Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2024

Bobref

21 hours ago, US31 said:

I have no argument with that....

What I will argue with, however, is if Coach Freeman is let go for "not winning the big one"...even though he is graduating players at a very high rate.  There have been a lot of good coaches shown the door at ND since Lou.  Willingham, Weiss, and Kelly were good coaches....(I know Kelly left more or less on his terms, but his frustrations with the above discussion were well known, and were what lead him to leave...his goals are a National Champtionship.)

Again, I'm not disagreeing with anything you or other posters have said.  Just pointing out that players and coaches who have realistic aspirations of winning a national title are likely to avoid ND.  Players in the program may have changing priorites and choose to leave.   This is the reality.

It would be interesting if the B1G, SEC, and Big12 choose to leave the NCAA in their dust and go completley separate in FB and MBB.  Would ND choose to be the torchbearer in going back to a more traditional college athletics model...along with the leftovers of Div1?  

Or do they want the money just as bad as everyone else?

You can win a national championship with the caliber and type of player ND typically recruits…trust me…😉

59 minutes ago, temptation said:

You can win a national championship with the caliber and type of player ND typically recruits…trust me…😉

I don’t know about trusting you … 😂🤣 … but we’re in agreement here. But “can” is the operative word. The margin for error is much smaller. So, it certainly “can” happen. But everything has to break right; they have to be lucky with injuries and with the schedule. And most importantly, they need a 1st round draft choice talent at QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I don’t know about trusting you … 😂🤣 … but we’re in agreement here. But “can” is the operative word. The margin for error is much smaller. So, it certainly “can” happen. But everything has to break right; they have to be lucky with injuries and with the schedule. And most importantly, they need a 1st round draft choice talent at QB.

Agree on most points, but player development is also key.  ND simply isn't going to "out five star" the usual guys (Bama, OSU, UGA).

Counterpoint to your most important point though:  Stetson Bennett was nowhere near 1st round QB talent.

Edited by temptation

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Counterpoint to your most important point though:  Stetson Bennett was nowhere near 1st round QB talent.

I suppose you can win without elite QB play … if you surround your “good” QB with 5 star talent at every other position. But as you pointed out, “ND simply isn't going to "out five star" the usual guys (Bama, OSU, UGA).” 

33 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I suppose you can win without elite QB play … if you surround your “good” QB with 5 star talent at every other position. But as you pointed out, “ND simply isn't going to "out five star" the usual guys (Bama, OSU, UGA).” 

I'd argue however that 3/4 stars with a bit of a chip on their shoulder are often better than 5 stars though I don't really have much data to support it.

Rod Moore, the Michigan DB with the game clinching INT against OSU was a 3 star from Ohio and passed over by the Buckeyes.  That kind of stuff matters when building a team.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:27 AM, BTF said:

The way I'm reading it, Bob is correct. The best Notre Dame can do is #5. The system already needs to be reworked though. I'm on board with the Big 10, ACC, and the SEC getting a first round bye. Each of those conferences are going to produce a legitimate contender. But with Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Washington jumping ship to the SEC and Big 10, I'm struggling with the Pac 12 and Big 12 getting that fourth spot. I get it, the NCAA wants the conference championship to mean something. But the Big 12 and Pac 12 aren't what they once were.

Long story short? It's time for Notre Dame to make a move. The Big 10 makes the most sense. If Notre Dame wants their brand to stretch from coast to coast, the Big 10 will provide that and secure their annual game with USC. Keep Navy, ditch Stanford for Washington or Oregon. Replace Clemson with (cough cough) Maryland or Rutgers. Play one of those games on the road when hosting Navy that year. That way their brand on the East Coast remains. Notre Dame's only concern at this point is lack of brand in the Southeast. 

This last years playoff committee begs to differ!

Furthering my point above (and I know folks are likely tired of my Michigan victory lap), Michigan just won the national title with guys who had the following 247 composite ranking coming out of high school.  These are the 18 Wolverines attending the combine in Indy this week.

McCarthy - 38th

Colson - 102nd

Jones - 109th

MacGregor - 123rd

Johnson - 160th

Barnhart - 161st

Keegan - 184th

Wilson - 219th

Corum - 232nd

Zinter - 249th

Jenkins - 502nd

Sanristil - 589th

Henderson - 730th

Barrett - 751st

Barner 1131st

Wallace NR 

Nugent NR 

Harrell - NR

Harrell - NR

28 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

This last years playoff committee begs to differ!

Agree. I'm banking on ACC providing a solid contender most years, unlike the Pac-12 or the Big-12.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Furthering my point above (and I know folks are likely tired of my Michigan victory lap), Michigan just won the national title with guys who had the following 247 composite ranking coming out of high school.  These are the 18 Wolverines attending the combine in Indy this week.

McCarthy - 38th

Colson - 102nd

Jones - 109th

MacGregor - 123rd

Johnson - 160th

Barnhart - 161st

Keegan - 184th

Wilson - 219th

Corum - 232nd

Zinter - 249th

Jenkins - 502nd

Sanristil - 589th

Henderson - 730th

Barrett - 751st

Barner 1131st

Wallace NR 

Nugent NR 

Harrell - NR

Harrell - NR

Are those 18 all starters? What about the other 45 that dress for a game?

25 minutes ago, BTF said:

Are those 18 all starters? What about the other 45 that dress for a game?

Michigan rotated heavily at the DL position this season so I guess you could say so.  Three of those 18 are DL.

6 of the above are OL as Jones subbed in once Zinter went down against OSU.

Barner was a backup TE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Good for him. Now let’s see which goes higher in the draft.

Amazing he was able to do it with that heavy ass national title ring on his finger too.  

Can’t be overlooked.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

This is actually a fair point and the correct answer but triggering @Bobref is so damn fun and easy.

It took him less than 20 minutes to reply.

Now that I know I entertain you, I can die having accomplished my life’s purpose.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Now maybe I’ll just compare Corum to Estime.

He got 23 
He is 3 inches taller and his arms are 4 inches longer
It always impresses me to see what the skill guys do for strength numbers

11 minutes ago, Irishman said:

He got 23 
He is 3 inches taller and his arms are 4 inches longer
It always impresses me to see what the skill guys do for strength numbers

I was talking about combine results in general but will punt so to not hijack another football thread and rope anyone else into my eternal victory lap…for now, lol.

Speaking of which, anyone seen @Bash Riprock recently?  I haven’t since before the Michigan victory parade in Ann Arbor.  He was on the back of a fire truck with Harbaugh.

Edited by temptation

19 hours ago, temptation said:

I was talking about combine results in general but will punt so to not hijack another football thread and rope anyone else into my eternal victory lap…for now, lol.

Speaking of which, anyone seen @Bash Riprock recently?  I haven’t since before the Michigan victory parade in Ann Arbor.  He was on the back of a fire truck with Harbaugh.

Back in town following some global travel.  

Also was away helping Coach Jimmy with his relocation to LA.  

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...