Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

PLAC-MSC 2024

Figured with enrollment being released and soon to have sectionals we could start the thread and get ready for 2024. 3 new head coaches at Perry Central, Eastern (Pekin), and soon to be Mitchell. Looks like 2 teams will change classes if estimated cutlines are correct. Charlestown from 3A to 4A and Salem drops from 3A to 2A. Perry Central may be back in 1A with numbers being fixed for Mitchell and Rochester. Out of post superbowl boredom I looked at enrollment changes from last cycle. 

Mid Southern

Brownstown 488 to 469 (-17)

Charlestown 717 to 854 (+137)

Corydon 730 to 754 (+24)

Pekin 419 to 389 (-30)

North Harrison 687 to 629 (-58)

Salem 533 to 494 (-39)

Scottsburg 723 to 726 (+3)

Silver Creek 913 to 943 (+30)

PLAC

Crawford County 415 to 379 (-36)

Mitchell 453 to 430 (-23)

Paoli 401 to 396 (-5)

Perry Central 394 to 377 (-17)

Springs Valley 264 to 266 (+2)

West Washington 268 to 277 (+9)

Mostly just regular Class up and downs. Charlestown and Silver Creek continue to blow up. I think Salem will be a better fit in 2A. Hopefully we get some success this year for everyone and lots of summer updates. Looking forward to August!!

@WWFan

Brownstown started 8 SOs last season and will bring back 5 starters on offense and 7 starters on defense from our Top 5 squad last season. We will lose an incredible pair of defensive ends that were 3-year starters, I would say that is our most significant losses. 

We expect to be strong up front again with our two DTs returning (who will probably play more offense this season, as well)-- They are 6'5 285lbs and 6'3 250lbs and will both be JRs. Along with those two we bring back our MLB (SO last season), both outside LBers, one corner, and our strong safety. 

Offensively we will bring back 3 of our 5 starters on the OL, including our center who was a SO, and as mentioned--the two DTs might play some more offense. QB is back, who was a SO last year, and is having a great season on the basketball squad. We will need to replace some playmakers at WR and slot. Our WR last season was one of the better ones we've had, especially recently, and he had a huge sectional. We did have some playmakers at TE, WR, and slot on the JV team that I think will project well at the varsity level. 

Lastly, we lost our kicker and a school without soccer, sometimes that can be tricky to replace. 

All in all-- The work they've done since the end of the season/what they will do until August 23rd will determine how successful we are. As always, I can't wait for June. But we do get a sneak peek at them March 4th at our lift contest against BNL/WW. 

• Like 1

In an effort to drum up conversation and hopefully others to post some kind of a preview like btownqbcoach1 did, I'll talk about Paoli.

Offensively we bring back 10 of 11 starters, losing only Trey Rominger at Fullback. However Trey will be hard to replace as he finished 11th all-time in the state's history in rushing yards. We bring back our entire offensive line in seniors Jaxson Reynolds (6-0, 200), Jeremiah Hutcheson (6-6, 265), Peyton Baker (5-11, 230 and All-Conference in 2023), Ian Drake (5-10, 220), and Coy Busick (5-11, 230 and All-Conference in 2023). This group has quite a bit of experience as Reynolds started his sophomore year and Baker, Drake and Busick started the second half of their sophomore seasons. Senior QB Fletcher Cole returns (6-0, 180, 655 yards rushing and 12 TDs, 486 yards passing and 5 TDs, All-Conference WR '22 and QB '23). Senior WRs William Baker (6-2, 160) and Garrett Hickman (5-11, 170) return and have been playing a lot since their sophomore year. Junior Cooper Spires (6-0, 155) also saw a lot of time at WR last year. At slot back we return Juniors Dane Padgett (6-3, 190, 761 yards rushing and 10 TDs, All-Conference in 2023) and Treighlin Minton (6-2, 170, 241 yards rushing and 1 TD). Junior Coen Brace (6-0, 175) also started at slot back last year the last 3 games due to injuries and did a really nice job. I'm really curious who ends up taking the FB job. I could see it being Junior Tyler Hannon, or Sophomore Dawson Guidry. Both did a really nice job on the JV last year.

