Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The 260 in '24

What does the landscape in the 260 look like going into 2024?  Three teams advanced to state with 2 coming home with state titles and the third team accomplishing 3 straight trips to the finals.  

SAC- Does Snider run roughshod over the conference again?  Can they overcome graduation of a great senior class and reload or does Carroll rise back to the top after what had to be considered a disappointing season?  Can anyone crash the party at the top next year?  Who becomes the next major stars of the conference?  Snider and Luers bump up a class....how do they look to fair playing up a class?  Can Dwenger make any post season noise now that they went back "home" to 4A?  Is this new conference alignment ever going to really "work"?

NE8- What is the follow-up to Leo's championship season?  Can Brock Schott will the Lions to another NE8 title and continue his path of destruction?  Leo is another program that loses a great senior class has to fill a lot of holes with the likes of East Noble breathing down their neck.  Speaking of East Noble, trivia question, who scored the most points on state champion Snider last year?  The Knights did and they return a lot of talent next year, are they the prohibitive favorites in 24?  Can Columbia City make their way back to the top in Stratton Fuller's senior campaign? New Haven loses a TON of talent, how will they reload next year?  Will Bellmont ever get turf????  LOL

ACAC- Three straight trips to the state finals, regardless of the outcomes, is an incredible accomplishment and proves that Adams Central has earned the claim that ACAC has, in fact, stood for Adams Central Athletic Conference.  Can anyone change that?  Losing another crop of great seniors will be tough on the Jets but they are now to the point they just reload.  Can Heritage clip the Jets yet?  The Patriots are on a definite upward trajectory with no signs of letting up under coach Kolkman.  Does AC's "little brother" South Adams put themselves back into ACAC title contention?  

19 minutes ago, NE8_Fan said:

What does the landscape in the 260 look like going into 2024?  Three teams advanced to state with 2 coming home with state titles and the third team accomplishing 3 straight trips to the finals.  

SAC- Does Snider run roughshod over the conference again?  Can they overcome graduation of a great senior class and reload or does Carroll rise back to the top after what had to be considered a disappointing season?  Can anyone crash the party at the top next year?  Who becomes the next major stars of the conference?  Snider and Luers bump up a class....how do they look to fair playing up a class?  Can Dwenger make any post season noise now that they went back "home" to 4A?  Is this new conference alignment ever going to really "work"?

NE8- What is the follow-up to Leo's championship season?  Can Brock Schott will the Lions to another NE8 title and continue his path of destruction?  Leo is another program that loses a great senior class has to fill a lot of holes with the likes of East Noble breathing down their neck.  Speaking of East Noble, trivia question, who scored the most points on state champion Snider last year?  The Knights did and they return a lot of talent next year, are they the prohibitive favorites in 24?  Can Columbia City make their way back to the top in Stratton Fuller's senior campaign? New Haven loses a TON of talent, how will they reload next year?  Will Bellmont ever get turf????  LOL

ACAC- Three straight trips to the state finals, regardless of the outcomes, is an incredible accomplishment and proves that Adams Central has earned the claim that ACAC has, in fact, stood for Adams Central Athletic Conference.  Can anyone change that?  Losing another crop of great seniors will be tough on the Jets but they are now to the point they just reload.  Can Heritage clip the Jets yet?  The Patriots are on a definite upward trajectory with no signs of letting up under coach Kolkman.  Does AC's "little brother" South Adams put themselves back into ACAC title contention?  

I think you've got to add Bluffton to the mix in the ACAC

SAC - If I were making an early prediction, I'd say that Carroll is likely to have the best offense with a Power Five quarterback leading the way. Snider will have the best defense. They return three of their top four tacklers, and six of their top 12. Defense, once again, will be sick. Offensive line will be typical. Lots of new faces at the skill positions. Homestead doesn't stay average forever if you look a the history of their program. It's just a matter of "when" will they have a run on talent. Dwenger could also have a run on talent, but they don't seem to just "reload" like they did under the helm of Johns and Svarczkopf. So there's a very good chance that Dwenger is just "average" again. 

