Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Finally got around to starting a new profile.      Any news on CI for 2019. At this point as a bhss supporter im way outside looking in. Im actually  probably more of a Snider fan than anyone in this area.  School districts here are numb in the brain.     But i still catch a few bhss games like the cn bhss or martinsville bhss . 

How does the conference look to shake out?    Columbus North most likely to win it. Bhss battling it out for second with either of the remaining teams im guessing. South  is going to have a fresh qb with very little experience  this year but they have a lot of skill experience returning he will be the deciding factor on Souths success.    Any other news ? Other than columbus ' receiver transferring to brownsburg? 

• 1 month later...

Conference Indiana has definitely gone by the wayside joining itself to obscurity in the landscape like urban blight has done to gary lew wallace high school. Rarely do i get a comment from a member school's fanbase other than the catholic teams fans that were added last season. An occasional comment from  a Columbus east fan that is only around when the other team from columbus is playing  . Strangely when i went to college the first time a guy in our dorm was a graduate of lew wallace high school.    

Anyways just another attempt to strum up  some conversation with member school  fans on the first weeks games non conference schedule looks as if Columbus North has added Avon. That will  a be semi attractive first week matchup. Bloomington South vs Castle also looks interesting.  As always southport/roncalli should be a grinder. Well August 1st is here and the games are in sight. I think i just heard my voice echo in this empty conference Indiana thread. Hello anyone out there? 

Edited by MuleDriver
  • Like 1

It's just not the same now. Before Pike and LC left for the MIC, an argument could've been made that they were the 3rd or 4th best conference in the state when it came to football. Pike, LC, CN, Southport and Bloomington schools were at times ranked and ranked pretty high at various times dating back to 2008. 

With the defections of Pike, LC, Perry meridian and Franklin central over the years and only adding the Terre Haute school's its dropped the conference down big time. 

This season it'll be Columbus North and everyone else. Southport has built up a decent program but they'll be replacing a lot. Maybe they'll be better than advertised. Bloomington South will still be a tough out in 5A even though they've taken a step back since there nice runs from 14-16...

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:30 PM, SouthernStateofMind said:

It's just not the same now. Before Pike and LC left for the MIC, an argument could've been made that they were the 3rd or 4th best conference in the state when it came to football. Pike, LC, CN, Southport and Bloomington schools were at times ranked and ranked pretty high at various times dating back to 2008. 

With the defections of Pike, LC, Perry meridian and Franklin central over the years and only adding the Terre Haute school's its dropped the conference down big time. 

This season it'll be Columbus North and everyone else. Southport has built up a decent program but they'll be replacing a lot. Maybe they'll be better than advertised. Bloomington South will still be a tough out in 5A even though they've taken a step back since there nice runs from 14-16...

Agree those teams leaving really led to the conference dropping off into oblivion. Prior to 2008 the conference had some highly ranked teams in the late 90's (bhss grossman era )  Nice to see there is a member fan  still online .. ..   .

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:24 AM, MuleDriver said:

Agree those teams leaving really led to the conference dropping off into oblivion. Prior to 2008 the conference had some highly ranked teams in the late 90's (bhss grossman era )  Nice to see there is a member fan  still online .. ..   .

I thought I would add that I'm still around although a year older like everyone else. I have to admit that I'm so far removed from the South program as far as knowing the makeup of this year's team, that I couldn't possibly add anything on them that would be of any substance. I keep looking for some kind of season preview on them, but haven't seen anything yet. I'm a subscriber to the HTO, but they have yet to get into any type of season preview on the local teams. I will still follow them closely as the season opener nears.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ptr said:

I thought I would add that I'm still around although a year older like everyone else. I have to admit that I'm so far removed from the South program as far as knowing the makeup of this year's team, that I couldn't possibly add anything on them that would be of any substance. I keep looking for some kind of season preview on them, but haven't seen anything yet. I'm a subscriber to the HTO, but they have yet to get into any type of season preview on the local teams. I will still follow them closely as the season opener nears.

i know a lot of folks disliked rex kirts but his coverage was the best . SInce he left the way they cover the teams has changed quite a bit. He was assigned to south as their beat writer. They were better at sports so they got more coverage than north but it still made the north fans mad. Now they just rotate guys to different schools . But yeah rex kirts used to do a really good pre season segment on south. 

1 hour ago, MuleDriver said:

i know a lot of folks disliked rex kirts but his coverage was the best . SInce he left the way they cover the teams has changed quite a bit. He was assigned to south as their beat writer. They were better at sports so they got more coverage than north but it still made the north fans mad. Now they just rotate guys to different schools . But yeah rex kirts used to do a really good pre season segment on south. 

I still see him at South's BB and football games, so in addition to being the beat writer, he was also a big fan of the school's teams. I don't know his background, but I'm guessing he was a South grad. You are right about his coverage of Panther sports, he was really on top of everything and really informative.

Edited by ptr

1 hour ago, ptr said:

I still see him at South's BB and football games, so in addition to being the beat writer, he was also a big fan of the school's teams. I don't know his background, but I'm guessing he was a South grad. You are right about his coverage of Panther sports, he was really on top of everything and really informative.

