Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

8 hours ago, Nutterbutterbarz said:

The only 3 real options if you want to keep 8 teams is lobbying hard for the new Elkhart to be in the NLC. It has its perks like multiple teams in Elkhart county and good competition; honestly i think year to year regardless of size the NLC is far superior to the NIC. Jimtown, could come play with the big boys and again get much better competition year in and year out, as well as fight with two competitive rivals for a conference championship. The least likely I think is Mishawaka but they fit the bill for size and competitiveness. We should not throw out the real possibility that 7 teams would be fine and allow our schools to go explore other parts of the state outside of tourney time. Plenty of good teams in the region and Ft. Wayne areas that rarely get to play an NLC team; or even dare I suggest going into another state like oh say Michigan... its right there.

I've been advocating for the NLC to play a game or two a year in Michigan.

I see it more and more with other schools like Penn, Elkhart Central, Fairfield, etc...I'd like to see Northridge go 45 minutes North on SR13/US131(closer than Plymouth or Warsaw to Middlebury) to Portage Central for a home/home series.  Teams are similar in size/skill, and close in proximity.  

Three Rivers, Edwardsburg, Niles, K-zoo Loy Norrix would be some other NLC options.  I also wouldn't mind seeing the Eddies join the NLC.

When the NSC broke up, I advocated for a conference that would include the Eddies.  Don't know if a split state conference would work between Indiana and Michigan, I don't think all the sports season align.

16 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Biggest game in N IN this week.  Looking forward to how it plays out.  I've seen both teams once.  The match-up to watch is NR's OL vs, NW's DL.  I think the Raiders will have a very difficult time blocking NW, but who knows.  NW's skill players definitely have an advantage.  Hooley is a competitor though and helps make up for that discrepancy. All that said, my gut tells me NW tacks one on late and ends up winning by a couple scores.         

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scarletknights said:

Biggest game in N IN this week.  Looking forward to how it plays out.  I've seen both teams once.  The match-up to watch is NR's OL vs, NW's DL.  I think the Raiders will have a very difficult time blocking NW, but who knows.  NW's skill players definitely have an advantage.  Hooley is a competitor though and helps make up for that discrepancy. All that said, my gut tells me NW tacks one on late and ends up winning by a couple scores.         

I think both offenses will struggle initially, these defenses are both very stout. The lower the total score the better for NR chances imo. 

8 minutes ago, GridironGuy said:

I think both offenses will struggle initially, these defenses are both very stout. The lower the total score the better for NR chances imo. 

You're probably right about the score.  NR was very good against the run when I saw them, but I'm concerned about them matching up on the outside.  They did not appear to be an overly fast defense. 

If NR can control the ball some (i.e how Goshen did against NW) they have a shot. I just think they are going to struggle to block the NW front.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I apologize this week and next week will be short on posting and responding, but glad to see the thread is alive and full of posters, comments and responses.  I went 4-0 last week in a rather easy week to predict and now sit 21-6 on the year for NLC games.  A shameless plug, yours truly is currently sitting atop the the Michiana Pick'Em overall standings through Week 5... we'll see how long that lasts LOL.  Here's this week's predictions:

Elkhart Memorial (0-5, 0-4) @ Indianaplis Shortridge (4-0): Shortridge consistently beats up on the "Little Sister's of the Poor" teams (their opponents are 2-13 this season).  While Memorial is winless, they have the benefit of being a 5A team playing in one of the best conferences in the state.  The Chargers have outscored the Blue Devils 119-0 in this series over the last two years.  While it will be a LONG bus ride down to Indianapolis, and the Memorial offense has struggled to score points, I believe and am rooting for them to get their first win of the season... ELKHART MEMORIAL by 21

Jimtown (3-2) @ #6 (5A) Concord (5-0, 4-0): Fun piece of information about this matchup: Jimtown has won the last 2 and 5 of the last 6 contest against Concord.  However, I don't see the Jimmies continuing their streak and believe Coach Koehler picks up his first victory in the rivalry.  Jimtown is up and down this year.  They are 3-0 in NIC games, including last week's impressive 7-0 victory over Mishawaka Marian, a team that had been averaging about 27 points in their first 4 games, yet got shut out by NorthWood 31-0 week 1 and lost to an impressive Angola squad 31-14. If the Minutemen overlook their rivals from Baugo Township in anticipation for their Plymouth and Northirdge matchups, the Jimmies could surprise.  You never know in a rivalry game... CONCORD by 16