Defensively we bring back 10 of 11 starters, losing on Trey Rominger at Inside Linebacker. We rotated quite a few guys on the defensive line with Busick, Drake (All-Conference in 2023), Hutcheson probably getting the most snaps and Baker and now sophomore Rusty Turner (6-1, 240) getting quite a few snaps during the game. At OLB Reynolds (All-Conference in '22 and '23) returns and Tyler Hannon (5-9, 165) played that spot the 2nd half of the season. Padgett also rotated in that OLB.  At ILB, senior Isiah Apple (6-0 200) returns. Apple played half the season at OLB before moving inside. Hannon also played some ILB last year as well as senior Jareth Nunez (5-9, 180). At Defensive Back we return Cole (Junior All-State), Minton (All-Conference in 2023), Spires, and Baker with Hickman and senior Ashton Jones (5-10, 150) playing quite a big as well last year.

Kicking duties could go to Nunez (All-Conference in 2023) or Hannon. We are going to do our best to not have to punt but if we do, I think Sophomore Justin Thorton (5-11, 180) will do it. 

I expect we will look something like this coming into the season barring injury or a family moving to Wyoming. We have some young kids that played JV last year I'm excited to see how they've changed. I could see us trying to figure out how to use some of these kids. Hopefully it's a good season for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JQWL said:

In an effort to drum up conversation and hopefully others to post some kind of a preview like btownqbcoach1 did, I'll talk about Paoli.

Offensively we bring back 10 of 11 starters, losing only Trey Rominger at Fullback. However Trey will be hard to replace as he finished 11th all-time in the state's history in rushing yards. We bring back our entire offensive line in seniors Jaxson Reynolds (6-0, 200), Jeremiah Hutcheson (6-6, 265), Peyton Baker (5-11, 230 and All-Conference in 2023), Ian Drake (5-10, 220), and Coy Busick (5-11, 230 and All-Conference in 2023). This group has quite a bit of experience as Reynolds started his sophomore year and Baker, Drake and Busick started the second half of their sophomore seasons. Senior QB Fletcher Cole returns (6-0, 180, 655 yards rushing and 12 TDs, 486 yards passing and 5 TDs, All-Conference WR '22 and QB '23). Senior WRs William Baker (6-2, 160) and Garrett Hickman (5-11, 170) return and have been playing a lot since their sophomore year. Junior Cooper Spires (6-0, 155) also saw a lot of time at WR last year. At slot back we return Juniors Dane Padgett (6-3, 190, 761 yards rushing and 10 TDs, All-Conference in 2023) and Treighlin Minton (6-2, 170, 241 yards rushing and 1 TD). Junior Coen Brace (6-0, 175) also started at slot back last year the last 3 games due to injuries and did a really nice job. I'm really curious who ends up taking the FB job. I could see it being Junior Tyler Hannon, or Sophomore Dawson Guidry. Both did a really nice job on the JV last year.

Defensively we bring back 10 of 11 starters, losing on Trey Rominger at Inside Linebacker. We rotated quite a few guys on the defensive line with Busick, Drake (All-Conference in 2023), Hutcheson probably getting the most snaps and Baker and now sophomore Rusty Turner (6-1, 240) getting quite a few snaps during the game. At OLB Reynolds (All-Conference in '22 and '23) returns and Tyler Hannon (5-9, 165) played that spot the 2nd half of the season. Padgett also rotated in that OLB.  At ILB, senior Isiah Apple (6-0 200) returns. Apple played half the season at OLB before moving inside. Hannon also played some ILB last year as well as senior Jareth Nunez (5-9, 180). At Defensive Back we return Cole (Junior All-State), Minton (All-Conference in 2023), Spires, and Baker with Hickman and senior Ashton Jones (5-10, 150) playing quite a big as well last year.

Kicking duties could go to Nunez (All-Conference in 2023) or Hannon. We are going to do our best to not have to punt but if we do, I think Sophomore Justin Thorton (5-11, 180) will do it. 

I expect we will look something like this coming into the season barring injury or a family moving to Wyoming. We have some young kids that played JV last year I'm excited to see how they've changed. I could see us trying to figure out how to use some of these kids. Hopefully it's a good season for us.