Luers have been at the 3A level before, but it's always been when they are trending down talent wise. Hence the reason we need to go to a 4-year success factor instead of 2-year. They've yet to win at that level. With Chartard out of the way, the Knights only chance is if they trend up next year in talent. For Snider, 6A is altogether a different beast. If Snider can put together a team that's as good as 2022 & 2023, then they have a 50% shot and reaching Lucas again. 

NE8 - You have to start with East Noble and Leo. The Knights will always be relevant with Amstutz leading the way. I'd love nothing more than to see East Noble as the East Central of the north. In my opinion, any team run by a Doerffler has a chance. I think Jason has a better opportunity at Leo than he did at Northrop. I look for the Lions to be good every year under his direction. I can't really speak for Columbia City and the rest. 

ACAC - Adams Central. Arguably the best program in Indiana pound for pound. Arguably. 

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

Luers have been at the 3A level before, but it's always been when they are trending down talent wise. Hence the reason we need to go to a 4-year success factor instead of 2-year. They've yet to win at that level. With Chartard out of the way, the Knights only chance is if they trend up next year in talent. For Snider, 6A is altogether a different beast. If Snider can put together a team that's as good as 2022 & 2023, then they have a 50% shot and reaching Lucas again. 

Wonder what the odds are that they'll be put in the Sectional of Death?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Wonder what the odds are that they'll be put in the Sectional of Death?

Unlikely, too far NE. I'm not sure if there will be a Northern sectional of death this next year in 3A. I'm sure Geurin will be tough, not sure what Heights returns, but Peru graduated a lot of senior talent. Mac graduated one of their best QB's in school history stat wise. I'm not sure what Oak Hill returns.

10 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Unlikely, too far NE. I'm not sure if there will be a Northern sectional of death this next year in 3A. I'm sure Geurin will be tough, not sure what Heights returns, but Peru graduated a lot of senior talent. Mac graduated one of their best QB's in school history stat wise. I'm not sure what Oak Hill returns.

IHSAA:

giphy.gif.6a33fe118d9c61f5285d0e4cb3448a13.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The gap in the ACAC will likely be smaller in 2024 than in the last few years, but I still expect AC to win the conference. AC will have a bunch of new faces in new spots, but I think they still have the talent and system to reload. A lot of their success will hinge on the development of the Soph QB Roach. Who replaces Bluhm, Currie and Wurm? They likely don't have anyone on the roster who will truly replace those guys, so can the team find a different way to be successful? Should be a fun season to watch play out.

I think Bluffton will be the 2nd best team in the conference. They lose a decent amount of starters, but they have some really good athletes returning at RB. Heritage lost a lot of seniors, so their upcoming classes will need to fill a bunch of spots. I expect them to be decent, though. 

From there? I imagine SA will be the next best because I think they have one of the best programs in the conference and they'll find a way to succeed regardless of talent on the roster. I don't know how much they have coming back, but replacing Wanner will be the top priority I'm sure.

4 hours ago, BTF said:

According to the Ihsaa web site, Luers won a 3A sectional in 2014, 2017, 2018.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LuersLurker said:

According to the Ihsaa web site, Luers won a 3A sectional in 2014, 2017, 2018.  

"Only" a sectional title is normally a down trend for Luers. It just always seemed they were on a down cycle any time they got bumped up. They had several teams that were good enough to win 3A. Two or three of them could have taken 4A..........in my most humble opinion. 

53 minutes ago, BTF said:

"Only" a sectional title is normally a down trend for Luers. It just always seemed they were on a down cycle any time they got bumped up. They had several teams that were good enough to win 3A. Two or three of them could have taken 4A..........in my most humble opinion. 

I guess seeing "3A" gives me a litle extra smile.  Luers was one of the top eight teams left in 3A with a sectional win.  It all depends on how you look at it.

21 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

The gap in the ACAC will likely be smaller in 2024 than in the last few years, but I still expect AC to win the conference. AC will have a bunch of new faces in new spots, but I think they still have the talent and system to reload. A lot of their success will hinge on the development of the Soph QB Roach. Who replaces Bluhm, Currie and Wurm? They likely don't have anyone on the roster who will truly replace those guys, so can the team find a different way to be successful? Should be a fun season to watch play out.

I think Bluffton will be the 2nd best team in the conference. They lose a decent amount of starters, but they have some really good athletes returning at RB. Heritage lost a lot of seniors, so their upcoming classes will need to fill a bunch of spots. I expect them to be decent, though. 

