Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU BBall

Irishman

I guess the peegsters are running rampant after continuing speculation that IU will move from Woodson at the conclusion of the season and make a serious run at Bruce Pearl who also is rumored to have mutual interest....

Usually the point in the act that its time to get kicked back down to Earth, I'm guessing ole Quinn Buckner will make Scott Dolson put out a statement in support of Woodson and his staff in the not too distant future 

Sadly in less exciting news they actually play a game tonight vs Wisconsin on Peacock. Could nail meet coffin tonight (if its even possible?) not sure worried about the level of toxicity on display tonight 

Just very very very odd times in Bloomington 

• Like 1

IU's Women's team won at Northwestern. It was fun to watch. NU packed the lane on defense to start to keep IU from scoring in the paint, so they started the game dropping 3's. NU extends the defense to shut that down, but IU scores in the paint. It was that way the whole first half. 

• 2 weeks later...

4 in a row to close out the season. Eating crow a bit now as I predicted 3 wins when there were 9 games left. I am going to guess an agent or two, or someone close to agents told Ware and Mgbako they needed to see more if they want to be high draft picks. Johnson is still more of a liability than an asset. They only won 4 in a row a couple times in the pre conference part of the season. Clark Kellogg brought up the word bubble in the post game. I do not see it. They need to win the B1G tourney in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:56 AM, EasyEJay said:

Word on the street (Trilly Donovan college hoops insider) Chris Holtman's firing at OSU has gotten the attention of important people in Bloomington. Fear is with several Mid-west P5 opening our friend in Boca Rotan FLA getting snatched up. "feelers" whatever that means have been put out in the back channels. Of course Woodson mouth pieces like Rabjohns are trying to down play the situation, but wouldn't deny the facts. As it stands today with 7 games left.........

0-7 or 1-6 some serious conversations will be had in regards to his future 

2-4 wins for better or worse hes back next year but on a Kenny Payne level hot seat 

5+ wins things calm down a bit and people see what they do in the portal this spring but still on shaky ground 

Dear lord here we go again 😅

Bump , 4 straight but a Decommitment from 5-star Liam McNeely I do ultimately think he is in the middle category but who knows. Clearly important people (Buckner and large donors) want Woodson for the long haul . 

the biggest win for Woodson came in the form of Senior Guards Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal announcing they would return for a 5th year . This will take a little burden of the portal needs off IU especially if the cook / Simon families write checks big enough for Reneau and Mgbako to return . 

needs will be focused on 

1) Rim protecting Center (Replacing Ware) 

2) experienced ball handing PG 

3) Athletic swing man who can guard 1-3 

4) knock down 3 pt shooter 

I really have no idea of what will transpire this week , next year, or 3 years from now at this point I’m done guessing what will happen. Just along for the ride I guess 

• Like 1

Indianapolis Star publishes commentary calling for Mike Woodson to step down:  https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/2024/03/12/bob-knights-legacy-fails-iu-as-mike-woodson-keeps-coaching/72929876007/

“In 49 states, it’s just basketball.”

That may be a cliché, but there is truth to it. As I write this, there are 19,575 messages in the Indiana Hoosiers thread on “The Burner,” a national online forum of college basketball fans. The next-biggest thread? Kansas, with 3,231 messages. The general ACC thread has 854. Fans from Providence University to the Mountain West Conference are shocked and making jokes about how passionate IU fans are.

However, it isn’t just crazed internet users that define what IU basketball means. For those who grew up with IU basketball, it is more than just a sport. Growing up a Hoosier, IU b-ball is a spiritual center and a touch point of culture. Anywhere you go, you are surrounded by framed photos of Bob Knight and hand-drawn posters of Assembly Hall. It doesn’t have UNESCO heritage status yet, but someone should nominate it. It is one of the most important cultural assets for the citizens of Indiana.

This passion is turning sour, though. In year three, coach Mike Woodson has IU hovering around 100 in most computer rankings, such as kenpom.com and barttorvik.com. This is a low water mark not seen since the dark days of Tom Crean’s rebuild in 2008-2010.

Recruiting is not going well, either, and the future looks dark. IU announced last week Woodson would be back for the 2024-25 season. About 24 hours later, Woodson's only 2024 recruit — Florida standout Liam McNeeley — decommitted.

Jeff Rabjohns of peegs.com reports that Woodson’s lack of effort in recruiting has cost IU. “It’s March of year three. It took until February for Woodson to go see Trent Sisley and Braylon Mullins, two of the top in-state prospects, this season, and he didn’t see Mullins in a game until the sectional semifinals on March 1.”

The national media are piling on by mocking Woodson’s outdated style of play and his public comments. There are also rumors of player unhappiness, including some people close to the players who did not like Woodson calling certain players “awful.” There is a less-than-zero chance we will see a mass exodus and full rebuild.

