Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GB4

2017 Indianapolis Colts

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I would tend to agree about getting a CB at pick 15.  Conley out of Ohio State would be a really good get.  I thought they (the Colts) may take a shot at Sherman.  However, he is getting older but would be an instant upgrade and they wouldn't need to use a draft pick for a corner.

Sherman would be a great upgrade, but I don't see them giving up the draft picks that would be required to get him. I think they need to get 2 Corners in the draft this year that can start and play; outside of Davis there is nobody that has shown the ability to step in and be solid on the roster right now. Conley would be one of those guys, but he has been climbing a lot lately and may not be there at 15. Might be looking at Kevin King, Marlon Humphrey, or Chidobe Awuzie at 15 and then grabbing another solid option in a deep class on day 2.

Well, well, well.  The Colts take a safety with the 15th pick.  I felt sure they'd take Conley (CB) but then again, there is that accusation against him the day JUST before the draft.  I smell a possible set up.  At any rate, Hooker was projected to be taken in the top 5 picks so getting him at 15 was a steal.  I've heard complaining that he is too raw (only 1 year playing experience) and that he can't tackle very well.  He only had 7 picks (3 for TD's) in that one year's experience and was selected unanimous All-American.  And tackling?  The Colts are going to pay him to get interceptions.  Tackling isn't going to matter all that much.  Ballard has preached he wanted impact players and Hooker is all of that.  His closing speed is off the charts.  I can hardly wait to see what these next rounds bring us tonight.  There are still a TON of good players available on offense and defense.  Was kinda hoping the Colts would trade up and get Fournette.  That cat is going to put some DB's on the injured reserve list.  It's insane to think that a man who weighs 240 pounds can run a 4.5 forty time.  Some of his highlights showed him destroying db's and a couple of lb's who tried to tackle him.  He just crushed some of them.  Like swatting flies.  I despise the Jags.  LOL

Really good first draft for Ballard. Obviously a little lucky to have Hooker fall to 15, but at least he was smart enough to pick him lol as I have said for a while, I thought the biggest weakness after free agency was the secondary, especially the corner position, and I would say they have addressed that very well this weekend. I see Hooker as a guy who can step right in and start, moving Butler to the Nickel position or the 2nd corner if Wilson isn't ready to start week 1. This will also allow Geathers to play in the box more and be a run first defender. The RB that they took is also a solid pick, not sure he will ever be a full time workhouse guy in the NFL but he looks to be a great change up back and should make some big plays.

I would also say the AFC South got quite a bit better too. Tennessee now has some weapons to throw to, Houston added a QB (I don't see him ever being a high level starter) and a very productive linebacker to add to their defense that is getting their best player back this year and Fournette is going to be a nightmare to try to tackle late in games in that Jacksonville heat, not to mention Cam Robinson blocking for him and Dede Westbrook as yet another deep threat to throw to.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, FishDuck said:

Really good first draft for Ballard. Obviously a little lucky to have Hooker fall to 15, but at least he was smart enough to pick him lol as I have said for a while, I thought the biggest weakness after free agency was the secondary, especially the corner position, and I would say they have addressed that very well this weekend. I see Hooker as a guy who can step right in and start, moving Butler to the Nickel position or the 2nd corner if Wilson isn't ready to start week 1. This will also allow Geathers to play in the box more and be a run first defender. The RB that they took is also a solid pick, not sure he will ever be a full time workhouse guy in the NFL but he looks to be a great change up back and should make some big plays.

I would also say the AFC South got quite a bit better too. Tennessee now has some weapons to throw to, Houston added a QB (I don't see him ever being a high level starter) and a very productive linebacker to add to their defense that is getting their best player back this year and Fournette is going to be a nightmare to try to tackle late in games in that Jacksonville heat, not to mention Cam Robinson blocking for him and Dede Westbrook as yet another deep threat to throw to.

I have a gut feeling Hooker and Wilson will both be starting week one.  Wilson's press coverage is his strength and that will mirror Davis on the opposite corner.  I can see Geathers and Hooker being the starting safeties unless Green takes a huge leap in training camp.  This secondary has a chance at becoming scary good.  And as you said, bring Butler in for the nickel.  I wasn't too thrilled with the pick of Mack if they were looking for a future running back.  I have a feeling he won't even be on the team within the next 2 - 3 years.  I hope I'm wrong, but he didn't impress me like some of the other backs did and were still on the board when the Colts selected.  He has a few issues (fumbling and doesn't have a good vision of the field - T Richardson??)  Perine was just one that I thought would be a better selection.  Overall it was a good draft.  Basham could see situational time at EDGE.  He wasn't the MAC defensive player of the year just from perfect attendance.  He had 11 1/2 sacks last season and 29 1/2 in his career.  After watching some videos on him, he reminds me of a combination Freeney and Mathais.  Whoa!  The LB they took out of Northwestern is a very intelligent player.  Saw some of his vids and also saw him play a couple of games last year for Northwestern.  He looks very promising.  With the FA signings and the draft, it appears the Colts are already about 10 spots better defensively than last season.  That would be a good start.  I don't think Ballard is done yet and I'm sure he'll be looking to pick up a few more players through UDFA's and maybe a trade or two.  If nothing else, I like a lot of the one year, prove it contracts he has done and the fact he is sending the message of competition to his players.  Competition is something that has been sorely lacking on this Colts team the past several years.  It seems Ballard is saying, "there is no free ride".  You either prove it or you are gone.  He is definitely changing the culture.  However, as with all teams, the players still have to play together.  I would be interested to see what Ballard's thoughts are on the offensive line. He has mostly talked about the defense in most press conferences.  I am thinking he will go with the same lineup that ended last season (3 rookies starting).  Oh and I absolutely LOVED the Hankins FA signing!  The AFC South?  Everyone in that division had good drafts.  I hated that the Jags got Fournette.  I believe he will put several safeties on the IR during his career.  For a man who weighs 240 pounds and can run a 4.5 forty, I wouldn't want to step in front of him once he breaks past the line of scrimmage in open space.  He is like a runaway freight train.  Yikes!  Sorry if I sound redundant about Fournette, but he is such a BEAST!

