OrangeFever

Hoosier Hills Conference 2017

I looked at the records of the teams not named Columbus East and who they've beaten. The HHC looks to be as down as it's been in 10 or so years.  Floyd has looked good so far but you could make a case their best performance was a losing effort against Male.  If this is their best team in 10 years the game should definitely be closer than 3 touchdowns.  I'm really curious to see how the interior line on both sides and secondary does.  Hopefully the Ends and LB can slow up CE and FC can establish the run.  I don't think they can consistently line up and run N/S.

4 minutes ago, Colonel85 said:

I looked at the records of the teams not named Columbus East and who they've beaten. The HHC looks to be as down as it's been in 10 or so years.  Floyd has looked good so far but you could make a case their best performance was a losing effort against Male.  If this is their best team in 10 years the game should definitely be closer than 3 touchdowns.  I'm really curious to see how the interior line on both sides and secondary does.  Hopefully the Ends and LB can slow up CE and FC can establish the run.  I don't think they can consistently line up and run N/S.

From what little I've seen, in my opinion the HHC is better this year than it has been in 4-5 years. 

Seymour appeared to be much better last year and lost their head coach.  I thought they were really heading in the right direction and had one of their better seasons in recent memory.  NA lost their head coach and I thought they were a little better.  Bedford seemed to have a good Senior class last year and Jeff lost a QB who's at Purdue and a very solid RB in Barnett.   If you look at the teams beaten and lost to it seems down to me.  Other than Fc competing with Male,  the NA loss to Castle might be the next best unless I'm missing something .  Castle seems to be down a little also after losing a really good class.   I haven't seen many games this year so maybe I'm wrong....  Hopefully FC proves we are legit

8 hours ago, Colonel85 said:

Seymour appeared to be much better last year and lost their head coach.  I thought they were really heading in the right direction and had one of their better seasons in recent memory.  NA lost their head coach and I thought they were a little better.  Bedford seemed to have a good Senior class last year and Jeff lost a QB who's at Purdue and a very solid RB in Barnett.   If you look at the teams beaten and lost to it seems down to me.  Other than Fc competing with Male,  the NA loss to Castle might be the next best unless I'm missing something .  Castle seems to be down a little also after losing a really good class.   I haven't seen many games this year so maybe I'm wrong....  Hopefully FC proves we are legit

FC IS LEGIT.

I'm telling you all, I would be absolutely shocked if this wasn't a close game in the 3rd quarter (within 10-12 points). East may pull away and win by 3 TD's in the end, but FC will play them tough for at least a half. My guess is that this is a 21-13 game in the mid 3rd quarter.

Bedford had a very talented and athletic senior class last season, but the work ethic and commitment wasn't there. Only a small handful of seniors this season, but the few are hard working and committed for the most part. Very much a Junior and Sophomore loaded team this year and you can see it in some of the results.

Seymour lost a lot from last year, but as I said last week, they will be a dangerous team when they get it rolling. The win against BNL might have gotten it rolling. They will be a hard out in sectionals.

NA has some VERY talented players

Jeff's current QB will be better in a year or 2 than their last was. He's young and growing, but full of potential

Floyd, NA, and Jeff should've already beaten East by now. You can't dog on Columbus East for being so dominate when you have 3 schools with 1800-2000 students. It's their fault for not having better teams. Especially Jeffersonville. Man, they waste more talent and size than anyone.

Could you guys imagine if Bob Gaddis and his staff took over Jeff? Scary.

1 hour ago, FishDuck said:

FC IS LEGIT.

I'm telling you all, I would be absolutely shocked if this wasn't a close game in the 3rd quarter (within 10-12 points). East may pull away and win by 3 TD's in the end, but FC will play them tough for at least a half. My guess is that this is a 21-13 game in the mid 3rd quarter.

Bedford had a very talented and athletic senior class last season, but the work ethic and commitment wasn't there. Only a small handful of seniors this season, but the few are hard working and committed for the most part. Very much a Junior and Sophomore loaded team this year and you can see it in some of the results.

Seymour lost a lot from last year, but as I said last week, they will be a dangerous team when they get it rolling. The win against BNL might have gotten it rolling. They will be a hard out in sectionals.

NA has some VERY talented players

Jeff's current QB will be better in a year or 2 than their last was. He's young and growing, but full of potential

FC will play East tough but I don't think it will be that close. East is still head and shoulders better than Floyd.

• Like 1

We made a reference to Columbus East conference win streak on twitter, in reference to Indy Star's claim that New Pal held the most impressive conference dominance in the state, perhaps the country. The Olympians have not won a conference game by less than 21 points since 2012. They have won 73 consecutive conference games and 94 out of the last 95. I think FC is better this year, but they will not come close to breaking either of the mentioned streaks by the Olympians. 

