Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Innovative or offensive? Carmel teachers offered $18K to drive school buses amid shortage

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/education/2019/07/10/carmel-schools-teachers-drive-school-buses-shortage-continues/1641146001/

A handful of elementary teachers at Carmel Clay Schools will drive buses next school year before and after spending their day in the classroom.

The district has struggled to find bus drivers for years, said Associate Superintendent Roger McMichael. Each drive two or three routes every day to try to be more efficient. Some days there aren't enough drivers for every bus, which McMichael said is difficult to make up for and causes students to be picked up late.

So administrators decided to try an unusual strategy — offering teachers $18,000 to get in the driver's seat.

McMichael gives two arguments for the approach: That this could be more convenient than other second jobs available to teachers, and that teachers' ability to manage a classroom will make them a valuable bus driver.

"Teachers' background, by definition, makes them highly qualified to be a bus driver," McMichael said. "Clearly they have a love for children, but beyond that they know how to interact with children."

Mike Bostic was the first teacher to take Carmel schools up on the offer last spring. He has gone through the extensive licensing process, which included weeks of training provided by the district.

Five more teachers are now going through the training.

Here's what Bostic said his day will look like when school starts in August: 

Each morning Bostic will drive to the transportation depot around 6 a.m. to pick up his bus.

He'll start by picking up and dropping off middle and high school students, who start earlier in the morning.

Then he'll run an elementary route that ends at the school where he teaches, Forest Dale Elementary.

After working a full day as a physical education teacher, he'll leave about 10 minutes after school releases to do the same thing in reverse — starting with an elementary route and ending with a secondary route.

"Then I'll come home and take a big nap," he said, likely around 4:30 p.m.

Innovative or offensive?

For Bostic, this seemed like a good opportunity to make more money without having to miss weeknights or weekends with his family. He said he will make more money than he did as varsity tennis coach, which he did for 15 years.

A good way to make some extra $.

• Disdain 1

6 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

That’s some lazy HR right there.

Please elaborate.  It appears the Carmel Clay schools have made reasonable attempts to attract bus drivers, a part time positions.

FTA:

McMichael said Carmel schools currently employs around 180 drivers but in the fall could use 10 more.

Right now the offer is only open to elementary teachers because they start later in the morning and therefore can run two routes. But McMichael said that could change after this school year if the district decides to change start times, something administrators are considering

Over the past few years the district has tried to make the position more enticing to outside candidates. McMichael said Carmel schools offers a signing bonus and a $1,500 stipend after six months. Bus drivers make more than $100 a day, he said.

However, drivers are not offered benefits, which McMichael said limits the candidate pool.

During the a June 26 board meeting, Carmel officials pointed to a national shortage. School districts around the country have reported a struggle to hire drivers. 

A 2018 survey from School Bus Fleet magazine found that 91 percent of responding school districts had a driver shortage. More than 30 percent said it was "severe" or "desperate."

Are you saying Carmel Clay school should extend medical and other benefits to its school bus drivers?

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Why should our tax dollars be used to pay bus drivers? 

They shouldn't, as they shouldn't be paying for education of any kind.    But as a solutions oriented individual, and realizing that removing the entire government education edifice cannot be done in a day,  simply offered my short term opinion on the matter.

• Disdain 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Please elaborate.  It appears the Carmel Clay schools have made reasonable attempts to attract bus drivers, a part time positions.

FTA:

Are you saying Carmel Clay school should extend medical and other benefits to its school bus drivers?

They do that in Vegas; CCSD is still short drivers.

As gonzo eludes to, why shouldn't parents be responsible for their children's school transportation in the first place?   I don't recall transportation to/from a government school being enumerated in the Indiana State Constitution.

• Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

As gonzo eludes to, why shouldn't parents be responsible for their children's school transportation in the first place?   I don't recall transportation to/from a government school being enumerated in the Indiana State Constitution.

Some people have jobs that conflict with school hours.

22 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Some people have jobs that conflict with school hours.

Then let the free market provide for-hire transportation services to/from government schools. Problem solved.

• Disdain 2

8 hours ago, Muda69 said:

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I agree....great idea.

Image result for not so fast there my friend gif

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Then let the free market provide for-hire transportation services to/from government schools. Problem solved.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

That’s a good idea. 

15 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

A lot of families cannot pay for that.

Then I suggest they approach private charity for assistance.  Lots of church buses out there that could provide transportation as a community outreach/service.

Government should not be the first answer to every problem.

• Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Then I suggest they approach private charity for assistance.  Lots of church buses out there that could provide transportation as a community outreach/service.

Government should not be the first answer to every problem.

Not enough charity in the world, and a lot of it comes with strings attached.

6 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Not enough charity in the world, and a lot of it comes with strings attached.

There is more than you think there is, especially if the populace doesn't have to some much of it's wealth confiscated by government via taxation.  

As for "strings attached", please elaborate.

• Disdain 1