The mismanagement of the program and lack of effort on the recruiting trail is understandable for someone with no college head coaching experience, but it's unacceptable for someone making more than $4 million a year, especially since Woodson has advantages no previous IU coach has had: most notably, the ability to recruit athletes who are openly receiving money via NIL funds.

Woodson should step down for the good of the program.

lol, the line "Anywhere you go, you are surrounded by framed photos of Bob Knight and hand-drawn posters of Assembly Hall." is a bit much.   It's obvious Mr. Shaw has never spent any time in West Lafayette or Tippecanoe county and it's surrounding environs.  Any photos of Bob Knight in these areas are probably attached to a dart board.................

#oldtakesexposed

I think this is what Dakich refers to as "blogger boys" 

I talked to IRISHMAN on the side, it continues to BAFFLE me that IU has still not figured out how to find guys who can shoot the ball.  

IU has fallen into that same trap of others,  enamored by "STAR" rating and the athleticism of the ranked players, however, are you recruiting any basketball players or just athletes who play basketball? 

That is exactly what you see in that post above by CrimQuerry, in the summer, X is just the better athlete and is so much better than Smith is the sentiment.......then the season happened...as a reminder, it was between BELMONT and PURDUE for Smith, IU didn't even bother to look at him.  

You have to find that balance in my opinion between Tremendous athletes with actual basketball players.  

I know I am huge Purdue fan, alum, etc, however, I WANT IU to be consistently good as it HELPS Purdue, It Helps B10/18/20/24 whatever it is these days 

• Like 1

I do not get why so many are so high on Xavier. When he is on, he is unstoppable, with shooting and passing. My issue is that he so rarely shows that level of play. I see much more of him dribbling into traffic, putting up crazy shots, throwing passes that are way off. He just seems to be responsible for far too many turnovers. 

That said, that ranking list was from June. There were very high expectations for him back then. I did not see it then either. 

I rarely agree with Dakich on things, but blogger boys is hilarious; and sooo true. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reneau is staying; Gunn, Banks, and Sparks are entering the portal. 
No recruits lined up for the coming year.....interesting spot to be in. They could be uncomfortably shorthanded if Ware decides to turn pro. 

https://fox59.com/sports/college-hoops/ius-reneau-to-stay-3-players-hit-transfer-portal/?fbclid=IwAR1veyVco0tznRMgyySi5hW5C66yxMRDU2rbQtTr8ACd8ScdJmhEG4LEhaE 

Ware is entering the draft. I think this is a horrible idea for him. While he played well the last half of the season, I don't think he is close to being ready. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2024/03/26/indiana-basketball-kelel-ware-declares-for-2024-nba-draft-iu-hoosiers/72930443007/?fbclid=IwAR37V5RaYP2qeri9uBrZ5oOaYR5_dQE7LLUKKpyjP4p2iajgWtP-UVje47M 

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

Ware is entering the draft. I think this is a horrible idea for him. While he played well the last half of the season, I don't think he is close to being ready. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2024/03/26/indiana-basketball-kelel-ware-declares-for-2024-nba-draft-iu-hoosiers/72930443007/?fbclid=IwAR37V5RaYP2qeri9uBrZ5oOaYR5_dQE7LLUKKpyjP4p2iajgWtP-UVje47M 

It plays out every year, kids leave before they’re ready, kick around in the G-League for a few years, maybe a year or two in Europe, and then go sell used cars or insurance, best case scenario, we all know where it leads all too often. 

• Like 1

When Indiana was relevant their roster was dominated by Indiana kids. Look at the IU roster today and look at Purdue’s. Schools that have sustained success have rosters full of local kids. Am I saying don’t go to Illinois to get Isaiah Thomas or Eric Anderson, absolutely not, but geez don’t let Calbert Cheany or Kent Benson go someplace else!

• Like 1

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2024/03/27/indiana-basketball-will-be-busy-transfer-portal-players-to-know-iu-hoosiers-mike-woodson-roster/73106613007/

IU basketball has seven open scholarships as of Tuesday, following Kel'el Ware's anticipated decision to enter the NBA draft. Coach Mike Woodson carried an open scholarship in 2023-24 after some swings and misses in the portal.

You'd expect the staff to target shooting, ball-handling, rim protection, perimeter defense and a big man to complement Malik Reneau. That all? Probably not, but Woodson and staff have plenty of roster space to fill.

Here are some interesting names in the transfer portal. Some have been linked with IU, others make sense, while the others are just interesting.

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

did Ware leave open the, I can come back still?  Or is it a done deal, got the Agent, leaving college game?  

Where is Romeo? 

I believe you can catch him on ESPN playing in the G-League. Hopefully he saved enough for the trip to Europe. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/13/2024 at 5:39 PM, Irishman said:

Here’s a thought, why not today, start recruiting Indiana kids? I know that’s a crazy idea, but hey how’s getting all the AAU blue bloods working out?

• Like 1