#5 (4A) NorthWood (4-1, 2-1) @ #6 (4A) Northridge (5-0, 3-0): Game of the week in the conference (possibly of the year) and definitely one of the best matchups in the state this week. It's honestly pretty amazing how similar yet different these teams are.  NorthWood averages 27.2 points on offense and 5.0 points on defense. Northridge averages 25.2 points on offense and 8.4 points on defense.  The only shared opponent is Wawasee.  NorthWood won that game 32-0 last week and Northridge won 37-12 in week 3.  The Panthers lost their first "big" game of the season at Concord, while Northridge won their first "big" game of the season at Plymouth. The Panthers have lost their last two times in Middlebury.  The biggest matchup in this game will be NorthWood's offense against Northridge's defense.  If NorthWood scores at least 21 points, they will win the game. I'm not not a believer in the Raiders, I just feel like the Panthers are a better team, even with their loss to Concord... NORTHWOOD by 7

#8 (4A) Plymouth (4-1, 2-1) @ Wawasee (1-4, 0-3): Snoozefest of the week, the Rockies get another warmup before welcoming Concord to the Rock Pile in Week 7. Coach Eshbach has the potential to make the Warriors competitive again in the NLC, but it will take a few years. At least they've got that nice looking turf field in Syracuse.  Also, neat that they will be dedicating a new memorial for Brett Traviola and Chris Jordan, two Warrior teammates who were tragically lost in separate automobile accidents in 1987.  With the turf renovation this summer, the old bush and plaque that served as a memorial and tribute had to be removed.  Members of the 1986 team have been invited back to attend the game for the unveiling of the new memorial... PLYMOUTH by 24

Warsaw (2-3, 1-2) @ Goshen ( 1-4, 1-2): Snoozefest of the week version 2.0, but it could also be GOTW in the conference as well, but not necessarily in the exciting manner NorthWood vs. Northridge will be.  Both teams need a win in the worst way, and both have few possibilities left on their schedules following this week.  Both teams are also members of the walking wounded club.  The Tigers will be without top running back Will McGarvey and top receiver Trevor York, while Redhawk QB Wesley VanHooser was injured last week early in the loss to Concord.  Neither team has scored that much this season, while neither has been all that impressive defensively either.  Something has to give this week for one of the two teams. My bet is the first to score 21 (if that's possible) will win the game.  Shocking to me, Warsaw has won 9 straight in this matchup (never would have imagined that back in the 80s and 90s). This feels like a game where the Tigers SHOULD win, but won't... GOSHEN by 4

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Upvote 2

as always, enjoy reading your predictions.

In other NLC related news, former Concord player/2016 2nd Round pick to the Packers Jason Spriggs was just placed on IR.

Edited by NRRaider2001

Is Warsaw still looking to make a move to The SAC, as was discussed in prior threads?  Who fills the open slot when Memorial closes?  Will the NLC raid the NIC to fill these two open slots?  If so, who are the top candidates to get the spots?  

How about Marian and St Joe?

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Is Warsaw still looking to make a move to The SAC, as was discussed in prior threads?

This is a complete farce. Fake news. There has never, ever been legitimate discussions about this from anyone I know in a significant role in the Warsaw Community Schools system.  So the answer is NO, even though they never were looking to make such a move.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, scarletknights said:

IMO the only game bigger statewide would be the Evansville Reitz vs Evansville Memorial tonight....it's gonna be a hot one up here, I can only imagine down there.  It always seemed to be about 10º hotter when I lived in Vincennes than it was up here at home.  

I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances tonight, but you're right about NW and their skill players.  I believe Hooley has the arm to play on Saturdays, and his injury 2 years ago really put a damper on what could've been an incredible high school career.  He still has a little bit of pain, even with the screws removed from his foot, and all year his receivers haven't helped him out consistently by making catches they need to make, or when they do, there often seems to be a flag on us.

I found out on Tuesday that I have shingles (face/eye area), going to try and make it out to Middlebury tonight to catch the game, just hoping the heat doesn't make matters worse.

I believe NR  ground attack will wear down NW , the Raiders need long drives to keep the D fresh , Raiders by 14 ,  of course I could be wrong 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, footballfan2 said:

I believe NR  ground attack will wear down NW , the Raiders need long drives to keep the D fresh , Raiders by 14 ,  of course I could be wrong 

Do these two have a lot of guys going both ways? Linemen? That could play a definite factor tonight.

