Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

Ok the first prediction of the big week!! 

NR 21 NW 20....Electric atmosphere wins over.... have at it.. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Fairfield02 said:

Enough said.

Sorry, I forgot that the Sagarin rating are the end all be all and fool proof.  I guess we should just cancel the rest of the season and give Northwood the NLC championship trophy since they are clearly the best team according to Sagarin. 

CONF. RANK STATE RANK TEAM OVERALL RATING SCHEDULE STRENGTH RANK RECENT RATING   RANK PREDICTOR RATING   RANK
 1   46   NorthWood   73.51   45.43   160   73.90   44   74.61   43 
 2   58   Northridge   69.18   51.79   114   69.60   60   68.15   62 
 3   72   Plymouth   66.32   50.78   125   64.98   76   65.11   74 
 4   73   Concord   66.28   47.96   141   67.31   67   66.39   68 
 5   152   Warsaw   47.35   55.09   91   48.49   146   48.87   147 
 6   181   Wawasee   41.74   59.89   67   41.45   181   42.08   181 
 7   187   Goshen   41.05   46.60   149   40.07   189   41.91   183 
 8   215   Elkhart Memorial   34.08   51.27   119   32.22   222   33.27   217
  • Downvote 1

I'll give my two cents, 24-20 NR in a very good game. It's gonna come down to who controls the trenches if we can run the ball like we want to I like our odds. I think we may need to hit some downfield passes to get guys out of the box a bit but Hooley is capable of that. Should be a great game. 

• Upvote 2

My week 6 predictions:

Elkhart Memorial @ Indianapolis Shortridge - winless Chargers should handle the unbeaten Blue Devils easily even with the long drive down Meridian/31 and the disparity in records.  Shortridge is a very young team and only has 2 seniors on it's roster.

Memorial by 27

Jimtown @ Concord - After a somewhat surprising win over a good Marian team last week, the Jimmies will be lucky to keep it close for a quarter against their neighboring township rivals.  The Minutemen's size/physicality should easily wear down Jimtown and I expect it to be all Concord in the 2nd half.

Concord by 27

Plymouth @ Wawasee - coach Eshbach is getting a good taste of NLC football after opening the season against 2 of his familiar NECC foes, as someone mentioned earlier when talking about Sectional 19, the NLC across the board is on a different level than that of the NECC.  I expect a similar score for the Warriors/Rockies from last weeks games in Syracuse/Elkhart.

Plymouth by 30

Warsaw @ Goshen - In my opinion this should be one of only two close games in the NLC this week.  With only 1 win thus far this season, I think Goshen is better than their record indicates.  Warsaw's 3 losses this year are all to good football teams.  Unfortunately for the Redhawks it sounds like their young QB was injured against Concord. I believe the Tigers win on the road this Friday in a close one.

Warsaw by 3

Northwood @ Northridge - 4A Game of the Week for Indiana in my opinion, (4A #1 Evansville Reitz plays 3A #4 Evansville Memorial).  I expect a very physical battle that will probably come down to field position and who can protect the ball better.  In order for Northridge to have a shot at winning, we have got to clean up our drive killing penalties, catch passes that should be caught, and can't leave points on the field like we have the last few weeks.  I think we can do it, but we will have to play our best game of the year to have a shot.

Northridge by 1

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NLC123 said:

Sorry, I forgot that the Sagarin rating are the end all be all and fool proof.  I guess we should just cancel the rest of the season and give Northwood the NLC championship trophy since they are clearly the best team according to Sagarin. 

CONF. RANK STATE RANK TEAM OVERALL RATING SCHEDULE STRENGTH RANK RECENT RATING   RANK PREDICTOR RATING   RANK
 1   46   NorthWood   73.51   45.43   160   73.90   44   74.61   43 
 2   58   Northridge   69.18   51.79   114   69.60   60   68.15   62 
 3   72   Plymouth   66.32   50.78   125   64.98   76   65.11   74 
 4   73   Concord   66.28   47.96   141   67.31   67   66.39   68 
 5   152   Warsaw   47.35   55.09   91   48.49   146   48.87   147 
 6   181   Wawasee   41.74   59.89   67   41.45   181   42.08   181 
 7   187   Goshen   41.05   46.60   149   40.07   189   41.91   183 
 8   215   Elkhart Memorial   34.08   51.27   119   32.22   222   33.27   217

It's cool if you want to be "that guy"...there's always one.  Anyone can see I was talking about strength of schedule and not out-right rankings...

Regardless of your nonsense, there is no question that Northridge has played a tougher schedule to this point. 

Last year, Northwood put up big points on EVERYONE in the regular season and most of the post season....except Northridge....Wood won 14-0 last year. Northwood scored 43.4 ppg in 2016...and Ridge held them to 14.  Coach W must have some insight on a way to stop the "shenanigans" of Coach A. 

I know this is a new year, but Northwood's offense is not as potent, and Northridge's defense is a little more stout.  Same coaches...I'm assuming the same schemes are there as well.  All "shenanigans" aside....I do think it might be close at first...but the Ridge ground game will be the difference.

