Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What is Nike thinking?

swordfish

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/business/nike-air-max-1-quick-strike-fourth-of-july/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Nike is canceling a sneaker that featured the "Betsy Ross" version of the American flag from the late 18th century.

"Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured an old version of the American flag," Nike said in a statement to CNN Business.
The Wall Street Journal reported earlier that the athletic-wear company delivered the sneakers to retailers, but asked stores to return them to Nike after the company received a complaint from former NFL star Colin Kaepernick. The Journal indicated Kaepernick said he and others found the shoe offensive because of its ties to America's era of slavery.
Kaepernick could not be reached for comment Monday evening.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/02/arizona-to-withdraw-nike-financial-incentives-after-it-pulls-betsy-ross-sneakers.html

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey said on Tuesday in a Tweet he will order the state’s commerce authority to withdraw all financial incentive dollars for the shoe company to locate in the state after Nike said it’s dropping its Betsy Ross American flag sneakers.

Nike has been planning to build a manufacturing plant on metro Phoenix’s west side, which was expected to bring 500 jobs to the area, The Arizona Republic reported on Monday. The city had agreed to waive up to nearly $1 million in fees and reimburse up to $1 million for the jobs it will create, the paper reported.

On Monday night, Nike said it was pulling the sneakers, which featured an early American flag designed by Betsy Ross in celebration of the July Fourth holiday. The decision followed a complaint from former NFL football player Colin Kaepernick, who pointed to the flag’s use during a period slavery, The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday. There also have been reports of the flag’s use by extremist groups, according to the paper. 

“It is a shameful retreat for the company. American businesses should be proud of our country’s history, not abandoning it,” wrote Ducey on Twitter.

“Nike has made its decision, and now we’re making ours. I’ve ordered the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw all financial incentive dollars under their discretion that the State was providing for the company to locate here.”

I wonder who is running Nike now......

• Like 1

I really don't get it.  Why anyone would not be proud of ANY version of the American flag is beyond me.  (SF wouldn't pay $140 for a pair of athletic shoes, but that's beside the point) Besides, CK's beef was with the cops mistreating blacks versus the flag wasn't it? 

45 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

kind of scary where we are going...13 stars on a flag representing the American colonies in our fight for freedom....and now that flag has suddenly become a symbol of white supremacy and slavery.  Then again, we live in a world where the trustees at George Washington University sided with a few students to eliminate the Colonial nickname and George Washington as the school mascot...again, because it represents white supremacy.  So in the city of Washington DC, and university named the George Washington University, cannot have a mascot of the very guy the institution and city is named......tear down his monument!!!

Glad to see the Gov of Arizona make a stand against Nike.

Just like Civil War memorials, I can only assume a future of the few yelling loud enough to demand any portraits of the original 13 star flag be taken down.....when is majority of this country going to say "enough"!

AP_17347841452464.jpg

I thought CK stated his original beef during his playing days in the NFL wasn't against the flag......

15-handmaids-tale-season-3.w700.h700.jpg

the-handmaids-tale-s03e06@2000x1270-920x

The National Mall has depicted in the latest episode of the Handmaid's Tale.   

• Disdain 1

It obviously was a free market decision. I'm sure Nike doesn't care if a bunch of old people who didn't buy their products to begin with, won't buy them in the future either.

In any event, let the free market determine the soundness of a private company's decision.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Why the feel good morally superior.  Too bad they choose to be blind............

"Choose" is the key word.

Do you feel the government should force Nike to sell shoes with flags on them?

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

No, I do not.  Yet I do feel Nike is caving to yet another instance of political correctness.

• Disdain 1

14 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Absolutely not.  Do you assume i think the government is the answer for everything?

As you said earlier - free market.  SF overlooked the Kapernick/Nike debacle since I really do like their shoes, and I try not to let my or anyone else's political views affect my purchasing decisions, but this time I have taken a pause and will reconsider.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the nation that existed when the original Betsy Ross flag was the official flag, slavery was a thing, right? Like a legal, constitutionally recognized, allowable thing? Sooooooooo, yeah, there is that. 

On 7/2/2019 at 2:16 PM, TrojanDad said:

Just like Civil War memorials, I can only assume a future of the few yelling loud enough to demand any portraits of the original 13 star flag be taken down.....when is majority of this country going to say "enough"!

Image result for crush libtards

• Disdain 1

On 7/2/2019 at 6:07 PM, Muda69 said:

No, I do not.  Yet I do feel Nike is caving to yet another instance of political correctness.

One person’s political correctness is another person’s marketing strategy. As a Nike stockholder for many years, I support any strategy that accomplished my goals for Nike: make my shares more valuable. Anyone who looks for political guidance from an athletic shoe company is a dope anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

@Muda69, @swordfish, @TrojanDad here's your chance to purchase that pair you've been wanting:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/15709/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=nike+4th+of+july&_sop=16

I haven't owned a pair of Nike shoes for almost 20 years now.  Don't intend to start now.   

How many pairs of those Nike shoes have you ordered, gonzo?

• Disdain 1

21 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I haven't owned a pair of Nike shoes for almost 20 years now.  Don't intend to start now.   

How many pairs of those Nike shoes have you ordered, gonzo?

I personally have never owned a pair of Nike shoes. I have large wide feet. They're too narrow for my taste. I have, however, purchased a few pairs for my daughter and will continue to do so because they are the best athletic shoes made.

I try to purchase Keen shoes for myself when I can, and I just bought my son a pair which he loves. Size 16.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, gonzoron said:

It obviously was a free market decision. I'm sure Nike doesn't care if a bunch of old people who didn't buy their products to begin with, won't buy them in the future either.

In any event, let the free market determine the soundness of a private company's decision.

I'm pretty sure the fat, old, white guy isn't Nike's demographic. New Balance already has that market sewed up. 

new-balance-ww928vw.jpg

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Like 1

SF is thinking it is simply another marketing choice by Nike.

Thinking that Rapinoe (SP) from Women's Soccer team is angling for a spot next to CK.......

One of my Mutual Funds has some Nike stock, interesting to watch it......Seems that when the stock needs a little bump, something like this happens.....

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, gonzoron said:

Predictable reaction.  Some of us old people serve on youth sports boards that decide which products to purchase for hundreds or thousands of kids.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:36 PM, gonzoron said:

Second predictable reaction.

Yes, they have a right to make stupid decisions and, yes, we have the right to criticize them and not buy their products.

5 minutes ago, Grover said:

Predictable reaction.  Some of us old people serve on youth sports boards that decide which products to purchase for hundreds or thousands of kids.

Chances are high I’m older than you, and I still buy them. Just because you are old doesn’t mean you have to think old

13 minutes ago, Grover said:

Some of us old people serve on youth sports boards that decide which products to purchase for hundreds or thousands of kids.

Calling BS on this also. I'm not aware of any youth sports programs that force participants to purchase a certain brand of shoe. Maybe they do things different down there in Johnson County.