1 hour ago, coach_funk said:

Do these two have a lot of guys going both ways? Linemen? That could play a definite factor tonight.

Yes they do and you are 100 % correct , especially in the heat 

On 9/19/2017 at 11:04 PM, Nutterbutterbarz said:

The only 3 real options if you want to keep 8 teams is lobbying hard for the new Elkhart to be in the NLC. It has its perks like multiple teams in Elkhart county and good competition; honestly i think year to year regardless of size the NLC is far superior to the NIC. Jimtown, could come play with the big boys and again get much better competition year in and year out, as well as fight with two competitive rivals for a conference championship. The least likely I think is Mishawaka but they fit the bill for size and competitiveness. We should not throw out the real possibility that 7 teams would be fine and allow our schools to go explore other parts of the state outside of tourney time. Plenty of good teams in the region and Ft. Wayne areas that rarely get to play an NLC team; or even dare I suggest going into another state like oh say Michigan... its right there.

Based strictly on this years present Sagarin Ratins I think it's hard to say the NLC has better competition.

Just based on Sagarin they look very even to me.

Sagarin Ratings:

18.  Penn

37.  New Prairie

46.  NorthWood 

58.  Northridge

65.  Mishawaka

72.  Plymouth 

73.  Concord

101.  Marian

123.  Jimtown

125.  Saint Joseph

135.  Riley

137.  Adams

152.  Warsaw

159.  Washington

172.  Bremen

181.  Wawasee

187.  Goshen

203.  Glenn

204.  Central

205.  Memorial

275.  Clay

Slick Hair Power Rankings Week 5:

1. Northridge- Don't have time to argue today

2. Plymouth- Only loss to #1, of course.

3. Concord- Outright conference leader for one more week in Northridge's opinion.  

4. NorthWood- Big chance to make the last 3 weeks of the conference season extremely interesting

Tie 5th. Goshen- I'll let you know next week

Tie 5th. Warsaw- See above.  Probably the most disappointing team of the conference this season so far. 

7. Memorial- Out right last place in the conference for one more week.  

8. Wawasee- .....searching for silver linings.....

Edited by SlickHair
accidental post click.

26 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Not sure if there was any sanctions handed out, but heard a few members of the Northwood football team left at least one of their teammates (drunk) in Ft. Wayne after a night out partying last weekend.

Either way, looking forward to a great game in Middlebury tonight.  It's almost here!

This seems to be a legit rumor to start about high school kids....So now if we see any NorthWood kid not in pads tonight, we get to assume that he was drunk in Fort Wayne last weekend?  You've got to be better than this....

• Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, SlickHair said:

This seems to be a legit rumor to start about high school kids....So now if we see any NorthWood kid not in pads tonight, we get to assume that he was drunk in Fort Wayne last weekend?  You've got to be better than this....

good point, I'll delete it so no one get's falsley judged

32 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

good point, I'll delete it so no one get's falsley judged

PC police lol I wouldn't worry about it 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, yellowjacket said:

Based strictly on this years present Sagarin Ratins I think it's hard to say the NLC has better competition.

Just based on Sagarin they look very even to me.

Sagarin Ratings:

18.  Penn

37.  New Prairie

46.  NorthWood 

58.  Northridge

65.  Mishawaka

72.  Plymouth 

73.  Concord

101.  Marian

123.  Jimtown

125.  Saint Joseph

135.  Riley

137.  Adams

152.  Warsaw

159.  Washington

172.  Bremen

181.  Wawasee

187.  Goshen

203.  Glenn

204.  Central

205.  Memorial

275.  Clay

this year i said year in and year out

4 minutes ago, Nutterbutterbarz said:

this year i said year in and year out

I actually think this year the NIC is down, and it still appears better than the NLC this year. But it is apple to oranges because in reality for football the NIC really is 2 conferences.

1 hour ago, MarshallCounty said:

I actually think this year the NIC is down, and it still appears better than the NLC this year. But it is apple to oranges because in reality for football the NIC really is 2 conferences.

not at all, outside of Penn the NLC year in and year out would beat the NIC in a tournament no question. 

46 minutes ago, Nutterbutterbarz said:

not at all, outside of Penn the NLC year in and year out would beat the NIC in a tournament no question. 

Wanna count state titles?