Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

Here are the final scores for the other two games not mentioned.

Greenwood 43, Jennings County 12

Castle 35, New Albany 17

Seymour is our only hope now, although they lost at Bloomington South 47-0 two weeks ago. Seymour is the only HHC team in the last two years to advance to a sectional championship.

Looking at the South game a couple of weeks ago thru a coach’s eyes tough game. Both had to figure there’s a reasonable chance they’re going to be seeing each other again in three weeks. I don’t think there’s any argument from anyone that South has a better team. But if I’m looking at it from Seymour’s standpoint point I gotta think I can beat them once. I’m playing very vanilla, and just trying to get out of there with no one getting hurt. Seymour will no doubt have their hands full, but in a one and done format, anything can happen. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer

This week’s game (week 12 - sectional championship):

#3/#2 Bloomington South (9-1) at Seymour (6-4)

Notes:

-Bloomington South is #3 in the media poll and #2 in the coaches poll.

-Bloomington South beat Seymour 47-0 in week 9.

-Bloomington South leads the all-time series with their fellow former South Central Conference member, Seymour, 12-6 and has won the last four games. Seymour’s last win was in 1990.

-This is the first ever postseason matchup between Bloomington South and Seymour.

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Notes:

-Bloomington South leads the all-time series with their fellow former South Central Conference member, Seymour, 12-6 and has won the last four games. Seymour’s last win was in 1990.

-This is the first ever postseason matchup between Bloomington South and Seymour.

I’m kind of surprised they’ve only played 18 times. Back in my day we played them every year. I think there was a time in mid 90’s when the SCC was in its death throes they didn’t play every year. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I’m kind of surprised they’ve only played 18 times. Back in my day we played them every year. I think there was a time in mid 90’s when the SCC was in its death throes they didn’t play every year. 

If you included South’s time as Bloomington High School then it’d be much more than 18.

6B9F9E95-A18E-4B1E-9504-6AEEBEF8ED96.jpeg

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

If you included South’s time as Bloomington High School then it’d be much more than 18.

6B9F9E95-A18E-4B1E-9504-6AEEBEF8ED96.jpeg

Gotcha, I was including Bloomington HS as well. But from my recollection that is correct. Looks like it was more in the late 80’s when it got iffy. 
FWIW, local paper had the two teams playing only three times, in the article about last years game. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Notes:

Bloomington South

• Thanks 1

Question for @Impartial_Observer.

Next week we’ll be down to 8 teams left in each classification for a total of 48 teams. That’s 24 games. Regionals is usually the round where we start seeing some games needing to be played on Saturdays because of travel distances. If this is the case, since there are 24 games, will there be 24 different officiating crews for those games? Or, could any of those crews that worked a Friday night game also work a Saturday game?

43 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Question for @Impartial_Observer.

Next week we’ll be down to 8 teams left in each classification for a total of 48 teams. That’s 24 games. Regionals is usually the round where we start seeing some games needing to be played on Saturdays because of travel distances. If this is the case, since there are 24 games, will there be 24 different officiating crews for those games? Or, could any of those crews that worked a Friday night game also work a Saturday game?

About the only time we could conceivably see crews working two games would be the first round. And we’re getting closer. I believe there were 129 crews apply this year for 124 first round games. The bigger issue with games being moved to Saturday is a lot of guys have college/NFL responsibilities. In that case, if there’s a conflict, they will just switch the crew to a Friday game and move that crew to Saturday. 
I realize the NFL isn’t playing on Saturday yet, but guys will have to be in town for meetings, film, pregame, etc. 

36 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

About the only time we could conceivably see crews working two games would be the first round. And we’re getting closer. I believe there were 129 crews apply this year for 124 first round games. The bigger issue with games being moved to Saturday is a lot of guys have college/NFL responsibilities. In that case, if there’s a conflict, they will just switch the crew to a Friday game and move that crew to Saturday. 
I realize the NFL isn’t playing on Saturday yet, but guys will have to be in town for meetings, film, pregame, etc. 

ok so the IHSAA or another governing body doesn’t look at it and go, “That crew is one of the worst of the 24. Let’s let this better crew work a Friday night game and then work Saturday too.”

33 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

ok so the IHSAA or another governing body doesn’t look at it and go, “That crew is one of the worst of the 24. Let’s let this better crew work a Friday night game and then work Saturday too.”

No. I can give you all the BS criteria they tell us but the bottom line is Robert will do whatever he pleases and you will like it. I can tell you a crew in southern Indiana who in my opinion is an outstanding crew that have had the rating and eligibility to work the finals for the last four years and have been snubbed every year. Including being the #1 rated crew in the state one of those four years. Multiple state finals worked in multiple sports for the crew members. White hat has worked the finals in Football, Baseball, and Basketball. 
This is beginning to be a bone of contention among officials, we have a system in place but North Meridian just does whatever they please. You reach a point in your officiating career where you just say eff it, I got better things to do every Friday night. 
I retired from Friday nights and have been doing mostly MS and a few JV/Frosh games and I had a ball just working the games. No politics, no jumping thru all the BS hoops they force us to jump thru. I haven’t applied for the tournament in Softball since 2019 and we (our crew) opted to call it a day last February and I even had more fun during SB season this year. 
I was asked by Seymour’s athletic department to take care of the officials for their home games this year and I enjoyed it. Still a little fellowship with “the guys” and no responsibility. For me it’s always been more about being out with “my guys” on a Friday night than being an official. You’re a team, you’re involved in something bigger than you. Does that make any sense?

Sorry for the rambling response I hope I’ve answered your question. 

Lastly I’ll say, you have no idea how many guys have asked me….”do you miss it?”  And the answer is an emphatic no. I think we have a real problem coming in the not too distant future with football officials. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I think we have a real problem coming in the not too distant future with football officials. 

As an observer, I am in contact with many different officials, from all parts of the state. The “problem” has already begun. And reversing the trend is going to prove very difficult.

13 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

No. I can give you all the BS criteria they tell us but the bottom line is Robert will do whatever he pleases and you will like it. I can tell you a crew in southern Indiana who in my opinion is an outstanding crew that have had the rating and eligibility to work the finals for the last four years and have been snubbed every year. Including being the #1 rated crew in the state one of those four years. Multiple state finals worked in multiple sports for the crew members. White hat has worked the finals in Football, Baseball, and Basketball. 
This is beginning to be a bone of contention among officials, we have a system in place but North Meridian just does whatever they please. You reach a point in your officiating career where you just say eff it, I got better things to do every Friday night. 
I retired from Friday nights and have been doing mostly MS and a few JV/Frosh games and I had a ball just working the games. No politics, no jumping thru all the BS hoops they force us to jump thru. I haven’t applied for the tournament in Softball since 2019 and we (our crew) opted to call it a day last February and I even had more fun during SB season this year. 
I was asked by Seymour’s athletic department to take care of the officials for their home games this year and I enjoyed it. Still a little fellowship with “the guys” and no responsibility. For me it’s always been more about being out with “my guys” on a Friday night than being an official. You’re a team, you’re involved in something bigger than you. Does that make any sense?

Sorry for the rambling response I hope I’ve answered your question. 

Lastly I’ll say, you have no idea how many guys have asked me….”do you miss it?”  And the answer is an emphatic no. I think we have a real problem coming in the not too distant future with football officials. 

Makes perfect sense. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

As an observer, I am in contact with many different officials, from all parts of the state. The “problem” has already begun. And reversing the trend is going to prove very difficult.

So what’s the contingency plan when crap really hits the fan? Has that been discussed? For football, are we going to have to implement bye weeks? Will some games just not get played? Will high school-sponsored sports cease to exist?