Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2024 Turf and Beyond

32 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I’ve long stated, if you’re a sports fan, I can drive within an hour of my house on any given Friday night and see a quality athletic event for 5-6-7 bucks whatever it costs to get in. You can not beat that entertainment value anywhere. And I’ll never get my panties in a wad investing in our youth. You want to talk about property taxes, let’s examine why every cop in the state is driving a new SUV, why local police forces need APC’s, and all the high tech gadgetry that they do to basically enforce traffic laws and bust high school drinking parties. 

We're definitely on the same page when it comes to the first half of your paragraph. I'd need more information regarding the latter half..........maybe in a PM or the OOB's forum. 

21 hours ago, Muda69 said:

But hey the student manager who had to wash all those muddy uniforms on a Saturday morning ended up turning the experience into moola, he now runs a successful dry cleaning business.

image.png.e2f11598996d29b1cd86125c7fc05b78.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I’ve long stated, if you’re a sports fan, I can drive within an hour of my house on any given Friday night and see a quality athletic event for 5-6-7 bucks whatever it costs to get in. You can not beat that entertainment value anywhere. 

You obviously haven't seen the last few Clinton Central - Frankfort matchups.  

Your Geography teacher failed you, or perhaps it was your English teacher. 

They did?  I could have sworn Clinton Central and Frankfort high schools are only 6-7 miles apart.

5 hours ago, Cloudy14 said:

.Maybe you should start your own thread "TURF SUCKS, SOD RULES"

He probably did in the OOB forum and only 3 people would have seen it.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

40 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

He probably did in the OOB forum and only 3 people would have seen it.

I don't believe I did.  But you go on believing that if it makes you feel morally superior.

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

They did?  I could have sworn Clinton Central and Frankfort high schools are only 6-7 miles apart.

I can drive within an hour of my house on any given Friday night
Neither are within an hour of my house. And to extrapolate out further, I’m sure there’s quality Football being played within an hour of your house as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I can drive within an hour of my house on any given Friday night

Oh, ok.  

15 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Neither are within an hour of my house. And to extrapolate out further, I’m sure there’s quality Football being played within an hour of your house as well. 

Thank you for those observations.  So you don't go watch the Owls play every Friday night?

On 2/14/2024 at 10:59 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

LOL.  Would be brutal to play on if Black in August!  and probably tough with black jerseys.  I imagine it will be really nice when complete.  Hope yours doesn't have any delays like ours did a few years ago... Though I wouldn't mind playing week 1 at home! LOL.  

Our staff has had a relationship with a successful coach in Cali, Coach Murphy, He just stepped down at Clayton Valley Charter, anyways, he had a black turf field told me when I asked about it that it was actually field tested to be less hot to play on then other color fields/grass fields for what its worth.  

23 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I don't recall a $3,000,00 jumbotron at a college/university being paid for with taxpayer funds.  Are my local property taxes not enough to properly fund the local government schools, to support it's primary mission?

in short, NO, your local property tax is very much no longer close to being anything significant for funding since 2009

https://www.chalkbeat.org/indiana/2015/1/4/21101788/the-basics-of-school-funding-in-indiana-difficulty-defining-fairness/

A move away from property taxes

Since the 1970s, Indiana has relied less on local property taxes to fund schools than neighboring states, with the state funding a larger share through sales and income taxes than many states that base their systems primarily on local property taxes.

In the 2000s, Indiana’s state share of general fund dollars to pay for day-to-day operations of schools — such as salaries for teachers and other school workers, equipment like computers and supplies needed to run the schools — had grown from about two-thirds to roughly 85 percent. Just 15 percent of local general funds for schools were paid by property taxes before 2009.

But a change in the law took local property taxes out of the equation entirely when it came to funding the day-to-day expenses of schools. Some local property taxes were still collected to help schools pay for transportation or buildings. Schools could still ask voters to raise local property taxes for extra operating money, but most haven’t asked.

As part of the shift to state funding of school operations, Indiana increased the state sales tax to 7 percent from 6 percent and touted the new system as tax relief for homeowners. But when a recession hit at the same time, causing sales and income tax revenue to drop, the state budget was soon stressed, and schools were among the services that saw funding cut.

As of 2012, U.S. Census data showed that just two states had a greater percentage of school spending coming from the state rather than local, federal or other sources than Indiana’s 51 percent. Only five states relied less on local taxes to fund schools. But Indiana also spent less per student on education than the U.S. average, ranking 28th nationally, according to the Census. Of the four states that border Indiana, only Kentucky spent less per student.

Lawmakers cap property taxes

In 2010, school funding was complicated some more by an effort to make property taxes, which sometimes shifted up or down unexpectedly for homeowners when their home values changed, more stable. The legislature’s solution was tax caps: homeowners now can’t pay more than one percent of the total assessed value of their property in property taxes. So if a home is assessed at 150,000, the residents won’t pay more than $1,500 in property taxes.

But while this stabilized tax bills, it made funding for some school services that still are paid by property taxes, such as transportation, less stable.

Before the change, the tax rate rose when the assessed value of a home dropped, so schools and local governments could still collect the same amount of money. But with the tax caps, the tax rate is now fixed at one percent. The limit means that revenue might fall behind what schools and government need to support the services they pay for.

For example, some districts are using property taxes to pay down debt for school buildings they’ve constructed. For those districts, debt service might eat up a greater portion of the property taxes collected, leaving less to pay for other services, such as busing children to school.

When a district in that situation hits the maximum amount it can collect in property taxes, money can run short as expenses still grow. Costs go up, for example, to buy new buses, repair older ones and pay bus drivers.

When that happens, schools face difficult choices. They can pay for busing by making cuts in other areas, or they can ask voters to approve an additional local property tax hike through a referendum. As a last resort, some districts have cut back transportation services, reducing or even seeking to eliminate buses to bring children to school.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

A move away from property taxes

Since the 1970s, Indiana has relied less on local property taxes to fund schools than neighboring states, with the state funding a larger share through sales and income taxes than many states that base their systems primarily on local property taxes.

Thank you for the information.   I will correct my statement to read:  "Are my local property, sales, and income taxes not enough to properly fund the local government schools, to support it's primary mission?"

for me, the question is not something that can be broadly answered

For Maconaquah, to Frankfort, to Carmel, to Rensselaer and all in between all have different needs 

Public Education is not a 1 size fits all

The issues that could face Carmel are not the same issues that face East Chicago nor Castle.  

(reference, picked a north school, middle state school, southern tip school) 

So Muda, question cannot be answered by me, because from your home in the county/city/town you reside could be enough, for you, but for your neighbor it may not just like it may not be enough for another public school district elsewhere 

• Like 2

Is it the reading or the comprehension that’s so difficult for you? No I do NOT go watch the Owls play every Friday night. 

• Like 1

Is it the reading or the comprehension that’s so difficult for you? No I do NOT go watch the Owls play every Friday night. 

Why not?  You don't want to be true to your school?

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

So Muda, question cannot be answered by me, because from your home in the county/city/town you reside could be enough, for you, but for your neighbor it may not just like it may not be enough for another public school district elsewhere 

I generally agree.  My property taxes increased when CSF spent $30 million several years ago to renovate the high school.  I voted against the referendum, of course.  It was too expensive IMHO.

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

for me, the question is not something that can be broadly answered

For Maconaquah, to Frankfort, to Carmel, to Rensselaer and all in between all have different needs 

Public Education is not a 1 size fits all

The issues that could face Carmel are not the same issues that face East Chicago nor Castle.  

(reference, picked a north school, middle state school, southern tip school) 

Thank you Coach, you gave the best answer yet - its up to the community.

• Like 1