Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

So Fathers get depressed if their child doesn't play football?

That is one man's opinion on Twitter, the land of all opinions. 

Parents need to get away from trying to dictate their children's lives. I hope my son plays, but if he doesn't I move on with life. I hope he finds something he enjoys, works hard and does well at whatever it is. 

Plus, Legos are cool. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be funny. My son played in the 4th grade, I knew it wasn't for him, and after his 4th grade season, he knew it wasn't for him. That's fine, I just always wanted both of my kids to find something they were passionate about and chase it. 

FYI, Lego Mindstorms......nothing cooler.

My son played 3rd-6th and, in 7th grade, decided that he wanted to go back to playing soccer again.  He also decided that he'd rather coach football than play, so he served as an assistant coach in the youth league this past season while also playing soccer.  His younger brother, however, played football this past season and seems to have adopted it as his favorite sport. 

As for robotics, my oldest was on the robotics team in high school.  Started out with no real idea of robotics design, etc., so she started doing things like PR and fundraising.  After her first year, she got involved in design and became a controller on the competition team ... the one that operates the "arms" or other toolsets  during competition ... along with the driver and other controller.  She's carried that on and competes with the robotics team in college too.  BTW, if you haven't see these robotics competitions, they are a lot of fun ... especially after you get past the qualifying rounds and the gloves come off.

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be funny. My son played in the 4th grade, I knew it wasn't for him, and after his 4th grade season, he knew it wasn't for him. That's fine, I just always wanted both of my kids to find something they were passionate about and chase it. 

FYI, Lego Mindstorms......nothing cooler.

If you look at his profile he's a radio talk show host in Houston and likes to be controversial based on some of his other posts. That's what columnists and radio hosts are supposed to do. It draws attention. I agree he was probably trying to be funny and it exploded from there. He's an opportunist and took advantage of it. A high school football forum several states away is talking about him. Mission accomplished.

BTW...none of my boys are playing football but two of them are into robotics which is very cool. The time and effort the kids put into designing and building the robots and the stress and excitement during one of the competitions is amazing. Indiana has some of the best robotics teams in the world. The VEX State Championship will be in Lucas Oil Stadium in early March and the FRC State Championship will be in Kokomo in early April. Both will send teams to their respective world championships at the end of April. First Lego League is the elementary and middle school feeder into FRC.

Here is a highlight video from last year's state competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDulj5MSnI4

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I'm in.  If I can built a robot like Blendo.

These weren't fighting bots per se, but that didn't stop the kids from bumping and banging each others' bots.  Kind of like watching basketball players ... not supposed to be that kind of contact, but there's usually enough as you try to figure out where the refs' tolerance is for calling a foul.

My son grew up hating football.  He was involved in other more academic type groups through most of elementary.  He was avid in the Pokémon cards 😂.  But I made him go to a 3 day after school football skills type camp in 3rd grade.  I told him that I was making him go but after this if he he didn’t like it I wouldn’t make him try football anymore.  I resigned myself to my only son not playing football and I was ok with that. Sorta.  Lol.  Fast forward 3 yrs and a friend of his talked him into trying it.  When he told me that he was going to play in 7th grade, I almost fainted.  He learned quickly and played well. Finishing up his sophomore year, He’s done well and loves the game.  That being said, I would have lived and supported anything that he would’ve chosen had he not chose to play.

Edited by trojan474
Add on
  • Like 1

My wife helps coach the Robotics team at the elementary school where she teaches.  My five year old cannot wait to participate and free builds at home to make things that look like the robots that they use in the competition.  He is far smarter than me and he loves that stuff almost as much as throwing balls around and wrestling his brother.  Time will tell what he want to do when he gets older.  I will following whatever he decides to choose and and be his biggest and quietest fan in the stands!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eschnur66 said:

My wife helps coach the Robotics team at the elementary school where she teaches.  My five year old cannot wait to participate and free builds at home to make things that look like the robots that they use in the competition.  He is far smarter than me and he loves that stuff almost as much as throwing balls around and wrestling his brother.  Time will tell what he want to do when he gets older.  I will following whatever he decides to choose and and be his biggest and quietest fan in the stands!

LOL.  Quietest....  Spoken like a true coach..  I love it!

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Reading these comments reinforce to me why the military is struggling with qualified recruits.....raising pansies.....

https://news.usni.org/2017/10/12/panel-pentagon-facing-future-recruiting-challenge-due-lack-candidates

The next thread will focus on playing more video games.  Why play sports for real, when we can use our imaginations and thumbs while lying on the couch eating ice cream and chips?

So most if not all qualified military recruits should have played tackle football?

• Disdain 1

2 hours ago, tango said:

LOL.  Quietest....  Spoken like a true coach..  I love it!

Since quiet is a two-syllable adjetive, the rule-of-thumb would make more quiet and most quiet the expected comparative forms; however, quietest and quieter are six-times more common (or, as many would say, "commoner." Both forms are correct, but the single-word construction is what the American ear expects to hear.