Forgot about Oscar Lewellyn (5-11, 290). Oscar has started at NT for us the past two years. Sorry Oscar.

3 hours ago, JQWL said:

If you're gonna lose arguably the best player in school history I guess it helps to return every other body on the roster. 😂

• Like 1

I got to walk through the new gyms being built at Crawford County Friday. It's very impressive. I started thinking about which teams in the conference have the best athletic facilities. I'm going to rank them and hopefully I do a bad job and others join in because they feel slighted.

#7 Orleans: Easy pick. No football field. Their baseball field is kinda weird. Everyone is looking down on you and the fence is super short. Softball field is across town. Really like the HS gym and the auxiliary gym is ok. Elementary gym is old and cramped and no locker rooms. Their weight room is in a closet and the equipment is outdated (assuming they haven't gotten anything new since I've been in there.)

#6 Perry Central: I hate their HS gym. Just very uncomfortable to sit in. Small. I'm not sure about that dome gym but we always referred to it as the asbestos dome growing up. They do have a nice elementary gym with that huge mural in it that's pretty cool. Not a big fan of their baseball field. Everything is almost too big. Huge back stop. Huge fence. The football field is always in good shape. The track is always in good shape too. I've never been in their weight room so I can't comment on that.

#5 Springs Valley: The HS gym is great. Auxiliary gym is ok at best and elementary gym is awful. They have a nice weight room. They recently resurfaced the football field and it's in good shape. The track can't be used for home meets because the surface has to withstanding the flooding and that doesn't make it suitable for meets. I really like what they've done with the baseball and softball fields in recent years.

#4 Paoli: I like our gym a lot. My favorite is the sunken style of gym but Paoli's feels very open and I like big crowds. The lower gym that the girls play their volleyball and basketball games in i super nice for a 2nd gym and I think the elementary gym is good too for what it is. Baseball and softball fields are ok, not great. I help coach baseball too and I always feel like the kids prefer playing on the road. Football field and track is in good shape. The visiting locker room is kinda of embarrassing. Before I coached at Paoli, we never used the visiting locker room and now I know why we didn't. Weight room is big and has everything you'd want but equipment is kinda dated. It works though.

#3 Crawford County: This might be #2 when everything gets finished. Football field isn't great but the baseball field is good, their basketball facilities will be great when they're done. They are also building an additional multi-purpose gym. I haven't physically been in the weight room since they moved it but I've seen photos and it looks much betters. They also have a new indoor hitting facility for baseball and softball. Overall, things are much better at Crawford County than they were 5 years ago. Also, Crawford County has one of the best Cross Country courses in the state evidently. 

#2 West Washington: They have a really good set up for basketball. They have the nice sunken gym, auxiliary gym, a nice elementary gym and a nice (not sure why the gym floor is black) multi purpose gym. Field is always in good shape. Last time I saw the weight room it was nice. The baseball/softball areas could use some work. I would compare them with ours. Just nothing you can really say. The track is ok but their numbers are normally low in track so I get why they don't do much with it. I really wish we had a facility like the Bowsman complex. 

#1 Mitchell: Mitchell has done a great job with their renovations. Baseball, softball, and football field all turfed. Looks great. Someone on Facebook posts photos of their new basketball facility almost daily and it looks great as well. I almost applied for their football job just to get a tour. I haven't been in their weight room but I've never heard anything bad about it. Their track always seems to be in good shape too. Only thing I can think of that I don't care for is their HS gym. I don't know why. Maybe it's the layout but I don't like going there at all.

Hopefully the 2 other PLAC guys on this forum can tell me why I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, JQWL said:

I got to walk through the new gyms being built at Crawford County Friday. It's very impressive. I started thinking about which teams in the conference have the best athletic facilities. I'm going to rank them and hopefully I do a bad job and others join in because they feel slighted.

#7 Orleans: Easy pick. No football field. Their baseball field is kinda weird. Everyone is looking down on you and the fence is super short. Softball field is across town. Really like the HS gym and the auxiliary gym is ok. Elementary gym is old and cramped and no locker rooms. Their weight room is in a closet and the equipment is outdated (assuming they haven't gotten anything new since I've been in there.)

