Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

FG kick as a punt

olinecoach

Question

7 answers to this question

1 minute ago, olinecoach said:

Am I correct in thinking that a missed FG is no different at the HS level than a punt? If it crosses the goal line its a touchback, if it does not it can be returned/downed like a punt?

Yes. It's been discussed here before. Most coaches won't do it because the coverage downfield isn't as good as a Punt Formation. 

• Like 1

I've always heard there are more things that can go wrong with a snap to a holder and placing it for a kick than snap to a punter. You also have a lower trajectory since the ball leaves the foot at a lower point and you are also closer to the line of scrimmage. Plus if you are doing this on a long FG your kicker will likely kick it lower.

I haven't had one yet, but I waiting for the short kick that roles dead at the B2 yard line and they are shocked when they bring their offense out thinking they get the ball at the 20 when it's the 2.

21 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I've always heard there are more things that can go wrong with a snap to a holder and placing it for a kick than snap to a punter. You also have a lower trajectory since the ball leaves the foot at a lower point and you are also closer to the line of scrimmage. Plus if you are doing this on a long FG your kicker will likely kick it lower.

I haven't had one yet, but I waiting for the short kick that roles dead at the B2 yard line and they are shocked when they bring their offense out thinking they get the ball at the 20 when it's the 2.

Been there done that, only it was about the 6" mark. Ball was dead, I don't think anyone knew what to do, BJ finally just blew it dead. It did turn into a great story though. Suffice to say by the time it was all over, the coach thought I was a walking rule book.

• Like 1

Saw a coach at a small school in Wisconsin talk about this at a clinic a few years ago. It came down to the fact that their place kicker was far better than anyone who could punt. It does look funny lining up on your own 20 to kick a FG. lol

• Haha 1