LOL

21 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Reading these comments reinforce to me why the military is struggling with qualified recruits.....raising pansies.....

https://news.usni.org/2017/10/12/panel-pentagon-facing-future-recruiting-challenge-due-lack-candidates

The next thread will focus on playing more video games.  Why play sports for real, when we can use our imaginations and thumbs while lying on the couch eating ice cream and chips?

Gosh, I must’ve missed the spot in the article where it said these kids were not in the military because they are pansies. 🙄

• Like 1

This post has went viral and was meant to be funny. Mission accomplished. 

My son was on a SeaPerch team that qualified for nationals and got to go to LSU to compete. All while playing middle school and now high school football. 

I enjoy both and the skills he has garnered from both are helping him to develop into a fine young man. 

Edited by starbacker

You have to let them do what they want. Foxbat can attest to my story. I coached both my son's in football  for years. Oldest son played as a freshman and was apart of LCC 2009  State Championship. I seen something in the following spring that he wasn't in to football anymore. I asked him if he had a choice between  soccer and football what we chose. He thought about it and wanted to play soccer but never said anything to me. He thought I wouldn't let him because is was very involved in coaching football. He played soccer for three years and became a top 5 career goal scorer and hold the single season goals scored. Now he is the head coach of LCC soccer program and has the most wins by a coach. But this would have never would have happen if I didn't have that conversation with him. My other son, who was a starting lineman and getting some looks to play college football, Decided to play soccer his Senior season. He went from starting on the 2015 state team, on the biggest 1A line that year to soccer. people thought he was crazy for doing this. We heard things like How is a kid that is 6'2 270 going to be any good at soccer and that it was a waste. Well he was very good and ended the season with 6 goals including the sectional game winner against westside. It was the first ever for the school and he did it with his older Brother as his coach. It was the best season ever for me and there mom watching the both of them. My point is you have to let them do and be what they want. You never know what could be if you don't. They now Both coach The soccer team. 

• Like 1

My 6th-grader has the body, the athleticism and the aggressiveness to be a decent football player. But he has never enjoyed playing football in any organized manner (although my yard is the neighborhood football field and he organizes a pickup game almost every day during the summer/fall). I've always encouraged him to follow his passion - and he really enjoys playing soccer (which he plays like a football player) and hoops. He's tried football, soccer, tennis, basketball, hockey, pretty much anything with a ball. I'll keep encouraging him in whatever he chooses. Let the kids do and be what they want to be and encourage them regardless. 

• Like 1

I like this kid's approach to science vs. football.  Married the two and swatted Brady while he was at it.  

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/10-year-old-kid-won-science-fair-proving-tom-brady-cheater-184439991.html

FTA:

Some kids make baking soda and vinegar volcanoes for their science fair projects. Others find a way to turn their passion into a science fair project.

Meet Ace Davis, a 10-year-old kid from Lexington, Kentucky who created a science fair project about Tom Brady. While kids in New England might be trying to figure out how to scientifically prove that Brady is the greatest quarterback who ever lived, Ace decided to go in a different direction. He created a science fair project that proves that Brady is a cheater.

Of course, he included more than that on his poster. He used a Brady deflate-gate meme, a picture of Brady crying, and a picture of Brady making a weird face. And for good measure, Ace added a picture of himself in his football uniform (Ace plays quarterback, just like Brady) with a giant green checkmark, and put a giant red X over a picture of Brady.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 3:59 PM, eschnur66 said:

Since quiet is a two-syllable adjetive, the rule-of-thumb would make more quiet and most quiet the expected comparative forms; however, quietest and quieter are six-times more common (or, as many would say, "commoner." Both forms are correct, but the single-word construction is what the American ear expects to hear.

LOL

Hah!  I wasn't referring to the conjugation (or whatever the heck its called) or correctness of "quietest" (I'm the last person to troll on the English language, BTW).  I thought it was funny you made the point that you would be what I bet every coach wishes everyone in the stands would be - QUIET and keep their mouths shut!!   

1 hour ago, tango said:

Hah!  I wasn't referring to the conjugation (or whatever the heck its called) or correctness of "quietest" (I'm the last person to troll on the English language, BTW).  I thought it was funny you made the point that you would be what I bet every coach wishes everyone in the stands would be - QUIET and keep their mouths shut!!   

I hear you!  I just thought the explanation I found was funny.  I am a firm believer that if the fans in the stands would make noise and cheer rather than yelling at coaches, officials, and their kids,  we would have much more successful young men and women playing the games we all love!

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 3:29 PM, eschnur66 said:

I hear you!  I just thought the explanation I found was funny.  I am a firm believer that if the fans in the stands would make noise and cheer rather than yelling at coaches, officials, and their kids,  we would have much more successful young men and women playing the games we all love!

I agree 100% coach.