deep run as they only had one blemish (although a big one) on their record in the regular season.  Rocks win 24-20.

What say you?

Edited by temptation

I've got Hamilton Eastern putting up 49 against Northrop in the first half. They call off the dogs and let the clock run out. Royals 56-0

Fisher's will be too much for Homestead. Indy teams normally put their best foot forward when they come to Fort Wayne. They know they can't sleep on Homestead or they'll suffer the same fate Snider did. Fishers 28-7

Early on I was going to Avon's football games to enjoy the band.  Then it happened.  Went to the band show and a football game broke out. They looked like a deserving team against Franklin Central...... losing in the last seconds.  Followed it up with a one score loss to Fishers.  Ended the season with 2 wins.  

Avon's history against Pike in the playoffs is very good.  I believe Pike has but one win out of 6 in the last 15 years.  O's will win this one and host the sectional championship!

8 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Early on I was going to Avon's football games to enjoy the band.  Then it happened.  Went to the band show and a football game broke out. They looked like a deserving team against Franklin Central...... losing in the last seconds.  Followed it up with a one score loss to Fishers.  Ended the season with 2 wins.  

Avon's history against Pike in the playoffs is very good.  I believe Pike has but one win out of 6 in the last 15 years.  O's will win this one and host the sectional championship!

The learning curve is getting shorter. That Avon team played BD closer than the final score indicated earlier this year. They scored a lot of points on the burg too.

On 10/23/2023 at 12:03 PM, temptation said:

Westfield @ Carmel:  This one REALLY intrigues me.  These two used to play early in the season annually and now Westfield may actually be the big brother. 

When????? I'm old(!) and you'd have to go way back before I can remember....

16 hours ago, temptation said:

You’re right.  My bad.

When Westfield rolled over Carmel at Carmel in the opening game of this sectional last year, it was Westfield's first win since the mid 50's. Now you might say that they took a break from Carmel in football, because they did not play them often if any at all after that until they drew each other in a 5A sectional in 2010 before there was 6A. During that time, Carmel took off in size while Westfield was fairly stagnant until around a dozen years ago. The two schools did not compete in much of anything as far as athletics unless matched up in a tournament. They next played in the 2018 6A sectional, Carmel winning 28-7.  Carmel would go on to be 6A runnerup to Warren Central.

• Brownsburg vs. Ben Davis: Is this a true road game for the 'Dogs? I would imagine they'll outdraw the Giants in fan attendance. I'm taking Brownsburg to solidify they now own the West Side and take 4 straight against Ben Davis by 6 points.
  • Westfield vs. Carmel: Talk about 2 programs going opposite directions. You have to go back to 2002 for the last time Carmel finished with a record not above .500. Westfield wasn't even playing in the highest classification in 2002. I'll take the 'Rocks by 14
  • Zionsville vs. Noblesville: I'll likely be in attendance for this one. IMO, it depends on which Zionsville offense shows up as I don't think the Zionsville DL will be able to stop the Noblesville rushing attack. Zionsville has a chance to win a close one if they can find a way to get Eugene HIlton receptions and space in the passing game. Otherwise, it'll be Noblesville by double digits again. I'll take the Millers by 10

On 10/25/2023 at 9:44 AM, Boilernation said:
  • Brownsburg vs. Ben Davis: Is this a true road game for the 'Dogs? I would imagine they'll outdraw the Giants in fan attendance. I'm taking Brownsburg to solidify they now own the West Side and take 4 straight against Ben Davis by 6 points.

Tell me you have not been to a Ben Davis game this year without telling me you have not been to a Ben Davis game this year.

Also, BD leads the series 7-5 vs Brownsburg and is 5-1 in the playoffs vs the Bulldogs. Brownsburg has won the last two vs. BD. It's 5/6 overall, but the 1 for the Giants is pretty big. 

I think this one is a coinflip game. Should be a real war.

1 1980-81 Ben Davis 35 Brownsburg 7   Brownsburg BD, 1-0  
2 1981-82 Ben Davis 15 Brownsburg 7   Ben Davis BD, 2-0  
3 2007-08 Ben Davis 35 Brownsburg 13   Ben Davis BD, 3-0 SECTIONAL; 400th win in program history
4 2008-09 Ben Davis 45 Brownsburg 10   Brownsburg BD, 4-0 SECTIONAL
5 2011-12 Ben Davis 38 Brownsburg 31 2OT Ben Davis BD, 5-0 SECTIONAL
6 2016-17 Ben Davis 49 Brownsburg 13   Brownsburg BD, 6-0 SECTIONAL
7 2019-20 Ben Davis 24 Brownsburg 29   Brownsburg BD, 6-1  
8 2020-21 Ben Davis 7 Brownsburg 38   Ben Davis BD, 6-2  
9 2021-22 Ben Davis 22 Brownsburg 33   Lucas Oil Stadium BD, 6-3  
10 2021-22 Ben Davis 32 Brownsburg 14   Ben Davis BD, 7-3 REGIONAL
11 2022-23 Ben Davis 16 Brownsburg 21   Ben Davis BD, 7-4  
12 2022-23 Ben Davis 20 Brownsburg 48   Ben Davis BD, 7-5 SECTIONAL
Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Tell me you have not been to a Ben Davis game this year without telling me you have not been to a Ben Davis game this year.