#6 Perry Central: I hate their HS gym. Just very uncomfortable to sit in. Small. I'm not sure about that dome gym but we always referred to it as the asbestos dome growing up. They do have a nice elementary gym with that huge mural in it that's pretty cool. Not a big fan of their baseball field. Everything is almost too big. Huge back stop. Huge fence. The football field is always in good shape. The track is always in good shape too. I've never been in their weight room so I can't comment on that.

#5 Springs Valley: The HS gym is great. Auxiliary gym is ok at best and elementary gym is awful. They have a nice weight room. They recently resurfaced the football field and it's in good shape. The track can't be used for home meets because the surface has to withstanding the flooding and that doesn't make it suitable for meets. I really like what they've done with the baseball and softball fields in recent years.

#4 Paoli: I like our gym a lot. My favorite is the sunken style of gym but Paoli's feels very open and I like big crowds. The lower gym that the girls play their volleyball and basketball games in i super nice for a 2nd gym and I think the elementary gym is good too for what it is. Baseball and softball fields are ok, not great. I help coach baseball too and I always feel like the kids prefer playing on the road. Football field and track is in good shape. The visiting locker room is kinda of embarrassing. Before I coached at Paoli, we never used the visiting locker room and now I know why we didn't. Weight room is big and has everything you'd want but equipment is kinda dated. It works though.

#3 Crawford County: This might be #2 when everything gets finished. Football field isn't great but the baseball field is good, their basketball facilities will be great when they're done. They are also building an additional multi-purpose gym. I haven't physically been in the weight room since they moved it but I've seen photos and it looks much betters. They also have a new indoor hitting facility for baseball and softball. Overall, things are much better at Crawford County than they were 5 years ago. Also, Crawford County has one of the best Cross Country courses in the state evidently. 

#2 West Washington: They have a really good set up for basketball. They have the nice sunken gym, auxiliary gym, a nice elementary gym and a nice (not sure why the gym floor is black) multi purpose gym. Field is always in good shape. Last time I saw the weight room it was nice. The baseball/softball areas could use some work. I would compare them with ours. Just nothing you can really say. The track is ok but their numbers are normally low in track so I get why they don't do much with it. I really wish we had a facility like the Bowsman complex. 

#1 Mitchell: Mitchell has done a great job with their renovations. Baseball, softball, and football field all turfed. Looks great. Someone on Facebook posts photos of their new basketball facility almost daily and it looks great as well. I almost applied for their football job just to get a tour. I haven't been in their weight room but I've never heard anything bad about it. Their track always seems to be in good shape too. Only thing I can think of that I don't care for is their HS gym. I don't know why. Maybe it's the layout but I don't like going there at all.

Hopefully the 2 other PLAC guys on this forum can tell me why I'm wrong!

I like the idea here.  Ill play along.

#1- Mitchell- mine is based solely off of what little I have seen with the outdoor facilities. Outdoor facilities look awesome and should for years to come.  Not a huge fan of the visiting football locker room setup but I've been in much worse!  I have never been a fan of their HS gym.  I do love what they did with the older gym behind the school there.  I cannot remember the name of it but it has that Hoosier Gym kind of feel.  From the few pics/videos I have seen weight room setup looks really nice.

#2- Probably going with WW from an overall standpoint.  When you figure in all of the gyms (I believe the black court is to add to the lighting effect in that gym for drama/production type events), the Bowsman Complex, recent baseball/softball upgrades and the football fieldhouse, there's alot to boast about there.  I think it probably rivals Mitchell other than mitchell is "new" and WW is about the only school with traditional backyard type grass on the football field.  But it's always painted up and looks awesome.  Weight room/locker room setup is great.

