Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The p/p hegemony continues unabated

Three p/p schools, whose total constituency make up probably around 10% of the football playing schools in the IHSAA, have just taken home 50% of the available state championship trophies.  The p/p hegemony continues unabated, with the "success factor" doing little more than rearranging the deck chairs.  This will continue as long as the IHSAA stubbornly sticks to a primarily enrollment based classification system, and not a system that truly measures the historical success, or lack thereof, of Indiana high school football programs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Three p/p schools, whose total constituency make up probably around 10% of the football playing schools in the IHSAA, have just taken home 50% of the available state championship trophies.  The p/p hegemony continues unabated, with the "success factor" doing little more than rearranging the deck chairs.  This will continue as long as the IHSAA stubbornly sticks to a primarily enrollment based classification system, and not a system that truly measures the historical success, or lack thereof, of Indiana high school football programs.

Please provide an exact percentage of p/p membership in the IHSAA broken down by class.

BD vs Brownsburg/Cathedral/CG was the 6A title game.

Snider vs Mishawaka was the 5A title game.

East Central vs NorthWood was the 4A title game.

Chatard vs Guerin Catholic was the 3A title game.

Luers vs Eastside/Bluffton/LCC was the 2A title game.

Lutheran vs Adams Central was the 1A title game.

• Like 2

The three states I’ve resided in have the same issue

see illinois below 

Nevada was sick of bishop Gorman killing everyone so they made 3 division 5s

well that added another catholic champ 

https://nevadasportsnet.com/newsletter-daily/results-from-the-5a-iii-5a-ii-4a-and-1a-nevada-high-school-football-state-title-games

side note that my Carmel almost beat Gibson southern and got destroyed by this Byron school, imagine how good they are

IMG_7601.jpeg

Edited by Whiting89

I'll gain some friends from Decatur Central and lose some from Mishawaka. I'm not so sure the Cavemen could beat DC or Merrillville. All bets are off with that offense though. The Cavemen's run game would get stuffed by either of those teams. Their only chance would be large chunk pass plays down the middle of the field like they did against Snider. And although Mishawaka has a VERY good defense, I think DC and Merrillville's are a little better. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

BD vs Brownsburg/Cathedral/CG was the 6A title game.

Snider vs Mishawaka was the 5A title game.

East Central vs NorthWood was the 4A title game.

Chatard vs Guerin Catholic was the 3A title game.

Luers vs Eastside/Bluffton/LCC was the 2A title game.

Lutheran vs Adams Central was the 1A title game.

You're probably correct with this group. This seems to happen most years, where there are a bunch of great early round games involving the eventual class champions, then at the state finals, a bunch of duds. 

32 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

side note that my Carmel almost beat Gibson southern and got destroyed by this Byron school, imagine how good they are

IMG_7601.jpeg

I had been following the ‘local’ teams in SW Indiana that were playing in state finals - HH, NP, and Mt Carmel. 

I saw MtC was losing but didn’t see the final score. Byron - enrollment 449 had 54 players (only 4 freshmen) on their roster. impressive.

I like the seeding in Illinois, but give me Thanksgiving weekend at Lucas Oil over Peoria, Dekalb, or Champaign any day. 

On 11/25/2023 at 2:51 PM, Trojan said:

Please provide an exact percentage of p/p membership in the IHSAA broken down by class.

6A: 3.1% (Cathedral)

5A: 0%

4A: 9.4% (Memorial, Brebeuf, Roncalli, Culver Academy, Dwenger, SB St. Joe's)

3A: 6.3% (Guerin, Chatard, Mish. Marian, FW Concordia)

2A: 12.9% (Hammond Noll, Andrean, LCC, Luers, Mater Dei, Indy Scecina, Heritage Christian, Ritter)

1A: 6.9% (Park Tudor, Providence, Covenant, Lutheran) 

• Like 1

6A-12.5% of sectionals were won by privates. 0% of regionals, semi-states, state were won by privates.

4A-12.5% of sectionals were won by privates. 0% of regionals, semi-states, state were won by privates.

3A-12.5% of sectionals were won by privates. 25% of regionals were won by privates, 50% of semi-states were won by privates, 100% of state championships were won by privates.

2A-25% of sectionals were won by privates. 50% of regionals were won by privates, 50% of semi-states were won by privates, 100% of state championships were won by privates.

1A-37.5% of sectionals were won by privates, 25% of regionals were won by privates, 50% of semi-states were won by privates 100% of state championships were won by privates.

State wide:

12.5% of all sectionals won by privates, 16.7% of all regionals won by privates, 33.3% of all semi-states won by privates,, 50% of all state championships won by privates.

Private Schools make up 7% of all football schools.

These numbers would probably be a little higher if the officials in the North Posey/Mater Dei sectional semi-final could count to 12 on the final play.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, JQWL said:

6A-12.5% of sectionals were won by privates. 0% of regionals, semi-states, state were won by privates.

4A-12.5% of sectionals were won by privates. 0% of regionals, semi-states, state were won by privates.

And those were both schools playing up already due to SF. 

Starting next year, the Indy Diocese is going to consider Mooresville a Parochial school as well.  That's the only way beating Roncalli and Brebeuf in back to back weeks can be explained. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

And those were both schools playing up already due to SF. 

Starting next year, the Indy Diocese is going to consider Mooresville a Parochial school as well.  That's the only way beating Roncalli and Brebeuf in back to back weeks can be explained. 

I am all out of emoji's for this one

full

The name change of the school is currently being debated!

It's obvious they fare better at the 1A-3A level because they can control their enrollment. The quality of student/athlete is just different.

The solution is to move them all up a class. No P/P should ever be competing at a 1A level and it's been proven through SF that they can compete at higher levels.

The problem is, the powers that be don't care because the big schools don't care. They have the enrollment numbers and funds to overcome.

Edited by cloudofdust
  • Like 3