Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

23-24 DOE Enrollments

3 hours ago, tango said:

But that should improve the quality of the soccer program. Jasper's boys program has gotten much more competitive in recent years for that reason.   

My mama said you talkin bout the wrong fooseball. We only talk about one fooseball on the digest!

Sounds like Seymour and Jasper should have 15-20 different place kickers and punters on their depth chart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tango said:

But that should improve the quality of the soccer program. Jasper's boys program has gotten much more competitive in recent years for that reason.   

Oddly enough it hasn’t really. Girls roster is dominated by Hispanics, boys not so much. I think our pipeline of German exchange students has helped the boys’ cause though. 

• Haha 1

Indystar just put out an article about the upcoming enrollments. Enrollments will be released in the coming days. Can’t wait. However, they said it would be end of April before the sectional alignments are determined. Man that seems like a long time period to configure those. 

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

Indystar just put out an article about the upcoming enrollments. Enrollments will be released in the coming days. Can’t wait. However, they said it would be end of April before the sectional alignments are determined. Man that seems like a long time period to configure those. 

It takes time to get Chatard, Roncalli, Brebeuf, and Dwenger all in the same sectional and make it look random.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

It takes time to get Chatard, Roncalli, Brebeuf, and Dwenger all in the same sectional and make it look random.

It would be smarter for IHSAA to spread them all out to different sectionals.  

How many points to stay up these days?????😜

12 minutes ago, US31 said:

Yes, it would be, but the Sectional of Death in 3A and Chatard's last sectional assignment in 4A runs contrary to that thesis.

8 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

If memory serves. That seems about normal SOP. Enrollments are released mid February but they release football, volleyball, and both basketball sectionals the same time late April. 

Basketball SF points will need to be updated following the state tournament this year. 

22 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

It is interesting when there are coaches that know the alignments a week before they are announced!  I think the long gap in time is for lobbying to take place for certain alignments. 

Also, it is difficult to justify the large salaries of the IHSAA commissioner and his minions if the process was done and completed in a weekend.  I think Illinois is able to finish the season, determine what 256 teams qualified for the playoffs, classify them by enrollment into 8 classes of 32, and seed all 8 classes in a single weekend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, US31 said:

THREE points to stay up. (IHSAA should have stuck with 2pts)

I feel bad for the programs that get bumped up at 6 points after back-to-back runner-up seasons. In my opinion, you should stay in enrollment class if you don't have a State Champion trophy in your trophy case.

My proposal would be this:

1pt = Sectional champion

2pts = Regional champion

3pts = Semistate champion

5pts = State champion

Change the bump-up number from 6pts to 7pts-- State+Regional (or better) would still be a bump-up but Semistate+Semistate would not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slice60 said:

THREE points to stay up. (IHSAA should have stuck with 2pts)

I feel bad for the programs that get bumped up at 6 points after back-to-back runner-up seasons. In my opinion, you should stay in enrollment class if you don't have a State Champion trophy in your trophy case.

My proposal would be this:

1pt = Sectional champion

2pts = Regional champion

3pts = Semistate champion

5pts = State champion

Change the bump-up number from 6pts to 7pts-- State+Regional (or better) would still be a bump-up but Semistate+Semistate would not.

No real disagreement....I'd just prefer the "cycle" to be longer...maybe 3-4 years, along with being a "rolling cycle".  I think that is the bigger issue....a longer, "rolling" cycle is a better metric, even beyond the point requirement (tweak those however you want).  I would also require a state title in that rolling cycle to trigger a bump up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Punttheball said:

It is interesting when there are coaches that know the alignments a week before they are announced!  I think the long gap in time is for lobbying to take place for certain alignments. 

Anybody who thinks lobbying for certain alignments doesn't happen is only fooling themselves. 

2 hours ago, Punttheball said:

Also, it is difficult to justify the large salaries of the IHSAA commissioner and his minions if the process was done and completed in a weekend.  I think Illinois is able to finish the season, determine what 256 teams qualified for the playoffs, classify them by enrollment into 8 classes of 32, and seed all 8 classes in a single weekend!

Agree completely.  For as much as I would hate to find out Saturday night/ Sunday morning who my opponent was next Friday, the efficiency of classifying and seeding is such a stark contrast to the all-in ping pong ball tournament. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The alignment is done by committees of AD's.    

just saying 

Of course they are ....and what is the process for selecting/appointing individuals on said "committees?" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue Racer said:

That's a great question.

I do not know the answer to this question. I know a friend of mine who is currently a high school principal and was formerly an athletic director has tried multiple times to get on this committee and has never even heard back from anyone after he has sent an email. 

27 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I do not know the answer to this question. I know a friend of mine who is currently a high school principal and was formerly an athletic director has tried multiple times to get on this committee and has never even heard back from anyone after he has sent an email. 

Doesn't seem like a good way to handle his request. Not to offend anyone, but I don't have much faith in the "committee".

Anyone enlighten us?

4 hours ago, JQWL said:

Same - I’ve asked an AD and principal at 2 different schools about it.  Both requested information about selection of committee members and neither got a reply.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Cronyism

Certainly seems that way.

Edited by HoopsCoach

19 hours ago, jets said:

Of course they are ....and what is the process for selecting/appointing individuals on said "committees?" 

In the past, the IHSAA has asked for ADs to volunteer.  In the case for basketball, you were put in a completely different class and different area of the state.  If you were 1A from the south like I was, they would place you in the North in 3A or 4A.  This was about 8 years ago, but that is what I remember.

20 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The alignment is done by committees of AD's.    

just saying 

I think one of the harder aspects is knowing which ADs will be around and volunteer to be a part of the process.  I know some schools which have gone through multiple ADs in a span of only a few years.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:23 PM, Warren Central Warrior said:

Warren Central got bonked hard from being the 3rd largest to 8th largest. Never thought I would see the day or year

Has their enrollment considerably dropped, or are they the "victim" of other schools like Avon having huge increases. I wonder where all of those new people now in the Avon district came from.