My 3-5 is a bit of a tossup.  I have not been to CC since the fall so I cannot comment on the additions.  I know those additions will certainly make it much "nicer" than some other schools

#3-Paoli- I do love the setup of Chambers Gymnasium.  I have always loved the upper deck portion and especially that above the goal.  Personally I like those more than the sunken gyms that get so much love.  Football field always in good shape, football locker room is a great setup. Not to mention the football practice field that is nicer than a few PLAC game fields!  Aux gym is nice and nothing wrong with the gym at Throop.  Baseball and softball are fine.  It's a shame that more schools don't have more facilities for spring sports like baseball/softball.  Havent been in Paoli's weight room in years. Honestly don't even know where it is housed now. I used to love the setup there below the football field with the locker room.  Neat setup and always loved the weight meet Paoli hosted in the late 90's.

#4- CC- Even without seeing renovations they have alot of the same things mentioned about Paoli.  Gyms are similar, baseball/softball fields similar and the hitting facility is a great addition.  I also love their little league fields being there.  Always fun in the summer.  Biggest knock from my #3 and #4 is the football field itself.  Honestly I wouldnt say CC's visiting locker room situation is any better than paoli's and the playing surface isnt as nice. Not to mention the home announcer is brutal! haha. 

#5- SV- Obviously the HS gym gets alot of attention and I think it made a huge difference when they extended the gym floor all the way to the bleachers and got rid of the gray concrete border.  Football field is taken care of and has been in great shape the past few years.  Football and basketball locker rooms have been upgraded and are the best they can be all things considered. Baseball/softball fields have had alot of attention recently.  Softball field and dugouts look great.  Aux gym is ok.  Elementary gym is what it is.  I would think that with some light construction that elem gym could be extended and made into something usable for basketball.  But like other schools, a baseball/softball type facility would be helpful.  Track sure does what they can with what they have to work with! 

#6- PC-  The only reason they are this low is the HS gym.  Just not a fan of that gym.  Auxiliary gym in progress and of course have the elementary dome gym!  It's a national treasure I think.  Built at the same time as Epcot? haha.  All fields are always very well maintained.  JQWL mentioned that the baseball backstop is awful but everything else is pretty nice.  One thing that stands out about all of PC's fields is the way all of their scoreboards match.  Very clean look and nice touch.  PC was really the first "field house" type setup with football too.  I have only seen pics of the weight room and been inside the locker room door. Like CC, once the renovations are finished I am sure PC will move up a list like this.

#7- Orleans- for all of the reasons already mentioned. Not much else to say. 

• Like 1

Just strictly speaking "gyms"... gyms only. I'd take Paoli well before WW, and I have not been to the new Mitchell gym, but the old Mitchell gym-- Paoli would still be ahead of them for me. 

Sidenote- I would also take Paoli's gym over BC's, just showing it's not a bias thing. Love that gym. 

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Tell City at home this year, and next year they will pick up Clarksville. 

Pick up Clarksville week 2? Would mean WW will have an opening next season. 

Figured I'll get my WW preview out of the way. May do Valley to my best abilities later in summer. 

Going into year 4 of Lowery and going into what seems to be a transition year after the loss of quite a few seniors they will look to build and get the foundation settled. Last yr around week 6 they went full flexbone offense after running a power I version for a year and a half

Offense- New QB, WRs, 2 OL, and a RB or 2 are expected to be figured out over the summer. I expect SO Holden Russell to start under center after running the JV offense last year. While not as fast as Chase he may be or become a better passer. This will be his 3rd offense in 3 years. JR High he was in a spread passing and then last year ran that previous Power I. I'm sure alot of the same concepts will carry over so the transition could be minimal. Back up QB is a mystery. Incoming freshman Jent Tankersly ran the 8th grade and both back up QBs from last year also graduated. Im sure they will find and older kid to learn incase holden goes down. (I'd guess RB/K/LB Gavin Hunt). At RB they lose Greyson McCoy who also may have been best WR. SR Hudson Cress and SR Tyler Miller return. Cress is small and shifty but lined up mostly at FB but did play SB as a freshman when they tried a flexbone/Shotgun marriage that led to divorce. Miller played TE as a sophomore and moved to RB last year but didn't see a ton of carries. He may move back to TE if they feel SO Jamesdon Collier is ready for a decent role. I'd expect JR Hunt to start after coming over from Salem for his sophomore yr. In the event the JV gets some varsity time I'd expect incoming freshman Xander McPheeters to get in. OL last year went through 3 LTs before season ended. 1 returns so Collin Hasty may get first crack to keep it. They return JR Jack Armstrong (RT), JR Rolondo Brookover (C), and SR Alex Houchins (G). The guard to replace is JG Cruz. JR Zach McCutcheon started at C for JV and maybe Brookover slides over or he gets moved. Could also be SO Gavin Clunie (6'2 250ish). Be a competition im sure. WRs is a mystery to me. Titan Williams, Jaxon Cambron, and McCoy all graduated. I'd say JR Hayden Morrow and SR Jaden Griffith start off but I'd keep an eye on SO Colton Brown. He has a good report with Russell and looked good on JV. 