Edited by itiswhatitis

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I have a gut feeling Hooker and Wilson will both be starting week one.  Wilson's press coverage is his strength and that will mirror Davis on the opposite corner.  I can see Geathers and Hooker being the starting safeties unless Green takes a huge leap in training camp.  This secondary has a chance at becoming scary good.  And as you said, bring Butler in for the nickel.  I wasn't too thrilled with the pick of Mack if they were looking for a future running back.  I have a feeling he won't even be on the team within the next 2 - 3 years.  I hope I'm wrong, but he didn't impress me like some of the other backs did and were still on the board when the Colts selected.  He has a few issues (fumbling and doesn't have a good vision of the field - T Richardson??)  Perine was just one that I thought would be a better selection.  Overall it was a good draft.  Basham could see situational time at EDGE.  He wasn't the MAC defensive player of the year just from perfect attendance.  He had 11 1/2 sacks last season and 29 1/2 in his career.  After watching some videos on him, he reminds me of a combination Freeney and Mathais.  Whoa!  The LB they took out of Northwestern is a very intelligent player.  Saw some of his vids and also saw him play a couple of games last year for Northwestern.  He looks very promising.  With the FA signings and the draft, it appears the Colts are already about 10 spots better defensively than last season.  That would be a good start.  I don't think Ballard is done yet and I'm sure he'll be looking to pick up a few more players through UDFA's and maybe a trade or two.  If nothing else, I like a lot of the one year, prove it contracts he has done and the fact he is sending the message of competition to his players.  Competition is something that has been sorely lacking on this Colts team the past several years.  It seems Ballard is saying, "there is no free ride".  You either prove it or you are gone.  He is definitely changing the culture.  However, as with all teams, the players still have to play together.  I would be interested to see what Ballard's thoughts are on the offensive line. He has mostly talked about the defense in most press conferences.  I am thinking he will go with the same lineup that ended last season (3 rookies starting).  Oh and I absolutely LOVED the Hankins FA signing!  The AFC South?  Everyone in that division had good drafts.  I hated that the Jags got Fournette.  I believe he will put several safeties on the IR during his career.  For a man who weighs 240 pounds and can run a 4.5 forty, I wouldn't want to step in front of him once he breaks past the line of scrimmage in open space.  He is like a runaway freight train.  Yikes!  Sorry if I sound redundant about Fournette, but he is such a BEAST!

I agree, Ballard has a history of looking for playmaker and especially secondary guys who can get turnovers i.e. Charles Tillman from his time in Chicago. The biggest difference I saw between Mack and guys like Perine is the big play ability that Mack has and his burst thru openings. Perine is a guy that I liked as well, but I see him as being a Frank Gore-type of runner, so I think Mack is a good complimentary piece to Gore for this year.

I totally agree on Fournette, the only worry I have is that he won't be able to hold up injury free for very long with his running style. Time will tell I guess, but either way he will be productive for Jacksonville while on the field no doubt.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, FishDuck said:

I agree, Ballard has a history of looking for playmaker and especially secondary guys who can get turnovers i.e. Charles Tillman from his time in Chicago. The biggest difference I saw between Mack and guys like Perine is the big play ability that Mack has and his burst thru openings. Perine is a guy that I liked as well, but I see him as being a Frank Gore-type of runner, so I think Mack is a good complimentary piece to Gore for this year.

I totally agree on Fournette, the only worry I have is that he won't be able to hold up injury free for very long with his running style. Time will tell I guess, but either way he will be productive for Jacksonville while on the field no doubt.

No doubt Mack does have that big play capability.   However, he seems to be looking to break every carry to the outside and in some of the vids I saw it seemed he missed some cut back lanes.  I hope he isn't like Richardson in that regard (Please, no!).  If he is like Richardson, then I have my doubts he'll stay a Colt for very long.  I don't mind a Frank Gore type runner.  His career has held up very well.  I expect he'll have another 1,000 yard season this year especially if the line is improved and he stays healthy.  This could be a good turn around year for the Colts.  Was really glad they re-signed Turbin.  I like most of the FA signings and most of the draft picks.  Curious to see how many of the LB's work out.  Also interested to see if they still might go after an EDGE rusher.  Time will tell I guess.  Signing Hankins was a great addition to the D line and should help improve the rushing defense.  It's been a long time since the Colts had that guy in the middle who could consistently disrupt another team's run blocking scheme.  The fact that he is only 25 and already a 4 year veteran is a plus.  With an easy schedule this year, I would expect the Colts to win a couple more games.  Maybe they won't, but given that some of the dead weight has been cut, I would expect it.  And from the drafts the other teams had, it would appear the AFC South could be on the rise. 

