Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

On 8/19/2017 at 0:11 AM, skyrat said:

Jimmies are lacking more than numbers and talent this year. 13 yards rushing? I want to puke. If Northwood doesn't fumble a million times they could have picked their score. Fundamentally unsound. Can't remember the shot put technique being taught to a qb. Throwing off back foot, into double or triple coverage. 230 pound running back gets a few carries? If you aren't going to use him put him in the line and replace one of the 150 pound kids. No one stayed in defensive assignments, or sustained a block. I know NW is loaded and give them mad props. Panthers didn't play well and still rang up a whooping. It was embarrassing. I don't mind losing if we represent ourselves well, but -12 yards of total offense in a quarter? It was a nice junior varsity scrimmage. I stand by what I said earlier that the Jimmies may only win 1-2 conference games. And it wouldn't surprise me to much to see a 0-9. If the panthers clean up the center exchange issues I only see Concord being able to run with them until tournament time

If you are just going to bad mouth your team like that, then never go to another Jimtown football game again. We don't need or want your negativity.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jimtownjimmiesfan said:

If you are just going to bad mouth your team like that, then never go to another Jimtown football game again. We don't need or want your negativity.

Skyrat has been a longtime advocate on here for the Jimmies.  He is not happy with what he is seeing.  I trust his opinion and don't really see it as bad mouthing.  More or less it is constructive criticism.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

NorthWood is by far the leader in the NLC again this season, only Concord may give them a challenge.  I think Warsaw and Plymouth can for about a half.

Goshen and Memorial look to be at the bottom of the conference, Northridge and Wawasee in the middle.

I know they play the games for a reason, but you can also take a lot from the first game of the season, too.  Good luck, all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, bobref said:

Wow, Jimtown folks may be spoiled by success. A team that young, and the first week of the season?  They had one delay penalty, one occasion when they had to call a timeout due to confusion, and one play (a punt) when they had only 10 players on the field during the play. Certainly not outrageous for the first game of the season by any reasonable standard.

Bobref, without a doubt we HAVE been spoiled by our success on the field. No argument. The delay penalty if I recall wasn't due to the players. The play wasn't sent in until there were only a handful of seconds left on the play clock. Having to burn a timeout right after the end of a quarter is something we have seen all to many times as well. The team played hard right up until the end and that is all anyone can ask. HSFootballfan101 has it right when he said that the defense was on the field far to long. Still, giving up 370 yards rushing while not being able to establish any sort of running game (.5 yds per carry) is not Jimtown football. Jimtownjimmiesfan ripped me a little in another post and I suppose he is entitled to his opinion. I criticize what I see as a negative, I mix in my emotions as a former player, and sometimes it doesn't always come out gracefully. I get it. I've been involved with the program as either player , volunteer coach on frosh team, scout, or fan since 1982. There are issues other than the talent on the field. First in my mind is where are all of the players? Even when we were a 1A school with half of the current enrollment we easily had 20-30 more kids on the roster. MaxPreps lists the roster at 40 with 6 seniors. The flyer at the game says 60 with 14. The last several years have been down. I don't know if it is because of joining the NIC and not being able to snowplow thru weaker competition or if something else is going on. I hear rumors but this is not the place for that discussion. I think we will be better in week two. I am just not sure that we are going to be very successful going thru the conference this year. Teams have improved since last year, and we are going to experience some serious growing pains. Washington will be a difficult game. They have to be hungry as they haven't beaten us yet and this could be their year. I know nothing about Angola except that they won and people are saying positive things about them. Its a long season. We will just have to see how it unfolds.

3 hours ago, jimtownjimmiesfan said:

ok. Puke comment may have been over the top. Still, I tend to call it like I see it and the stats don't lie. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, King in the North said:

NorthWood is by far the leader in the NLC again this season, only Concord may give them a challenge.  I think Warsaw and Plymouth can for about a half.

Goshen and Memorial look to be at the bottom of the conference, Northridge and Wawasee in the middle.

I know they play the games for a reason, but you can also take a lot from the first game of the season, too.  Good luck, all.

Hilarious, NW beat the Jimmies, Who we all agree is likely down, Plymouth beat a very good East Noble team with a legit Qb and Concord struggled against a St Joe team who most believe is still a year away. Wait, we beat a really bad CC team. I am glad you can tell allot from those four games! 

• Upvote 2

I would add the NR win may end up being a very nice win as well. They can compete as well...

• Upvote 1

Memorial lost by one...and I hear Elkhart Central is much improved.  I think maybe Wawasee is more at the bottom than Memorial if you are basing this on just one week of games. 