• Like 1

All this talk is interesting but until one of you beat East, you're all playing for second place. . . . . and you're not a close second.  

2 hours ago, Butter Bean said:

All this talk is interesting but until one of you beat East, you're all playing for second place. . . . . and you're not a close second.  

If you had taken the time to read the previous 19 pages here, you'd see that CE's dominance of the HHC has been widely acknowledged. If you can't see that.....well, reading comprehension might not be your thing.  CE is the football standard the rest of the schools in the HHC are trying hard to meet. Nobody is claiming that they're ready to knock CE off it's pedestal......but thanks for the profound comment Captain Obvious.

• Like 1

Mr. Einstein (Dawg_Dad),    I regularly read this site.  My comments were based on contributors from Seymour, Bedford, Floyd Central, New Albany wishing and hoping to be able to compete with East someday.   Wishing and hoping won't get it done,   East is the fifth biggest school in HHC.  They out work and out coach the rest of the conference.   New Albany asked for a running clock in the second half against both Columbus schools last year.   If East left HHC, it would be a very competitive conference.  That's not likely to happen, although East tried to get out last year.  I have commented before on this site how it's a mystery no one can compete with East.  I feel the East program is set up for two goals.  Beating Columbus North and going far in the tourney.  The conference play is just something to do between the North game and the tourney starting.  

Is Gunner Kiel's career over?  And what about Markell Jones?  Is his injury serious or he he just fallen out of favor with the Purdue coaching staff?  Thought at one time both would be in the NFL.  

15 minutes ago, Butter Bean said:

Mr. Einstein (Dawg_Dad),    I regularly read this site.  My comments were based on contributors from Seymour, Bedford, Floyd Central, New Albany wishing and hoping to be able to compete with East someday.   Wishing and hoping won't get it done,   East is the fifth biggest school in HHC.  They out work and out coach the rest of the conference.   New Albany asked for a running clock in the second half against both Columbus schools last year.   If East left HHC, it would be a very competitive conference.  That's not likely to happen, although East tried to get out last year.  I have commented before on this site how it's a mystery no one can compete with East.  I feel the East program is set up for two goals.  Beating Columbus North and going far in the tourney.  The conference play is just something to do between the North game and the tourney starting.  

Several factors:

Quality coaching at the youth level. (large influx of OH dads in the early days of Honda) I haven't seen PAAL in several years, this may not still be the case. 

Quality coaching at the MS level. Don't underestimate this factor, it's HUGE. Where most schools are looking for someone with a pulse, Central and Northside had quality coaches and they were getting things done with those kids. 

Decent athletes and plenty of them. Seriously there has been a long list of next level players coming out of this program. What other program is doing that in the HHC? Seymour had it's fair share in late 80's thru early 2000's. FC's had a few, but no one has had the number of next level players that East has had. Coaching? Genetics? Something in the water in Clifty Creek?

23 minutes ago, Butter Bean said:

My comments were based on contributors from Seymour, Bedford, Floyd Central, New Albany wishing and hoping to be able to compete with East someday.   Wishing and hoping won't get it done,  

Of course they are.....what else would you have them do. These guys are fans and parents on a website talking about their team. That's how this internet thing works.

27 minutes ago, Butter Bean said:

They out work and out coach the rest of the conference.

They absolutely do that. So why do you find that it's a mystery that no one can compete with East? They have a great coach who's been there since 2002 and built a football culture from the youth league on up. If you find that a mystery, then I can't help you.

30 minutes ago, Butter Bean said:

New Albany asked for a running clock in the second half against both Columbus schools last year

And your point is? I'll direct you to last years HC Sean Coultis. They did not have a running clock this year.

The East program is set up to win. Great coach, knowledgeable staff, supportive admin and parents, quality youth program, nice facility....all the thing that make a winning program. But I'm old enough to remember the late 90's when East was 0-10 back to back. Coach Gaddis has built a fine program, but it won't last forever. It never does. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Columbus East is a great program top to bottom and you can't take anything away from them but it's an embarrassment that Fc, NA, Jeff, etc. haven't  been able to compete.  NA is the only team I can give a pass to right now.  They lost their head coach and could've had Rondale Moore (Trinity HS, Texas commit), Herron (Trinity HS, Michigan commit), and Julius Brent's (Waggener, High Division 1 with offers everywhere) if it weren't for transfers.  Put those kids with Richardson, Payton,etc. and I'll take it.   Southern Indiana football won't get any respect until the programs in the area learn how to develop their programs like New Pal, East, etc. from grade school up.  We've been behind the curve on weight training, 7 on 7, etc. for years

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Colonel85 said:

