Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The p/p hegemony continues unabated

You know, sometimes I like to do things for entertainment purposes. The other day, I emailed an athletic director at a private school in the state. Basically that my son was getting interest from some small D-1 and NAIA programs and we were interested in transferring him for his senior year to better prepare him for college. Mentioned he is a solid student. Top 10 in his class. Things like that. I feel like the AD probably should have just told me that transfers for athletic reasons aren't allowed in Indiana. However, I was referred to their Enrollment Director to set up a meeting. I didn't take it any further than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Kill me now 1

13 minutes ago, JQWL said:

You know, sometimes I like to do things for entertainment purposes. The other day, I emailed an athletic director at a private school in the state. Basically that my son was getting interest from some small D-1 and NAIA programs and we were interested in transferring him for his senior year to better prepare him for college. Mentioned he is a solid student. Top 10 in his class. Things like that. I feel like the AD probably should have just told me that transfers for athletic reasons aren't allowed in Indiana. However, I was referred to their Enrollment Director to set up a meeting. I didn't take it any further than that.

Now email the same guy and tell him your kid has a SAT score of 1500 and wants to get into Harvard but isn’t good at sports. I bet he tells you the same thing. Not quite the “gotcha” you were hoping for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Id bet you could replaced "I emailed an athletic director at a private school in the state." with "I emailed an athletic director at a public school in the state" and you likely would have got the same thing from the Public school.

I am willing to bet there have been more transfers into Public Schools than P/P Schools and also more transfers out of P/P than Public schools. 

9 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Id bet you could replaced "I emailed an athletic director at a private school in the state." with "I emailed an athletic director at a public school in the state" and you likely would have got the same thing from the Public school.

I am willing to bet there have been more transfers into Public Schools than P/P Schools and also more transfers out of P/P than Public schools. 

You'd probably win that bet with no problem.  I'd bet, given the current state Indiana, you might might even end up with more transfers between public schools that between p/p and public either way.

18 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

Now email the same guy and tell him your kid has a SAT score of 1500 and wants to get into Harvard but isn’t good at sports. I bet he tells you the same thing. Not quite the “gotcha” you were hoping for.

The correct answer should be, transfers for athletic purposes are not allowed in Indiana. Shouldn't matter.

18 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I'll do that tomorrow.

43 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Well, did you say you wanted to transfer him for athletic purposes, or that you wanted to better prepare him for college? Those are two entirely different things. If this was our AD, then I would say he handled it exactly as we would want - put the prospective family in touch with the Enrollment Director. 

Edited by tango
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

A private institution shouldn't receive public funding to do a public task.  If they wish to do so then they should be open to some degree of control from which the $$$ cometh.

You should read up a little more in depth on Indiana Choice Scholarship Program (ala Vouchers) and the criteria for it and for the schools accepting them.

This always turns into a ....I have to win this argument kind of discussion.  Any good decent human being who really "cares about the kids" etc. knows there is an advantage in population type that skews enrollment.  Why would someone fight to screw over so many good hard working football kids?  Because it's always been that way?  Why are there so many attempts to fix this issue in every state in the union?  Seems like a lot of effort going into a problem that isn't real.  I would just rather you guys man up and say....we like our advantage, we paid for it therefore we deserve it.  I could live with that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tango said:

Well, did you say you wanted to transfer him for athletic purposes, or that you wanted to better prepare him for college? Those are two entirely different things. If this was our AD, then I would say he handled it exactly as we would want - put the prospective family in touch with the Enrollment Director. 

It was very clear the purpose of the transfer was for athletic purposes. My son is a good student. I didn't want to short change him.

3 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

You should read up a little more in depth on Indiana Choice Scholarship Program (ala Vouchers) and the criteria for it and for the schools accepting them.

I should...and admittedly have done very little research on the topic.

2 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Why would you want a state championship that means nothing because you had to get your competition moved away in order to win.

I'd prefer if there were no classes, just one state champion.

Why would you want a state championship knowing you had advantages your competition didn't? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

This always turns into a ....I have to win this argument kind of discussion.  Any good decent human being who really "cares about the kids" etc. knows there is an advantage in population type that skews enrollment.  Why would someone fight to screw over so many good hard working football kids?  Because it's always been that way?  Why are there so many attempts to fix this issue in every state in the union?  Seems like a lot of effort going into a problem that isn't real.  I would just rather you guys man up and say....we like our advantage, we paid for it therefore we deserve it.  I could live with that.

This right here... let's start with this.

1 minute ago, Rodney said:

I don't believe they have advantages their competition doesn't

A number of public schools have had questionable transfers in recent years as well

go out on the field, win the game, and tell your dad to quit crying online.

We aren't even talking transfers...sometimes I wonder if you even read these posts.

2 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

We aren't even talking transfers...sometimes I wonder if you even read these posts.

Course you aren't

thats where the debate starts, but that argument isn't convenient for you guys anymore so the goalposts have moved

what are we on now "capped enrollment", "public schools having to deal with problem kids", "not enough faith to win the football game"???

no I'm a busy guy and most of what you write is pretty sub optimal in terms of retaining brain cells, so I normally just skip to the end.

3 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

This always turns into a ....I have to win this argument kind of discussion.  Any good decent human being who really "cares about the kids" etc. knows there is an advantage in population type that skews enrollmentWhy would someone fight to screw over so many good hard working football kids?  Because it's always been that way?  Why are there so many attempts to fix this issue in every state in the union?  Seems like a lot of effort going into a problem that isn't real.  I would just rather you guys man up and say....we like our advantage, we paid for it therefore we deserve it.  I could live with that.

I have yet to see a game where a population type at a P/P school forced little johnny from a Public school to fumble, throw an interception, miss a tackle, or miss a gap assignment. So again how are they getting "screwed" exactly? 

You want to know why there are so many attempts to fix this issue, it is because of the incessant moaning and groaning, 99% of the time for things that don't exist that there is some sort of cheating.

Chatard (which I have no affiliation with) has received a lot of grief over this for years. The talk about boundaries and feeder schools, they post their roster with what elementary school they went to. Guess what all but maybe a couple went to P/P elementary school in their feeder system. There have been plenty of Public schools right there with the talent to beat them. I bet you can go back and look at the game film or statistics and the big difference is they did not turn the ball over or didn't turn it over as much. The RB Kinnett that was a struggle to stop at 5'7" 165 lbs (in a cast) went to St. Pius X literally 7 minutes from Chatard. The DB Guy that had 3 Int's (6 Int's in the last two State Championship games) went to St. Matthew's 7 minutes from Chatard (about halfway between Cathedral and Chatard). They are good hard working football kids too, yet you have no problem saying they have an advantage. I could go on and on naming players.

I know from first hand experience there are teams that are beat mentally before some of these P/P even get off the bus to play them.

I look back over the impressive job Coach Moore has done at Center Grove since he arrived. What he did was instill his philosophy in every aspect of Center Grove and it started with the Bantham Football. They play disciplined, they make very little mistakes. They hit the weight room hard and he has put a major focus on building speed (having been the track coach too). He has built them into a dynasty. all something any team can do starting in their youth program. and filtering it into everything they do. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Course you aren't

thats where the debate starts, but that argument isn't convenient for you guys anymore so the goalposts have moved

what are we on now "capped enrollment", "public schools having to deal with problem kids", "not enough faith to win the football game"???

no I'm a busy guy and most of what you write is pretty sub optimal in terms of retaining brain cells, so I normally just skip to the end.

I feel like you're the 6 year old losing an argument and you just yelled, "You're stupid." at the other 6 year old.