I sat next to him at a south game one time a few years ago . I said hi rex i doubt you will remember me. He said well i don't know try me.  He wrote a senior article on every senior every season. I still have the print of mine. I told him my first name and he was able to remember the last name. He has a really great memory.  Real nice guy also. Iv'e also seen Joe Smith around town several times in recent years. He didnt' remember me but i wouldn't expect him too. Joe is a great guy as well. Too bad those guys are getting up there. WIth them they will take a whole era of  high school sports memories in monroe county. Joe does iu halftimes also. I think he is already a hall of fame sports reporter. 

Edited by MuleDriver

Went to souths scrimmage today. Couple players not dressed. Jr d lineman Boyce who had some shining moments last year 6'4 260 and senior rb maveric thiery was not dressed. Hope these guys get healthy .Other than that the qb battle is between two juniors both 6 '1 190 pounds . O line looks bigger than average in height at least with 6'6 230 pound james bomba at te ( cpmmoitt miami ohio) and another 6'5 kid  and your average 6'1 250 pound guys rounding them out. Wr has a lot of experience in returners sean ascui , jalen peck and basketball football player jordan meeks. so im excited to see it get going. Im hoping the Panthers can stay relatively healthy this season.  Just like every team there seemed to be a lot of things to work on. But it will be interesting to see which kid gets the nod at QB.   After castle's close game with Columbus east in the regional last season i am really looking forward to that match up. It has the looks of a possible tourney match up latter on this season since both arte in the same sectional it is very likely they will meet in november. 

Maybe just scrap the conference idea and do what ohio does. Don't they have districts based on school size and locations? Then the best teams in the districts make the playoffs?   It is the same argument every year.  Some areas just never will have a good option for a conference . I liked the old S.C.C. conference was disappointed when it disbanded. Seymour rushville connersville martinsville bloomington south sort of what it said south central indiana. But those days are long gone.  Oh well.    Not really sure what the future holds for conference indiana. 

On 8/10/2019 at 11:27 AM, MuleDriver said:

Went to souths scrimmage today. Couple players not dressed. Jr d lineman Boyce who had some shining moments last year 6'4 260 and senior rb maveric thiery was not dressed. Hope these guys get healthy .Other than that the qb battle is between two juniors both 6 '1 190 pounds . O line looks bigger than average in height at least with 6'6 230 pound james bomba at te ( cpmmoitt miami ohio) and another 6'5 kid  and your average 6'1 250 pound guys rounding them out. Wr has a lot of experience in returners sean ascui , jalen peck and basketball football player jordan meeks. so im excited to see it get going. Im hoping the Panthers can stay relatively healthy this season.  Just like every team there seemed to be a lot of things to work on. But it will be interesting to see which kid gets the nod at QB.   After castle's close game with Columbus east in the regional last season i am really looking forward to that match up. It has the looks of a possible tourney match up latter on this season since both arte in the same sectional it is very likely they will meet in november. 

It's been awhile since South has had any real size in the 0-line, and it seems in recent seasons they have been really unlucky with injuries at that position. Based on the scrimmage, who do you see as having the best shot at being the starting QB?

8 minutes ago, ptr said:

It's been awhile since South has had any real size in the 0-line, and it seems in recent seasons they have been really unlucky with injuries at that position. Based on the scrimmage, who do you see as having the best shot at being the starting QB?

So the battle for qb between #4 d.j. bull and #10 mason david. I believe Mason David started j . v. last season. However the scrimmage showed me anyways  that bull completed more passes and was more of a threat on the ground. Davids passes were on target  but the receivers dropped a lot more than the pther qb not sure why . David did have a long td pass but wasnt as effective as bull.  They split time during the scrimmage. Im not sure if coach has one slated #1 at this time or not. But rotating series made me think that it is still up for grabs, 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 1:09 PM, ptr said:

I, and it seems in recent seasons they have been really unlucky with injuries at that position. 

Seems like ever since 2014 even though south has had a lot of success in the post season they always did it with less players than they started out with which is true of every team but the injuries or expulsions from the team were higher than the average team.  And every season come playoff time i felt bad for always bringing up the missing players when talking about why we lost in the tourney. But it was true . Cant take away 4 or 5 of your top 22 players and expect to compete deep in the tourney. So here's hoping for a healthy season for the  south panthers. 

@ptr       Went to scrimmage tonight. South looked like they were in their first week of practice . LC looked ho hum . . . . ..Disorganized feeling during the scrimmage. Coach Mo was awol (could have been in pressbox) A lot of people will say it is because teams just don't show much during scrimmages. Yeah that is true however lc succeeded in scoring 3 or 4 td's vs souths #1 d and south only got two vs lc's #1's . But south did a lot of substituting  just to be fair to LC i am going to give them the edge in td's vs #1 defenses based on who i thought was #1 d for south.  I think they had a 2 to 1 advantage in scores with starters on field. I wasn't expecting to see a bunch of td's for south that isn't what these scrimmages are for. Would have liked to see a sharper team . Also #1   senior rb still not dressed did not play in scrimmage . 

