Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Wrestling State Finals

History made tonight in Evansville. yeah I know it's not football related, but this deserves a post here. In the 106 lb. class, Julianna Ocampo gets a pin with 15 seconds left in the 3rd round to become the first female in Indiana history to earn a spot to compete for a medal. I had Julianna in class and have her younger sister now, and am so proud of her for accomplishing this. She quickly fell behind 9-1 in the 1st round. She battled back in the 2nd round to get the score to 9-5 with some back points. With 1:30 left in the match, she takes the lead at 10-9. Talk about persevering. Not only is she a great wrestler, she is ranked 7th in the nation in the 105 lb weight class, but she is a great kid as well. 

It was really cool too to hear the place erupt when she took the lead and even louder after she got the pin. 

image.png.b47bff11a63739741181dc2c55997d65.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Presuming she wrestles again today? Keep us posted. 

She'll wrestle 3x today. Adams County genes on both sides. Her dad was a Bellmont wrestler and her mom's side are AC folks. A lot of athleticism on both sides.

• Like 1

She lost to Royce Malone of Monrovia by Fall in the QF,  she will now wrestle Teagan Newell from Crown Point to determine who will wrestle for 5th Place or 7th Place.

She is one tough young lady, and her match Friday night was an awesome display of guts and determination.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Basementbias said:

She'll wrestle 3x today. Adams County genes on both sides. Her dad was a Bellmont wrestler and her mom's side are AC folks. A lot of athleticism on both sides.

I guess that explains why she's so damn good. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

She finishes in 6th place. Cannot wait to see all she accomplishes over the next year. 

Are you sure she's ranked 7th in the nation?

In that same poll, Heather Krull from Northeastern HS, in the same weight class (lost her 1st round match Friday night) had been ranked ahead of Julianna. I could not find a poll after that, but I am guess both changed rankings after the girls' State tournament where Ocampo won that weight class. 

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

In the last girls' poll I could see from November, yes. 

I remember seeing her at a meet a couple years ago. My wife thought it was pretty cool to see a girl out there. I remember telling her that I respect the young lady for competing out there, but the chances of her winning were slim. Well, she won, and I'll never doubt another female wrestler again. 

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

In that same poll, Heather Krull from Northeastern HS, in the same weight class (lost her 1st round match Friday night) had been ranked ahead of Julianna. I could not find a poll after that, but I am guess both changed rankings after the girls' State tournament where Ocampo won that weight class. 

So to clarify, she was ranked 7th in the nation among girls? Also, didn't know there was a girls tournament. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

So to clarify, she was ranked 7th in the nation among girls? Also, didn't know there was a girls tournament. 

yes......and the girls' tourney is not IHSAA sanctioned, but is run by the coaches association. It's held in January. 

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

yes......and the girls' tourney is not IHSAA sanctioned, but is run by the coaches association. It's held in January. 

Got it. I was wondering how she was 7th in the nation and 6th in the state. Thanks for the education :). That comeback from down 9-1 had to be quite the scene. Gotta love high school sports. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Got it. I was wondering how she was 7th in the nation and 6th in the state. Thanks for the education :). That comeback from down 9-1 had to be quite the scene. Gotta love high school sports. 

Here is a great video of it. She is still down 9-8 at this point. 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2024 at 8:05 PM, BTF said:

I guess that explains why she's so damn good. 

Are you sure she's ranked 7th in the nation?

Yes. Her aunt that I graduated with at AC was also a phenomenal athlete. She was great in volleyball, basketball, and softball. Shame her aunt stopped playing basketball when the coach retired. Julianna reminds me of her in how she speaks & acts.

• Like 2

That class on the women’s side seems to be loaded. Krull here in Indiana as I mentioned before is highly ranked, and Audrey Jimenez in Arizona just won a State championship in Arizona becoming the first female in that State to do that. It was cool to see that Kayla Miracle from Bloomington and an Olympic medalist posted a video cheering Ocampo on after her Friday match on the Flo Wrestling Instagram page. 

• Like 1