From there? I imagine SA will be the next best because I think they have one of the best programs in the conference and they'll find a way to succeed regardless of talent on the roster. I don't know how much they have coming back, but replacing Wanner will be the top priority I'm sure.

Think it will be really close 3 team race in the ACAC.  Bluffton is knocking on the door. This year's Juniors, Sophomores,  & Freshmen for AC are the last of the "stronger" classes. Middle school teams struggled and smaller classes. The 6th graders could be decent once they're on one team, but they'll need their best players to play. One or two may just wrestle instead continuing with football. Have to see how the 5th graders do next year with a year of experience. Bluffton has a kid that will be really good in MS. Not sure of his true age with no birth certificate from Africa but he tested at 6th grade level and was just the best player on the field and probably would be if he played against 7th & 8th graders. They also had one team of 6th graders that were really good that the kid before wasn't on. Heritage is getting kids out & building a strong culture. They will be in the mix. South Adams has some talented individuals as Summersett was just a freshman this year. Just don't believe they have full solid classes put together yet. Their 5th & 6th graders this year will definitely be if they all stay the course. I'll have to split my allegiance then between AC & SA with family playing.

Jay County has always fascinated me as a program. They're a 4A school competing in a 1A-2A conference, but have never dominated like a 4A should. However, I think Jay County can potentially surprise some people next year. Here's why.

1. Grant Zgunda is an IFCA Hall of Fame coach who has succeeded with Delta and Madison-Grant. His teams at Jay are starting to come along.

2. Coming off most successful season since 2018 (still not successful)

3. Was surprisingly competitive with Kokomo in their sectional game (lost 21-14, most people expected Kokomo to put a running clock on them, this can build confidence)

4. Only losing 6 seniors total

AC and Bluffton will most likely beat them, but expect Jay to at least have a winning record. 

1 hour ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

Jay County has always fascinated me as a program. They're a 4A school competing in a 1A-2A conference, but have never dominated like a 4A should. However, I think Jay County can potentially surprise some people next year. Here's why.

1. Grant Zgunda is an IFCA Hall of Fame coach who has succeeded with Delta and Madison-Grant. His teams at Jay are starting to come along.

2. Coming off most successful season since 2018 (still not successful)

3. Was surprisingly competitive with Kokomo in their sectional game (lost 21-14, most people expected Kokomo to put a running clock on them, this can build confidence)

4. Only losing 6 seniors total

AC and Bluffton will most likely beat them, but expect Jay to at least have a winning record. 

AC will be the team to beat until dethroned.  3 straight crowns and 6 of the last 8.

I think it could be a 4 (even 5 depending who Woodlan hires) horse race behind them.

SW is getting better but will still be at the bottom I believe.

I have said it before but I wish there was more of a push for Bellmont to join the ACAC.  I understand the hesitation with our very strong wrestling and volleyball programs but those programs could still play weekend tournaments to prepare them for the postseason.

1 hour ago, NE8Fan said:

AC will be the team to beat until dethroned.  3 straight crowns and 6 of the last 8.

I think it could be a 4 (even 5 depending who Woodlan hires) horse race behind them.

I have said it before but I wish there was more of a push for Bellmont to join the ACAC.  I understand the hesitation with our very strong wrestling and volleyball programs but those programs could still play weekend tournaments to prepare them for the postseason.

Agree completely, Belmont seems tailor made for the ACAC in terms of size and demographics.  Would compete extremely well and, like said, could bulk up their out of conference schedule for their stronger programs.  If they were to leave for the ACAC would love to see an Angola or maybe Dwenger join the NE8 (I know Dwenger would never leave the SAC but a guy can dream)

1 hour ago, NE8Fan said:

The ACAC would be a good fit for them in most sports. They would've struggled to win a football game this year outside of Southern Wells and maybe Woodlan depending on when the game was played. Conference play isn't as big of an issue in sports like wrestling, volleyball, baseball, basketball, etc. due to the size of the schedule in those sports. Wrestling is honestly the sport that conference impacts the least due to the nature of the sport's schedule. I can't imagine there would be much support in the Bellmont community to join the ACAC, though.