Northridge 28  Northwood 14

Image may contain: one or more people, meme and text

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Fairfield02 said:

Last year, Northwood put up big points on EVERYONE in the regular season and most of the post season....except Northridge....Wood won 14-0 last year. Northwood scored 43.4 ppg in 2016...and Ridge held them to 14.  Coach W must have some insight on a way to stop the "shenanigans" of Coach A. 

I know this is a new year, but Northwood's offense is not as potent, and Northridge's defense is a little more stout.  Same coaches...I'm assuming the same schemes are there as well.  All "shenanigans" aside....I do think it might be close at first...but the Ridge ground game will be the difference.

Northridge 28  Northwood 14

Image may contain: one or more people, meme and text

I hope you're right, but don't forget they kicked our asses later on when we played them in Sectionals too.

Edited by NRRaider2001
  • Upvote 2

Great point....I did forget about that.   Hey...no biggy, you were just letting them feel better about themselves...and NW has done the same to FF EVERY year so far.

13 minutes ago, Fairfield02 said:

Great point....I did forget about that.   Hey...no biggy, you were just letting them feel better about themselves...and NW has done the same to FF EVERY year so far.

To be fair, much like you mentioned, we are a very different team than last year.  I have heard concerns from a friend that has a kid playing for NW that they aren't the team they were last year (last years team was special, similar drop off to NR 2014/2015 drop off from great to good maybe?)

Also both freshmen teams are undefeated, looking forward to watching that one too!

Edited by NRRaider2001
  • Upvote 1

copied part of my post from the NIC thread, any thoughts on after the Elkhart Merger?

Here's what I suggested for the fun of it:

"NLC is currently 8 schools, and we have to assume the new Elkhart High School will be NIC based on it's size, leaving the NLC at 7.

My ideal scenario would be adding New Prairie and Mishawaka or St. Joe) as well as East Noble.  Then divide the NLC into a North/South split much like the NIC is now.  East Noble, Warsaw, Wawasee, Northwood, and Plymouth being in the South and Northridge, Concord, New Prairie, Goshen, and Mishawaka/St. Joe being the North division."

Or an East/West with East being EN, Warsaw, Wawasee, Northridge, Goshen with West being Concord, New Prairie, Northwood, Plymouth, Mishawaka/St. Joe?

Edited by NRRaider2001

17 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

copied part of my post from the NIC thread, any thoughts on after the Elkhart Merger?

"NLC is currently 8 schools, and we have to assume the new Elkhart High School will be NIC based on it's size, leaving the NLC at 7.

My ideal scenario would be adding New Prairie and Mishawaka or St. Joe) as well as East Noble.  Then divide the NLC into a North/South split much like the NIC is now.  East Noble, Warsaw, Wawasee, Northwood, and Plymouth being in the South and Northridge, Concord, New Prairie, Goshen, and Mishawaka/St. Joe being the North division."

Or an East/West with East being EN, Warsaw, Wawasee, Northridge, Goshen with West being Concord, New Prairie, Northwood, Plymouth, Mishawaka/St. Joe?

No

45 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

No

• Upvote 1

well I see our K-County friends are full of insight this morning lol, but seriously, you guys just want us to drop down to 7 after Memorial leaves?  

I could get behind that idea, if we were to diversify our schedule a little bit and add another competitive team to the NC games, but I guess I don't get the resistance to a little change and addition of some quality schools to the conference.

Also NLC continuing to look good in the most recent IFCA Poll:

5A - Concord 6th

4A - Northwood 5th, Northridge 6th, Plymouth 9th

and Deandre Smart (Northwood) is currently 3rd in the state for Punt Return average

1 hour ago, NRRaider2001 said:

East Noble or Mishawaka would be a good fit in terms of size, etc.  No reason to split the conference though.  8 team conference is the ideal size for football, IMHO.

34 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

well I see our K-County friends are full of insight this morning lol, but seriously, you guys just want us to drop down to 7 after Memorial leaves?  

Yep, we in K co are wet blankets. Seven is not ideal, but it is better than 9, 10, 11 certainly. It is better than traveling to New Prairie on a snowy Tuesday January evening for a girls basketball game. What makes more sense is discussing who the NLC should be targeting for inclusion as their eighth team. The NLC needs to actively pursue those teams. My top three are Mishawaka, East Noble, and Columbia City. Already disqualified are those schools who do not participate in all the NLC sponsored sports.

• Upvote 2

Geographically, doesn't Mishawaka make the most sense?  (However, I don't see them wanting to travel so far for games, when most of who they play is not that long of a drive right now).

Here you go...maybe this will help you pass the time: (From Jokes4us.com)

Q: What do you call a 350 pound Packer fan?
A: An anorexic!

Q: Why can't Matt Forte get into his own driveway?
A: Someone painted an endzone on it

Q: What do the Indianapolis Colts and possums have in common?
A: Both play dead at home and get killed on the road!

