Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 30 Championship Vincennes Lincoln @ Gibson Southern

SECTIONAL 30
Vincennes Lincoln (8-3) at Gibson Southern (9-2)
GAME TIME: 6:30 pm CT, Jewell Field.
COACHES: Levi Salters, 44-35 in 7th year at Vincennes. Nick Hart, 124-23 in 12th year at Gibson Southern.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Gibson Southern, 75.59, 39th overall, 3rd in 3A. Vincennes, 72.58, 51st overall, 8th in 3A.
LAST OUTING: Vincennes defeated Pike Central, 63-0. Gibson Southern defeated Washington, 48-14.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Vincennes 52-63. Gibson Southern 57-47.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Gibson Southern, 6-5
LAST MEETING: Gibson Southern, 63-42, Oct. 21, 2022, sectional.
ALL-TIME TOURNAMENT SERIES: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Gibson Southern, 28-24.

All-time Series:
Vincennes Lincoln vs. Gibson Southern

Date   Result   Series
09-05-1980 Vincennes Lincoln 17 - 20 Gibson Southern 0-1
09-11-1981 Vincennes Lincoln 12 - 13 Gibson Southern 0-2
09-10-1982 Vincennes Lincoln 14 - 7 Gibson Southern 1-2
09-23-1983 Vincennes Lincoln 14 - 0 Gibson Southern 2-2
09-21-1984 Vincennes Lincoln 13 - 12 Gibson Southern 3-2
09-27-1985 Vincennes Lincoln 9 - 6 Gibson Southern 4-2
09-26-1986 Vincennes Lincoln 14 - 6 Gibson Southern 5-2
09-25-1987 Vincennes Lincoln 41 - 7 Gibson Southern 6-2
09-23-1988 Vincennes Lincoln 34 - 0 Gibson Southern 7-2
09-22-1989 Vincennes Lincoln 27 - 0 Gibson Southern 8-2
09-21-1990 Vincennes Lincoln 40 - 6 Gibson Southern 9-2
09-27-1991 Vincennes Lincoln 60 - 26 Gibson Southern 10-2
09-25-1992 Vincennes Lincoln 29 - 7 Gibson Southern 11-2
10-23-2009 Vincennes Lincoln 9 - 24 Gibson Southern 11-3
10-28-2011 Vincennes Lincoln 28 - 7 Gibson Southern 12-3
10-26-2012 Vincennes Lincoln 31 - 37 Gibson Southern 12-4
10-25-2013 Vincennes Lincoln 21 - 42 Gibson Southern 12-5
10-23-2015 Vincennes Lincoln 20 - 64 Gibson Southern 12-6
10-27-2017 Vincennes Lincoln 28 - 39 Gibson Southern 12-7
10-21-2022 Vincennes Lincoln 42 - 63 Gibson Southern 12-8

Vincennes Lincoln leads the all time series 12-8

CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings
PROJECT A MATCHUP
neutral field
[2023] Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN) 31 (74%), [2023] Lincoln (Vincennes, IN) 21 (26%)

image.png.432cb5eda08df836126fbd7b3af0d829.png

11 minutes ago, GS54 said:

Any hope?  This game is a coin flip to me. They played Memorial and Jasper well without him right?

Not to stray too far away from my SIAC/Sectional 24 thread but thought I'd offer my opinion on this.

Yes, they beat Memorial 6-0 without him. However, their offense struggled to do anything (0 offensive points) and had Memorial played with a healthy roster as well, they likely would've been able to beat VL.

They lost to Jasper 13-0 the following week. Again, they struggled to do anything offensively (0 offensive points) without their QB1. However, they were able to hold Jasper to 13 points when they had come in on a good roll, if I remember correctly. 

I will be the first to admit I do not know as much about either team as some obviously will be able to talk more about each of them, but, from my unofficial view, this game is absolutely a toss up. They didn't need to demonstrate if QB1 was fully healthy but my guess is he is or they wouldn't have risked it against inferior opponents in their previous sectional games.

I know even less about the teams GS has played all season in (and out) of the PAC but I would bet this VL D is one of the best they will see, besides maybe those KY teams? 

Edited by FootballFan2000

26 minutes ago, jets said:

I imagine any hope that VL would have in this game is hinged on the health of QB1. I know he has played the last couple weeks, but is he fully healthy and moving about like normal? 

I haven’t seen any highlights/film on him, but strictly looking at the stats, he has already thrown for 5 TDs, but has only rushed for 15 yards in the 2 games he has back in. Likely since they didn’t want him running the play against weaker opponents and avoiding another injury.

36 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I haven’t seen any highlights/film on him, but strictly looking at the stats, he has already thrown for 5 TDs, but has only rushed for 15 yards in the 2 games he has back in. Likely since they didn’t want him running the play against weaker opponents and avoiding another injury.