Also, BD leads the series 7-5 vs Brownsburg and is 5-1 in the playoffs vs the Bulldogs. Brownsburg has won the last two vs. BD. It's 5/6 overall, but the 1 for the Giants is pretty big. 

I think this one is a coinflip game. Should be a real war.

1 1980-81 Ben Davis 35 Brownsburg 7   Brownsburg BD, 1-0  
2 1981-82 Ben Davis 15 Brownsburg 7   Ben Davis BD, 2-0  
3 2007-08 Ben Davis 35 Brownsburg 13   Ben Davis BD, 3-0 SECTIONAL; 400th win in program history
4 2008-09 Ben Davis 45 Brownsburg 10   Brownsburg BD, 4-0 SECTIONAL
5 2011-12 Ben Davis 38 Brownsburg 31 2OT Ben Davis BD, 5-0 SECTIONAL
6 2016-17 Ben Davis 49 Brownsburg 13   Brownsburg BD, 6-0 SECTIONAL
7 2019-20 Ben Davis 24 Brownsburg 29   Brownsburg BD, 6-1  
8 2020-21 Ben Davis 7 Brownsburg 38   Ben Davis BD, 6-2  
9 2021-22 Ben Davis 22 Brownsburg 33   Lucas Oil Stadium BD, 6-3  
10 2021-22 Ben Davis 32 Brownsburg 14   Ben Davis BD, 7-3 REGIONAL
11 2022-23 Ben Davis 16 Brownsburg 21   Ben Davis BD, 7-4  
12 2022-23 Ben Davis 20 Brownsburg 48   Ben Davis BD, 7-5 SECTIONAL

You are correct. I was looking at the August 20, 2021 game and overlooked the November 12th win for BD. Nevertheless, Brownsburg has won 5 of the last 6 matchups. What has changed for BD regarding attendance this year? It was clear in the past couple of televised games I've watched (prior to this year) of theirs that the fan support was sparse. 

47 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

You are correct. I was looking at the August 20, 2021 game and overlooked the November 12th win for BD. Nevertheless, Brownsburg has won 5 of the last 6 matchups. What has changed for BD regarding attendance this year? It was clear in the past couple of televised games I've watched (prior to this year) of theirs that the fan support was sparse. 

IMG was packed.

I would like to see Brownsburg win this week because I would like to see them face off against Center grove later, that is if CG makes it to Semi-State. I think Center grove matches up against Brownsburg better than Ben Davis. Ben Davis has 33 sacks that could be problematic to Center grove's passing game, and I think Center grove can handle Brownsburg's run game better than Ben Davis's passing game. 

Avon over Pike by 7

Ben Davis 38, Brownsburg 27

Fishers over Homestead by 21

Center Grove over Franklin Central by 17

Hamilton SE over FW Northrop by 56

LN over LC by 7

Noblesville over Zionsville by 10

Cathedral over North Central by 49

Warren Central over Perry Meridian by 14

Westfield over Carmel by 10

On 10/26/2023 at 9:50 AM, BDGiant93 said:

Congrats on the win...great game and grit by Ben Davis to come back! Zachary is who I thought he is. But, C'mon man, you can't break out the "Tell Me" meme for that crowd. De Facto Sectional Championship with 2 of the top teams in the Midwest that are neighboring school districts in a beautifully renovated statdium and Ben Davis drew at most 40% (being generous) of their home stands. I'm really hoping we get to see a Ben Davis vs. Center Grove matchup. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

Avon over Pike by 7

Ben Davis 38, Brownsburg 27

Fishers over Homestead by 21

Center Grove over Franklin Central by 17

Hamilton SE over FW Northrop by 56

LN over LC by 7

Noblesville over Zionsville by 10

Cathedral over North Central by 49

Warren Central over Perry Meridian by 14

Westfield over Carmel by 10

Nice...if not for a 1pt Pike win, you ran the table.....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Congrats on the win...great game and grit by Ben Davis to come back! Zachary is who I thought he is. But, C'mon man, you can't break out the "Tell Me" meme for that crowd. De Facto Sectional Championship with 2 of the top teams in the Midwest that are neighboring school districts in a beautifully renovated statdium and Ben Davis drew at most 40% (being generous) of their home stands. I'm really hoping we get to see a Ben Davis vs. Center Grove matchup. 

Last night's attendance was less than the Homecoming attendance. Don't know why. I was wrong, and I admit it. 

19 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Last night's attendance was less than the Homecoming attendance. Don't know why. I was wrong, and I admit it. 

Perplexing. Beautiful fall night for football and 2 powerhouses fighting to get closer to an achievable State Title. I would have went but the Better Half doesn’t like missing Zionsville games. 

Edited by Boilernation

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Perplexing. Beautiful fall night for football and 2 powerhouses fighting to get closer to an achievable State Title. I would have went but the Better Half doesn’t like missing Zionsville games. 

It wasn't a small crowd. It just wasn't nearly as big as it could/should have been on the BD side. Brownsburg traveled the short distance and had that side looking impressive. Largest crowd I've seen over there in years.