Q: What do you call 53 millionaires around a TV watching the Super Bowl?
A: The Cleveland Browns.

Q: How do you stop an Atlanta Falcons fan from beating his wife?
A: Dress her in a Patriots Jersey!

Q: What does a football player do when he loses his eyesight?
A: Become a referee. (Sorry Yuccaguy and Bobref)

Q: What does a Carolina Panthers fan do when his team has won the Super Bowl?
A: He turns off the PlayStation 3.

Q: Did you hear that the New York Giants football team doesn't have a website?
A: They can't string three "Ws" together.

Q: Where do you go in Chicago in case of a tornado?
A: Soldier Field they never get a touchdown there!

Q: Why doesn't Toledo have a professional football team?
A: Because then Cleveland would want one.

Edited by Fairfield02
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Houndstooth_Hat said:

Seven is not ideal, but it is better than 9, 10, 11 certainly.

This....

For all of us track coaches out there....most tracks only have 8 or 9 lanes.   The conference meets take a lot longer when there are 3 heats of every laned race....have mercy on us ;-) 

Edited by US 31
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Houndstooth_Hat said:

Yep, we in K co are wet blankets. Seven is not ideal, but it is better than 9, 10, 11 certainly. It is better than traveling to New Prairie on a snowy Tuesday January evening for a girls basketball game. What makes more sense is discussing who the NLC should be targeting for inclusion as their eighth team. The NLC needs to actively pursue those teams. My top three are Mishawaka, East Noble, and Columbia City. Already disqualified are those schools who do not participate in all the NLC sponsored sports.

I really like the idea of Mishawaka, but dislike the ideas of East Noble (longest drive: 90 minutes(!) to Plymouth) and CC (longest drive: about an hour to both Plymouth and Concord).  I also wouldn't mind adding Jimtown.  I know, I know, they don't have all the necessary sports, but I think it'd be easier to pull Jimtown away from the NIC than Mishawaka, who has both their rivalry with Penn and, as previously mentioned, a much more geographically compact conference slate.  If I've calculated right, Mishawaka's shortest drive in the NLC would be 20 minutes (to Concord).

Just as a theoretical exercise, if the new Elkhart HS would, for some reason, want to join the NLC instead of the NIC, should the NLC take them?

5 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

you guys just want us to drop down to 7 after Memorial leaves?  

I could get behind that idea, if we were to diversify our schedule a little bit and add another competitive team to the NC games, but I guess I don't get the resistance to a little change and addition of some quality schools to the conference.

4 hours ago, US 31 said:

East Noble or Mishawaka would be a good fit in terms of size, etc.  No reason to split the conference though.  8 team conference is the ideal size for football, IMHO.

4 hours ago, Houndstooth_Hat said:

Seven is not ideal, but it is better than 9, 10, 11 certainly... What makes more sense is discussing who the NLC should be targeting for inclusion as their eighth team.

The NLC was at 7 schools for 12 years from 1989-2001 after Bremen left and Memorial joined and did just fine. I would be all for adding an 8th member that made sense competitively (in a conference full of 4A/5A/6A football schools, wouldn't really want anything less than those classifications), offered all sports that current NLC members do, and made sense geographically, not necessarily in that order.  My top 3 in each category:

Geographic: Bremen, Jimtown, Mishawaka

Offer all sports: Mishawaka, East Noble, New Prairie (I believe Bremen offers everything besides gymnastics?)

Competitiveness (across ALL sports): East Noble, Mishawaka, Columbia City

Personally, I would be fine with East Noble or Mishawaka joining (especially with East Noble fitting the "Lakes" part more lol) but would also be just fine staying at 7 (and moving to a home and home basketball conference schedule). I hate the idea of getting larger than 8 members and splitting the conference into divisions.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Upvote 1

Other than football Mishawaka is competitive in very few of the other sports.  Maybe they are in cross country and baseball.  Volleyball and wrestling are not what they used to be.

Personally don't see what would be wrong with the new Elkhart high school being in NLC. Would it be bigger then every other school? Yes but that's penn in the NIC. And I feel our schools as a whole could compete with a larger school better than those penn has been facing all these years.

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting if games get moved back a bit Friday with heat indexs in mid to high 90's. Both NW and NR have an incredibly high number of kids going both ways. Heat could and likey be a major factor. Good luck to both 

• Upvote 2

The only 3 real options if you want to keep 8 teams is lobbying hard for the new Elkhart to be in the NLC. It has its perks like multiple teams in Elkhart county and good competition; honestly i think year to year regardless of size the NLC is far superior to the NIC. Jimtown, could come play with the big boys and again get much better competition year in and year out, as well as fight with two competitive rivals for a conference championship. The least likely I think is Mishawaka but they fit the bill for size and competitiveness. We should not throw out the real possibility that 7 teams would be fine and allow our schools to go explore other parts of the state outside of tourney time. Plenty of good teams in the region and Ft. Wayne areas that rarely get to play an NLC team; or even dare I suggest going into another state like oh say Michigan... its right there.

• Upvote 2