Luck, Geathers, and Hooker all start training camp on the PUP list.  Hooker and Mewhort were both cleared to play in training camp and Hooker "tweaked" his ham string a couple of days ago running a conditioning drill.  Ugh!

Hooker has been activated from the PUP and practiced today.

GB 

Preseason game or not, the Colts offense looked VERY weak yesterday.  10 points and 230 yards of total offense won't win ANY games.  I thought the #1's on defense looked much better than last year's fiasco.  Wilson (rookie CB) did give up that first TD, but only because he lost sight of the ball.  I thought Hooker silenced a lot of people yesterday with his tackling.  Many people felt he was a poor tackler coming out of college.  I believe he had 4 tackles yesterday.  While that isn't many, one saved a TD.  The offensive line is still a mess.  I know a couple of starters were out, but where is the depth we heard about from training camp?  I certainly didn't see any. There were ZERO running lanes and pass protection was lukewarm.  Our receivers couldn't get away from a 70 year old woman with a walker.  It was sickening to watch.  Again, I know it's the first preseason game, but it was pretty much a dumpster fire.  Tolzein needs let go RIGHT NOW.  Anyone for signing RGIII?  LOL

Andrew Luck is officially out Week 1 vs the L.A. Rams.

GB 

Andrew Luck is officially out Week 1 vs the L.A. Rams.

GB 

Andrew Luck MAY be out until October per Ian Rapaport. Not really a surprise.

GB 

1 hour ago, GB4 said:

Andrew Luck MAY be out until October per Ian Rapaport. Not really a surprise.

GB 

And there is a rumor starting that he is going to retire.  

Watching the Colt's organization operate in the post-Manning era has led me to believe that despite all the accolades, the entire sports world may have dramatically under-rated both Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck.  The fact that when healthy Luck has led the team to the playoffs and Manning was able to capture a Super Bowl Victory may in fact be two of the more significant accomplishments by an NFL quarterback, given the absolute dysfunctional, ineptitude of the Irsay led organization. 

Edited by mcgoo45

I honestly don't understand how Pagano is in his 6th season as a Head Coach.

GB 

8 hours ago, GB4 said:

I honestly don't understand how Pagano is in his 6th season as a Head Coach.

GB 

Too early to fire the HC after 1 game? Yesterday was painful for even me to watch, and I love seeing the Colts look bad lol

I'm not sure how you come back from that game without Luck available.

1 hour ago, FishDuck said:

Too early to fire the HC after 1 game? Yesterday was painful for even me to watch, and I love seeing the Colts look bad lol

I'm not sure how you come back from that game without Luck available.

Well, whenever they do, it is about two seasons too late lol.

GB 

11 hours ago, mcgoo45 said:

Watching the Colt's organization operate in the post-Manning era has led me to believe that despite all the accolades, the entire sports world may have dramatically under-rated both Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck.  The fact that when healthy Luck has led the team to the playoffs and Manning was able to capture a Super Bowl Victory may in fact be two of the more significant accomplishments by an NFL quarterback, given the absolute dysfunctional, ineptitude of the Irsay led organization. 

Yep

Doyel: The Colts have no idea what they're doing: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/09/10/doyel-colts-have-no-idea-what-theyre-doing/645793001/

The Indianapolis Colts stink, and not just the players on the field for that 46-9 loss Sunday to the Los Angeles Rams in their 2017 NFL opener. The whole damn franchise stinks, starting with the owner and oozing downhill, as this sort of excrement tends to do.

The front office stinks. The coaching staff. The scouting department. The players? Bless their hearts, yes. The players stink, too.

Done. And now let's move on and remember what Colts owner Jim Irsay had said this summer about the biggest problem of the Andrew Luck era: his lack of protection.

“I’m telling you,” Irsay said in June, “the offensive line is fixed.”

I'm telling you something else: The people who run this team, from the owner on down, have no idea what they’re seeing, saying or doing.

Mr. Doyel isn't pulling any punches.  And he is right.

How does Pagano not even know the name of team that just whipped them?   I mean cmon man   

I get the don't know what just hit us and the fact he knows he is gonna get canned by the GM sometime this year, but mercy me, cannot do that!!! 

Maybe it was Pagano's lame/weak attempt at "dissing" the Rams.  "You just handed us our behinds.  I'll give another team credit for it and NOT you guys".  <shrug>  However, most of the time he has "that look" on his face when they lose.  Then we get the "yada, yada, yada,,blah, blah, blah over why they didn't win.  Instead of CHUCK STRONG, they need to start a CHUCK, SO LONG! campaign.