Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Crown Point (13-0) vs. Ben Davis (12-1) 6A State Championship

On 11/27/2023 at 11:42 AM, FastpacedO said:

With Hamilton Southeastern and Fishers sectional you never know what is going to happen and this year if Carmel will be any good. Fishers and HSE are very familiar with each other and also a Rivalry.

With Westfield they have Homestead in their sectional and Noblesville is on the upswing. Personally Westfield was probably a year ahead of schedule this year. Again when you had those 2 sectionals meet in Regionals they are very familiar with each other. When it came to HSE, Fishers, and Westfield possibly playing Crown Point it came down to match-ups. HSE probably matched up to Crown Points weakness better than Fishers and Westfield. You get those HCC teams playing each other in Regional and it can be a crap shoot on who comes out because they are very familiar with each other (has nothing to do with beating each other up either).

if I'm reading this right you have the sectionals jumbled? (Will be interesting to see how these change next cycle)

Sectional 3: Fishers, HSE, Homestead, Northrop

Sectional 4: Carmel, Noblesville, Westfield, Zionsville

Not that it contradicts your statement about that regional....some very evenly matched good teams that know each other.👍

4 minutes ago, US31 said:

if I'm reading this right you have the sectionals jumbled? (Will be interesting to see how these change next cycle)

Sectional 3: Fishers, HSE, Homestead, Northrop

Sectional 4: Carmel, Noblesville, Westfield, Zionsville

Not that it contradicts your statement about that regional....some very evenly matched good teams that know each other.👍

You are correct my apologies. I likely typed faster than my thoughts could keep up with. I blame it on old age! Thank you for correcting.

24 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

They had some help with that. 

Nothing like the ole incomplete 3 feet in bounds calls. 🙄 lol

ALMOST as bad of a call as the 2009 Warren Central vs Carmel 5A State Final where the Warren Central WR was forced out of the end zone (called complete) by the Carmel DB (was out of bounds by about 2 yards) and the refs ruled it a catch (tying the game) and then Warren won in Double OT. The '09 call is obviously worse as it impacted the outcome of a HUGE game but this catch ruled a no catch last Saturday was egregiously bad. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoachMack219 said:

Nothing like the ole incomplete 3 feet in bounds calls. 🙄 lol

ALMOST as bad of a call as the 2009 Warren Central vs Carmel 5A State Final where the Warren Central WR was forced out of the end zone (called complete) by the Carmel DB (was out of bounds by about 2 yards) and the refs ruled it a catch (tying the game) and then Warren won in Double OT. The '09 call is obviously worse as it impacted the outcome of a HUGE game but this catch ruled a no catch last Saturday was egregiously bad. 

From the replay, it looked like the ref was in a bad position and not looking at the play. I think this is why there should be some sort of limited replay abilities in the state final game. 

3 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I think this is why there should be some sort of limited replay abilities in the state final game. 

A few years ago, the National Federation added the following to the rule book:

“A state association may create instant-replay procedures that permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor during state postseason contests to determine if a decision by the on-field game officials is incorrect.”

So, it’s up to the IHSAA. At present, the IHSAA is firmly against the use of replay.

Personally, I agree with the use of instant replay on a limited basis. Limit it to the playoffs, only on scoring plays and turnovers. Too much hard work goes into a season by players and coaches to be ruined by some really bad calls. That call in BD game was terrible. Cost them 4 points. Just think if it was a much closer game.

I hate the excuse of it’s just part of the game. That is old school thinking. Besides that and no offense Bobref, high school officials aren’t as skilled as college and pro officials and lord knows they miss calls but have a replay safety net.  I believe hs refs simply miss more calls for a variety of reasons with no safety net to correct.

1 hour ago, RegionFBFan said:

no offense Bobref, high school officials aren’t as skilled as college and pro officials and lord knows they miss calls but have a replay safety net.

No offense taken. Shouldn’t be any surprise. Pro and college players are better than high school players. No reason to think that officiating wouldn’t work the same way.

Edited by Bobref

The BD catch obviously would’ve been fixed, but I’d be a little cautious about thinking replay will be as effective as you see on Saturdays and Sundays. 

Michigan uses replay for its finals, and used it roughly a dozen times over the weekend.  From my seat I thought they ended up getting half the calls wrong after replay because they had a poor assortment of angles to look at.  

Just my humble opinion. 

13 hours ago, Bobref said:

A few years ago, the National Federation added the following to the rule book:

“A state association may create instant-replay procedures that permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor during state postseason contests to determine if a decision by the on-field game officials is incorrect.”

So, it’s up to the IHSAA. At present, the IHSAA is firmly against the use of replay.

Which makes sense...Indiana like many things is behind the times. 

Thanks @Bobref I was not aware of this. 

38 minutes ago, CoachGallogly said:

The BD catch obviously would’ve been fixed, but I’d be a little cautious about thinking replay will be as effective as you see on Saturdays and Sundays. 

Michigan uses replay for its finals, and used it roughly a dozen times over the weekend.  From my seat I thought they ended up getting half the calls wrong after replay because they had a poor assortment of angles to look at.  

Just my humble opinion. 

I think that is actually the problem in any replay concern at any level. For example, it took a specific camera in the Georgia-Ohio state game to pick up the brock bowers play. That angle is not used in every game during the regular season. Some angles are used only in Televised games, so non televised or regionally televised games have less to work with. as you know means higher failure/call stands rate of replay calls.  

12 hours ago, RegionFBFan said:

Personally, I agree with the use of instant replay on a limited basis. Limit it to the playoffs, only on scoring plays and turnovers. Too much hard work goes into a season by players and coaches to be ruined by some really bad calls. That call in BD game was terrible. Cost them 4 points. Just think if it was a much closer game.

I hate the excuse of it’s just part of the game. That is old school thinking. Besides that and no offense Bobref, high school officials aren’t as skilled as college and pro officials and lord knows they miss calls but have a replay safety net.  I believe hs refs simply miss more calls for a variety of reasons with no safety net to correct.

You also have to consider what part of the playoffs we are in. Not every game can be televised and most high school stadiums would require half a dozen, maybe more, additional camera angles to help provide a decent assortment of angles to help do replay. 

Really right now, until the IHSAA goes to neutral site semi-state games, state is the only place that can handle the angles required to provide the production of angles needed for replay. 

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

I thought the officiating was pretty good in the state game with the one glaring miss. I'm sure that official knows he missed it and probably feels worse than most. It happens. He's human.

I agree, it would just be much harder to swallow if this game would have been close or some how it swung the outcome of the game. 

You are 100% correct these things happen, but man, I would be mad if it had cost my team the game.