Week 1 was good for the NLC...6-2 vs. non-conference foes

Three NLC teams (NW, Concord and Plymouth) ranked in this week's IFCA poll.

Northridge-St. Joe is 46 Game of the Week Friday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, backerfan said:

I would add the NR win may end up being a very nice win as well. They can compete as well...

Interested to see how nice of a win it turns out to be, not sure how Adams was viewed heading into the year. Curious as to how good saint jo is... if we get them this Friday I like the odds of us having a successful season

2 hours ago, GridironGuy said:

Interested to see how nice of a win it turns out to be, not sure how Adams was viewed heading into the year. Curious as to how good saint jo is... if we get them this Friday I like the odds of us having a successful season

Adams is very young.  Graduated 30+ seniors last year.  They will take their lumps but will always be explosive.  I have a feeling they will get better as the year goes on.

Good showing (for the most part) by the NLC last week.  A few thoughts and predictions for this week.  

Good (expected) wins for Warsaw, Wawasee, Northwood, and Concord.  The Concord game was closer than I expected. 

Northridge with a very nice win at Adams.  Sounds like Hooley is back and playing both ways.  

Plymouth with a very nice win against East Noble.  East Noble has some folks.  

I watched the Memorial/Central game on TV.  I thought Memorial outplayed the Blazers but just couldn't get it done. 

The game I was most surprised by was Goshen getting BLANKED by Fairfield.  This wouldn't have been so surprising several years ago when Fairfield was good and Goshen was awful.  However, I thought Coach Park had things going in the right direction.  Fairfield was 1-9 last year.  This could be a VERY long year for the Redskins.  Coach Park may be going full circle in his fourth season.  

This week's matchups
Northwood vs. Fairfield - I expect an easy win for the Panthers.  Should be able to rest the starters in the second half and get ready for Concord next week.

Concord vs. Memorial - The conference season kicks off for these two.  Concord comes off a one point win while Memorial comes off a one point loss.  I expect Concord to win by 20ish.

Northridge vs. SB St. Joe - I think this should be a good game.  I believe St. Joe is much improved (or Concord is worse than expected).  I will give the edge to the Raiders at home.

Goshen vs. Elk Central - If Goshen can't get it done this week, I'm not sure when they will get a win.  Maybe Wawasee in week 9 or possibly Memorial.  Central by 10.

Warsaw at East Noble - I think this should be a good game as well.  I was a little surprised Plymouth beat East Noble (because I thought EN was going to be very good this year).  I am intrigued to hear how this one plays out.  I will take EN at home.

Plymouth vs Hammond Morton - I expect Plymouth to get the win, but honestly, I know next to nothing about Hammond Morton.

Wawasee vs West Noble - Wawasee by 3 or 4 TDs.  We will find out if Wawasee can compete next week when they start their NLC schedule.  

• Upvote 2

Sorry for waiting until Thursday to post this, but it's been a long week at work and I haven't had much time to put all my thoughts together.  Great wins by Concord, Northridge and Plymouth last week and expected wins from NorthWood, Warsaw and Wawasee.  The Goshen loss was a big surprise IMO.  I know the Redhawks lost quite a few seniors from last year's team, but to get blanked by a Fairfield team (while traditionally a competitive squad) fresh off a 1-9 season... yikes!  If there is such thing as a "good" loss, Memorial had that last week in the sense that they were competitive and fought hard with Central (even though my expectations are still low for both the Elkhart schools this year).  Anyway, a less the impressive 5-3 record for me last week. Let's see if Week 2 can be an improvement: *side note, any rankings I include are from the IFCA Coaches' Poll because I can't take the AP Media Poll seriously seeing both Warsaw AND FORT WAYNE NORTHROP receiving votes in Class 6A

Elkhart Memorial (0-1) @ #7 (5A) Concord (1-0): The first Northern Lakes Conference action of the season, and both these teams coming off 1-point games. Concord was impressive in their ability to come from behind for victory against a much improved SBSJ. Sophomore QB Ethan Cain had obvious jitters in his first varsity start, but the Minutemen offense began to click with last year's QB Jack Lietzan move to running back and the defense stepped up in the second half. Memorial twice let leads slip away from them last week against Central, and were decently impressive running the ball. However, Concord is a major step up in competition than the Blue Blazers, and with this game in Dunlap (plus a 15 game winning streak in the series) there is absolutely no way I expect the Crimson Chargers to hang close for more than a quarter... CONCORD by 21