He looks like he can move just fine on the film of the last two games.....roll outs etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballFan2000 said:

Not to stray too far away from my SIAC/Sectional 24 thread but thought I'd offer my opinion on this.

Yes, they beat Memorial 6-0 without him. However, their offense struggled to do anything (0 offensive points) and had Memorial played with a healthy roster as well, they likely would've been able to beat VL.

They lost to Jasper 13-0 the following week. Again, they struggled to do anything offensively (0 offensive points) without their QB1. However, they were able to hold Jasper to 13 points when they had come in on a good roll, if I remember correctly. 

I will be the first to admit I do not know as much about either team as some obviously will be able to talk more about each of them, but, from my unofficial view, this game is absolutely a toss up. They didn't need to demonstrate if QB1 was fully healthy but my guess is he is or they wouldn't have risked it against inferior opponents in their previous sectional games.

I know even less about the teams GS has played all season in (and out) of the PAC but I would bet this VL D is one of the best they will see, besides maybe those KY teams? 

Are are talking about the same defense that gave up 441 (130 through the air and 311 on the ground) yards to Evansville north on 59 plays?  The one that gives up more passing yards than any other teams in the SIAC not named Harrison or Central (same story as last season)?  W or L any team that can throw the ball at all scored 3 TDs against VL.

I think the question is...who has a good offense in the SIAC this year?  Would you say North has a good offense?  Is this a fabulous parody year in the SIAC as all of those 6-3 teams are just really good....or are they all just...meh?

• Like 1

I think you can throw all the stats out the window on this one. Lincoln will be ready. May just come down to a gut check or two. Least amount of mistakes may win it.  Whatever happens, I'm expecting a slobber knocker!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballFan2000 said:

I would bet this VL D is one of the best they will see

That’s kinda what I was thinking about VL when they play us. I think our D is really good. I’m not flipping a coin on this game. I think we take care of business Friday night at home. 

Edited by TitanFootball

16 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Are are talking about the same defense that gave up 441 (130 through the air and 311 on the ground) yards to Evansville north on 59 plays?  The one that gives up more passing yards than any other teams in the SIAC not named Harrison or Central (same story as last season)?  W or L any team that can throw the ball at all scored 3 TDs against VL.

I think the question is...who has a good offense in the SIAC this year?  Would you say North has a good offense?  Is this a fabulous parody year in the SIAC as all of those 6-3 teams are just really good....or are they all just...meh?

Are you comparing your rushing attack to being similar to North? I can guarantee your size up front on either side of the ball is not the same. A 5A team with that enrollment should be able to roll 3A teams, on most occasions. Or that you guys can pass it better than someone in the SIAC? I don't know your stats or what point you were trying to prove.

Where would you rank your offense against those in the SIAC since you have all the stats easily accessible? Honest question because I do not know. 

What I do know is that VL has a better D than Washington, MV, or Boonville. It's been 5 weeks since your offense has been challenged, based on your schedule. I'm sure everyone will have their teams as prepped as possible. I look forward to following this one from Enlow.

2 hours ago, FootballFan2000 said:

The Memorial and Jasper games were pretty much identical for Lincoln offensively. They were able to move it between the 20’s but struggled in the red zone. They did convert the 2 field goals against memorial but against Jasper elected to go on 4th down the few times they were close due to the situation (the cats scored all 13 of their points in the 1st q I believe).

Something to consider…QB2 is also slot receiver so the Lincoln passing game was hindered x 2. 

5 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

Are you comparing your rushing attack to being similar to North? I can guarantee your size up front on either side of the ball is not the same. A 5A team with that enrollment should be able to roll 3A teams, on most occasions. Or that you guys can pass it better than someone in the SIAC? I don't know your stats or what point you were trying to prove.

Where would you rank your offense against those in the SIAC since you have all the stats easily accessible? Honest question because I do not know. 

What I do know is that VL has a better D than Washington, MV, or Boonville. It's been 5 weeks since your offense has been challenged, based on your schedule. I'm sure everyone will have their teams as prepped as possible. I look forward to following this one from Enlow.

It also been that long since VL has been challenged.  Without getting into a lot of data, the point is, upon careful analysis, I don't think the Vincennes D might is as good as you might think.  I also believe teams that I believe aren't as proficient at us at passing have no trouble scoring at least 3 TDs against Lincoln.  That's why I asked the question I did on the Memorial VL thread.  The only real shade thrown over there is against poor Porter Rode.  

43 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

The Memorial and Jasper games were pretty much identical for Lincoln offensively. They were able to move it between the 20’s but struggled in the red zone. They did convert the 2 field goals against memorial but against Jasper elected to go on 4th down the few times they were close due to the situation (the cats scored all 13 of their points in the 1st q I believe).

Something to consider…QB2 is also slot receiver so the Lincoln passing game was hindered x 2. 

Salters said on his final radio show of the season that QB2 is the "best" receiver on the team.  You are familiar with those radio guys right?

Edited by Titan32