13 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

@ptr       Went to scrimmage tonight. South looked like they were in their first week of practice . LC looked ho hum . . . . ..Disorganized feeling during the scrimmage. Coach Mo was awol (could have been in pressbox) A lot of people will say it is because teams just don't show much during scrimmages. Yeah that is true however lc succeeded in scoring 3 or 4 td's vs souths #1 d and south only got two vs lc's #1's . But south did a lot of substituting  just to be fair to LC i am going to give them the edge in td's vs #1 defenses based on who i thought was #1 d for south.  I think they had a 2 to 1 advantage in scores with starters on field. I wasn't expecting to see a bunch of td's for south that isn't what these scrimmages are for. Would have liked to see a sharper team . Also #1   senior rb still not dressed did not play in scrimmage . 

After reading the Paper this morning and coach's comments i feel a bit more comfortable with last nights scrimmage.  Starting rb was sitting out because of a hamstring he suffered during track season but has been practicing just a precaution sort of thing.  Qb will be a big factor this year, if he learns to manage  the game we will have a good year, south just didn't show much of their passing game  so i didnt really get to see how his passing game is. Unsure about if he can toss the ball across the field. 

Any other CI fans chiming in on their scrimmages? Southport has a senior qb correct ? Been starting since freshman year i think.  Eddie something.   How did CN look ? 

Edited by MuleDriver

7 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Any other CI fans chiming in on their scrimmages? Southport has a senior qb correct ? Been starting since freshman year i think.  Eddie something.   How did CN look ? 

After 3 seasons as the starting QB Eddie Schott graduated and moved on to Ball State so Southport will be breaking in a new QB this season in Sr. Ball State commit and former WR/TE Ryan Lezon...

Southport has has one of the better QB situations around since 2013...Luke Johnston was a 3 year starter from ‘13-‘15 and Schott from '16-‘18...

Will be interesting to see how Lezon dates at QB... He's a good athlete and he had some big games at WR last season

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

After 3 seasons as the starting QB Eddie Schott graduated and moved on to Ball State so Southport will be breaking in a new QB this season in Sr. Ball State commit and former WR/TE Ryan Lezon...

Southport has had one of the better QB situations around since 2013...Luke Johnston was a 3 year starter from ‘13-‘15 and Schott from '16-‘18...

Will be interesting to see how Lezon does at QB... He's a good athlete and he had some big games at WR last season...

Edited by SouthernStateofMind
Misspelled words

1 hour ago, SouthernStateofMind said:

Southport has had one of the better QB situations around since 2013...Luke Johnston was a 3 year starter from ‘13-‘15 and Schott from '16-‘18...

Will be interesting to see how Lezon does at QB... He's a good athlete and he had some big games at WR last season...

I for some reason had thought Schott was starting from his freshman season. Really good qb.   

• 2 weeks later...

@ptr    Souths #1 rb   left game in 1st quarter as did their jr 6'4 260  d lineman both of those guys sat the scrimmage both were injured and out by halftime tonight. Add in the first year qb and a few interceptions and a martinsville team that out hustled and wanted to win more and well you  wound up with a 22-6 loss.      All the energy was on martinsville sidelines and stands. South filled their stands but didnt seem as loud as the opponent stands. The better team won  tonight . 

• Like 1

@ptr  Todays article in paper says coach mo wouldnt be surprised if senior rb is held out at thn game this friday. . Still no update on the  big d lineman that went out ....... Paper doesnt do a good job like they used to still missing rex kirts.   Looking at the stats from last friday South had over 250 yards rushing (and outgained mville in total yards) were in or near redzone a couple times without any points and the qb had those two picks . If he can get a bearing on his passing game they still could have a good year. I knew martinsville would be good this year but i expected south to be better. Had the qb had a better game and the rb and d lineman not been injured the teams would have been very close on overall strength.    Martinsville was more physical and enthusiastic all the way up into the stands.  Castle really went off on new albany  bloomington north looks to be solid this year. Could be a tough sectional .   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

@ptr  Todays article in paper says coach mo wouldnt be surprised if senior rb is held out at thn game this friday. . Still no update on the  big d lineman that went out ....... Paper doesnt do a good job like they used to still missing rex kirts.   Looking at the stats from last friday South had over 250 yards rushing (and outgained mville in total yards) were in or near redzone a couple times without any points and the qb had those two picks . If he can get a bearing on his passing game they still could have a good year. I knew martinsville would be good this year but i expected south to be better. Had the qb had a better game and the rb and d lineman not been injured the teams would have been very close on overall strength.    Martinsville was more physical and enthusiastic all the way up into the stands.  Castle really went off on new albany  bloomington north looks to be solid this year. Could be a tough sectional .   

Thanks for the info. There have been major staff reductions at newspapers all over the country which has spread thin the sports staff at the H-T with IU sports being the priority. I remember when they had dedicated sports writers for each of the local schools, and you had more in-depth coverage on them. Times have changed.