Elkhart Central (1-0) @ Goshen (0-1): To me, this is the most interesting game to me in the NLC this week (not necessarily best, that goes to SBSJ at Northridge).  The Redhawks completely surprised most of us here on the NLC thread with a stunning shutout loss to 3A Fairfield.  The Falcons completely dominated the line of scrimmage for most of the night, and Goshen's offense couldn't put together many drives whatsoever. Goshen finished with only 3 yards passing and 131 total yards on offense. Central's offense moved the ball to the tune of 373 yards against Memorial last week. My head is telling me to pick the Redhawks at home, but I have this gut feeling it might be a long year in Goshen... ELKHART CENTRAL by 8

Hammond Morton (1-0) @ #10 (4A) Plymouth (1-0): I hate to say it, but the Rockies definitely had the most impressive victory of the young season, and look like they could be a legitimate contender and challenge NorthWood for the NLC title this year. This is a bit of a struggle for me seeing as I know next to nothing about Hammond Morton.  What I do know: the Governors are coming off their first losing season in 11 years since 2004, they tend to struggle against better competition (specifically Lowell, who I consider to be a very similar overall program to Plymouth) while beating up on lesser opponents in "The Region". With Plymouth at home for the second week in a row and Hammond Morton on the road for the second week in a row, I have faith the Rockies will continue to show why they deserve to be considered front-runners for the NLC... PLYMOUTH by 14

South Bend St. Joseph (0-1) @ Northridge (1-0): In what should be the best game of the week, the Indians visit the Raiders for the first matchup in the series since 1995. SBSJ let Concord come back and take the lead before having two chances late to steal a victory while Northridge impressed with a win at much "hyped" SB Adams in Week 1. While the Indians are only 2-9 under 2nd year coach Bryon Whitten, I expect them to be much improved this season (as their showing against Concord proved). I'm still not 100% sold on Northridge being a contender this season in the NLC, but with a win this week, that could change. The Raiders gave up quite a few yards through the air, but did a good job themselves in pounding the rock on offense, and SBSJ allowed Concord to do just that against them in the 2nd half when they gave up their lead. Another close loss for the Indians... NORTHRIDGE by 6

Fairfield (1-0) @ #1 (4A) NorthWood (1-0): While Fairfield did a great job in surprising with a shutout win over Goshen last week, the Panthers went about business as usual in dominating rival Jimtown with a shutout victory of their own.  Someone's defense will have their first points scored on them this season, and it won't be the Black Crunch.  The Falcons did a good job of running against Goshen, but the Redhawks defense will be nowhere near what they'll see from the Panthers.  NorthWood held Jimtown to just 124 yards of total offense, including -7 yards rushing in the first half (25 total yards for the game). The Panthers racked up 406 yards of offense themselves, and while the Jimmies might be down, I believe they are a much better squad than Fairfield. NorthWood has outscored Fairfield 155-13 over the last 3 seasons, and I expect more of the same in this episode of the series... NORTHWOOD by 42

Warsaw (1-0) @ East Noble (0-1): The Tigers did a solid job in debuting their new spread rushing attack and still need to work out the kinks, but man oh man could you see the possibilities and potential their speed showed against Columbia City.  Their success will be defined by how well Larsh settles into his role at QB and how well the coaching staff continues to add various wrinkles to keep defenses honest and unbalanced.  Columbia City did end up with 274 yards on offense, but gained almost 200 of those on just 4 separate plays throughout the night. Unfortunately, one area where the Tigers looked extremely vulnerable was in the secondary on defense (WR Ethan Christen hauled in all 4 completions for 75 yards and consistently burned the corners covering him), which does not bode well for this week. Knights QB Andrew McCormick lit up the Tigers for 452 yards and 6 touchdowns last year, but he'll be missing his main target from last year Dylan Hunley (who had 14 receptions for 326 yards and 4 touchdowns last year).  Still, after a close lose to Plymouth last week, and owning a 3-1 record (2-0 in Kendallville) against Warsaw, I'll have to take the Knights... EAST NOBLE by 17

Wawasee (1-0) @ West Noble (1-0): The Warriors did a fantastic job in lighting up the scoreboard in their first game on their new turf under new head coach Mike Eschbach against Lakeland last week, and Wawasee gets another chance to tune up their offense and defense before the NLC season opens up for them at Northridge in Week 3. The Warriors have owned their neighbors 10 miles to the east, outscoring the Chargers 133-25 over the last 3 years.  With no offense to either team, there's just not much to write about this unexciting matchup. Playing Lakeland and West Noble back to back weeks to open the season doesn't exactly prove much in the sense how the Warriors will fair in the NLC this year, but it certainly provides them two game play experiences to get settled into a new coaching style and game plan strategy... WAWASEE by 28

For future reference: Concord by 21, Elkhart Central by 8, Plymouth by 14, Northridge by 6, NorthWood by 42, East Noble by 17, Wawasee by 28

Best of luck to all NLC teams this week! Here's hoping to Goshen and Warsaw proving me wrong and seeing the conference go undefeated in non-conference matchups this week. Should be an EXCELLENT Friday night weather wise. Gotta love football season!