Columbus East is a great program top to bottom and you can't take anything away from them but it's an embarrassment that Fc, NA, Jeff, etc. haven't  been able to compete.  NA is the only team I can give a pass to right now.  They lost their head coach and could've had Rondale Moore (Trinity HS, Texas commit), Herron (Trinity HS, Michigan commit), and Julius Brent's (Waggener, High Division 1 with offers everywhere) if it weren't for transfers.  Put those kids with Richardson, Payton,etc. and I'll take it.   Southern Indiana football won't get any respect until the programs in the area learn how to develop their programs like New Pal, East, etc. from grade school up.  We've been behind the curve on weight training, 7 on 7, etc. for years

I agree completely. I won't even give NA a pass though. The right coach could have developed a relationship with the guys you mentioned and maybe kept them at NA.

Your last point is especially on the money. You have to have continuity with your coaching staff that develops from the youth program up. Unfortunately,  Jeff, Seymour, and NA have gone thru several coaches recently......and that really hurts the process. CE didn't invent the formula, but they've perfected it over the years and deserve the respect they get.

32 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

There are several people involved in this thread that need to get into coaching high school sports.

I did. It was a great experience.Baseball in KY in late 80's. Also played D2 baseball and had a son play D3 football if that is germane. I have great respect for those that make a living doing it....I was too greedy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Butter Bean said:

Give me a break. "Outwork." Brian Glesing goes and gets chemotherapy and then shows up and coaches his butt off. If he can ever put 4 guys on the line of scrimmage at 280+ like East does, he'll have that type of success. Our boys compete with East at the HHC powerlifting tournament every year. East reaps the benefits of genetics. Big, strong, kids. I get that Floyd isn't as good as East. However, our Varsity is 4-1. JV 3-0. Freshman 5-0. 8th grade is undefeated. 7th grade is undefeated. Our school has grown from 1600 kids to 1800 kids in a short period of time. It won't be long and we might catch up with East.

Edited by fkfootball
  • Like 1

I will say this. All teams work "hard" some just gel better then others. All of these kids go out and want to win, sometimes it just doesn't happen. I will say this, if East loses a game this year, next, or the following year, I would bet money it's either to FC or NA. I am surprised that East hasn't had an off game and lost during that 73 game conference win streak. I had no idea that no games have been within 21 points since 2013. 

With all of this discussion on hard work and coaching I have come up with the best coaches in the HHC. 

1. Gaddis - CE

2. Miller - CE (will be an amazing head coach, played in the NFL and is currently the Line coach) 

3. Glesing - FC

4. BNL/NA coach. Both coaches are turning around the programs. 

7 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

I will say this. All teams work "hard" some just gel better then others. All of these kids go out and want to win, sometimes it just doesn't happen. I will say this, if East loses a game this year, next, or the following year, I would bet money it's either to FC or NA. I am surprised that East hasn't had an off game and lost during that 73 game conference win streak. I had no idea that no games have been within 21 points since 2013. 

With all of this discussion on hard work and coaching I have come up with the best coaches in the HHC. 

1. Gaddis - CE

2. Miller - CE (will be an amazing head coach, played in the NFL and is currently the Line coach) 

3. Glesing - FC

4. BNL/NA coach. Both coaches are turning around the programs. 

Is Miller the guy that will take over for Gaddis?

Edited by fkfootball

Oh please. . . . . East just scored 77 points on NA last week.  If NA beats East in the next several years it will be historical.  

Jeffersonville and New Albany should be the powers in the HHC.  They aren't the powers for several reasons, only a few of which occur on the athletic field.  I would think Floyd Central will be the team most likely to challenge East in the future.  

22 minutes ago, Butter Bean said:

Oh please. . . . . East just scored 77 points on NA last week.  If NA beats East in the next several years it will be historical.  

Jeffersonville and New Albany should be the powers in the HHC.  They aren't the powers for several reasons, only a few of which occur on the athletic field.  I would think Floyd Central will be the team most likely to challenge East in the future.  

It will be Floyd or NA.. 

58 minutes ago, fkfootball said:

Is Miller the guy that will take over for Gaddis?

That would be my guess. Vogel is the defensive coach, but my vote is Miller takes over. Guy knows his football. 

I won't speak to who will be the next to climb over the CE HILL. I also can't  tell you what programs are making the right changes.  I can say that things are moving in the right direction here. It is looking like the "Center Grove" model. Speaking about the facilities and plan, not the talent of course. GO STARS!

They Seymour game we didn't look like the same team as weeks prior.

Hopefully was a wake up call. We need to develop the killer mentality full time , I could see the lack of it by their body language,

I'm sure Coach has lined that out thid week.

Edited by richinthedirt
  • Upvote 2