Defensively you'll see alot of the same kids but more rotations. I feel they have a slew of LBs who can play/rotate so I'd expect a 3-4/3-5 type of alignment. SO Wyatt Wallace started at LB as a freshman in Sectional loss to Valley so I expect him to get good time along with returning Armstrong, Miller, and Hunt. SO Tristan Brown and JR Brennan Sears also could see some time. Finding some DL who can rotate in will be key and quite a bit of change in the secondary too. Morrow did start a few games at safety. 

Overall this season could go any direction. Gaining strength is a must if they want to get back to competing for PLAC. Too many loses just getting the ball ran down their throats. Paoli, PC, Valley, and the Salem Collapse all games they just got beat up front. The defense was different then previous years with the 3 man line but having all the LBs off the line didn't work in games against power run teams. I think the Sophmore class is good. The freshman class was around .500 in JR high but have some pieces that may factor in down the road. I didn't project guys who missed alot of time last year (Alex Willams, IzIah Dennis, and Landon Holloway) so if they play/are ready that'll give more bodies. Team is young (8 seniors) and lots of new starters at key spots so could be a rough season. Overall numbers continue to improve over last 3 to 4 years. When Lowery took over he had about 32 on roster and last year was around 45. JR High played a 7th and 8th grade team last year for first time in a long time and Youth league had 70+ and 4 teams over 4 grades. Be an interesting season for sure and im sure will have plenty of ups and downs

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

2 mid southern heading to basketball state finals. Gotta be a first. Congrats to Brownstown and Scottsburg!! Is Scottsburg senior heavy? I've watched Btown....but haven't seen Scottsburg at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 11:27 AM, cloudofdust said:

Very exciting for the MSC.

Both Schools had outstanding girls seasons as well.

Brownstown lost to a very good Luers team this year at state and Scottsburg was cut out at Semi-State

Had to look and see if these had been played yet. Looks like they play this weekend. 14 days between live action. Legs shouldn’t be an issue. 

On 3/17/2024 at 7:43 AM, WWFan said:

Is Scottsburg senior heavy? I've watched Btown....but haven't seen Scottsburg at all. 

According to this missive Scottsburg is really a band school, not a basketball school:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2024/03/27/a-judge-on-the-sax-must-be-scottsburg-pep-band-at-ihsaa-3a-title-game/73085808007/

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I consider knowing what you don’t know to be a real skill set. That no one at the Star possess, least of which would be Gregg Doyle. Yes Scottsburg has a decent band, but the basketball roots run much deeper. 

On 3/17/2024 at 7:43 AM, WWFan said:

2 mid southern heading to basketball state finals. Gotta be a first. Congrats to Brownstown and Scottsburg!! Is Scottsburg senior heavy? I've watched Btown....but haven't seen Scottsburg at all. 

Yes SB is all SRs. 

Ironically... 3 kids from SBs team, 2 from BC, Kaysim Nash and Carter Kent all played together growing up in AAU. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I consider knowing what you don’t know to be a real skill set. That no one at the Star possess, least of which would be Gregg Doyle. Yes Scottsburg has a decent band, but the basketball roots run much deeper. 

Making the ISSMA state finals 30 times in the last 41 years is not just a 'decent' band.  It's arguably the most successful extracurricular activity Scottsburg has.

Just now, Impartial_Observer said:

That no one outside the band at Scottsburg cares about. 

I care.  Mr. Doyel cares.  These Scottsburg residents and alumni seems to care.  

You apparent disdain for non-athletic high school activities is noted.