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
serious grammatical errors... embarrassing lol
  • Upvote 1

My picks:

Concord easily over Memorial

Central easily over Goshen

Plymouth easily over Hammond Morton

Northridge close over St. Joseph (I could see this going either way)

Northwood easily over Fairfield

Warsaw close over East Noble

Wawasee close over West Noble

• Upvote 1

Slickhair here- I didn't want to jump in too soon with opinions on teams, but I just can't help myself.  Big talking points are obviously the wins by Plymouth and Northridge and the loss by Goshen.  It will be an interesting guage to see what Northridge does with St. Joe in comparison to Concord.  On the opposite side of the success spectrum, Goshen will also get a decent guage as to their potential success vs. Central in comparison to Memorial.  Enjoy the Autumn weather tonight!

2nd week of the season - way too soon to make viable predictions based on anything but hyperbole (which SF usually has plenty of).  Really looking forward to seeing the box scores tonight before real conference play gets underway next week.

BTW - Sagarin has Northwood ranked 14th in the entire State if you want to believe in hyperbole.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

2nd week of the season - way too soon to make viable predictions based on anything but hyperbole (which SF usually has plenty of).  Really looking forward to seeing the box scores tonight before real conference play gets underway next week.

BTW - Sagarin has Northwood ranked 14th in the entire State if you want to believe in hyperbole.

Love it when @Swordfish climbs from the depths to make an appearance or two on the NLC thread!  Hopefully you'll be around more often than not :)

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

NorthWood held Jimtown to just 124 yards of total offense, including -7 yards rushing in the first half (25 total yards for the game). The Panthers racked up 406 yards of offense themselves, and while the Jimmies might be down, I believe they are a much better squad than Fairfield. NorthWood has outscored Fairfield 155-13 over the last 3 seasons, and I expect more of the same in this episode of the series... NORTHWOOD by 42

43 minutes ago, SlickHair said:

Slickhair here- I didn't want to jump in too soon with opinions on teams, but I just can't help myself.  Big talking points are obviously the wins by Plymouth and Northridge and the loss by Goshen.  It will be an interesting guage to see what Northridge does with St. Joe in comparison to Concord.  On the opposite side of the success spectrum, Goshen will also get a decent guage as to their potential success vs. Central in comparison to Memorial.  Enjoy the Autumn weather tonight!

I think tonight is a gauge for Fairfield as well. (With Jimtown being in our sectional and such).  The stat that really sticks out to me is the 155-13 over the last three years. (Stated by NLTigerFan07).  A lot can change from week to week too....so who knows at this point.  For example:  I am sure Northwood will get even beter when/if Yoder returns from his injury.

44 minutes ago, GridironGuy said:

Excited for tonight's game should be a telling point for the season 

I second that, very exciting night in Middlebury coming up.  Perfect weather, debut our new green uniforms under the lights, Channel 46 game of the week, Broadcastsport.net will also be broadcasting, Senior Night/Blackout.  Hopefully we can put 4 quarters together tonight rather than 2 like last Friday night!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Swordfish said:

Image result for hyperbole

22 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

My picks:

Wawasee close over West Noble

Apparently the new Wawasee coach told his kids to go out and hang 70 on West Noble. Your prediction may go by the wayside - we will see.

31 minutes ago, Houndstooth_Hat said:

Apparently the new Wawasee coach told his kids to go out and hang 70 on West Noble. Your prediction may go by the wayside - we will see.

I don't know much about WN, but I'll be surprised if Wawasee can hang 70 on anyone.  Next week should be a bit better of a matchup to see how good they are I'm guessing.

Goshen looks night-and-day better tonight than they did last week.  They're killing Central at the line and are holding the dangerous Ricky Rocha in check.  I wonder if that Fairfield game was the wake-up call they needed.

I should note - their passing game could still use plenty of work, but they've been pretty stalwart most everywhere else tonight.

6 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

I don't know much about WN, but I'll be surprised if Wawasee can hang 70 on anyone.  Next week should be a bit better of a matchup to see how good they are I'm guessing.

Well, the Warriors fell a few points short of 70......