Sign in to follow this  
Coach Holt

WRC 2017

New enrollment numbers, classifications, and sectional alignments around the corner. Will any schools bump classes? Who will be in what sectionals?

New head coaches at South Vermillion and Riverton Parke.

Conference more wide open than it has been in recent years? FC graduates a lot of athletes but returns an experienced O-Line, Attica graduates a very talented senior class, We at Covington graduate 10 of 11 starters on defense. RP had a great season with momentum going forward. NV, TR, South Vermillion, Rockville, and Seeger all have solid returning players. 

Plenty of discussion topics on the table. Basically, I'm wishing it was football season. Hopefully this thread will be where we can pass the time until next fall. Should be an interesting year!

Rox will depend on if returning linemen hit the weights, and a solid freshman class to bolster the numbers. White should mature more this coming year. As long as he isn't running for his life. Still he hard for Rox to have a winning record in 2017

I think the league is 3 tiered......

Should be pretty good....

FC and NV

Could be pretty good....

Attica, Seeger, Covington, Seeger

Won't be very good...

Parke County: Rockville, RP, TR

Returning All Conference Players

Attica -  Sophomore RB Sheridan

Fountain Central - Junior WR Howell, Junior OL/DL McCollum, Junior DL Eades

Covington -  Sophomore QB Bever

Riverton Parke - Junior QB Sanders

South Vermillion - Junior RB/SS Handley

North Vermillion - Junior QB Hill, Sophomore DT Woodard, Junior OLB Stephens

Seeger - Sophomore QB Green

#1 in the WRC might be all that it is worth this season.  Unless the realignment allows for the majority of the conference to compete in the same sectional, I don't see too much noise coming from the WRC this season.  

I do like the look for the Falcons moving forward.  I think they will find an identity this year at some point and that will translate well for the following season.  

It is a shame that given the size of South Vermillion, that they will find themselves towards the bottom of the conference more times than not.  

I have enjoyed watching the Covington program take strides in the right direction.  I will definitely be keeping an eye on how the resurgance of their youth league impacts their high school program.  Their coach has done well with program restoration, the debate is still out with the Xs and Os.   

Good luck to the fellas that takes over the vacancies in the WRC.  Some tough sledding ahead....

1 hour ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

The sectional assignments will be interesting 

We'll see if the IHSAA lets a rooster in the hen house again.

2 minutes ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Who's the rooster?

Just a hunch, but I'd guess the team that didn't move up to 2a as expected.  

17 minutes ago, Joe Kane said:

Just a hunch, but I'd guess the team that didn't move up to 2a as expected.  

Central Catholic?  I seriously doubt that they would go South, so it would be more like how many hens get thrown at the rooster...

• Upvote 1

South Vermillion just got themselves a good coach, as has been rumored for a bit...

Rick Semmler‏@Rick_Sports10

Big high school football news! Greg Barrett has stepped down at North Putnam.He's heading to South Vermillion to be Wildcats new head coach

• Upvote 1

Enrollment numbers from largest to smallest 

South Vermillion - 546

Seeger - 375

Fountain Central - 350

Covington - 309

Riverton Parke - 304

North Vermillion - 245

Rockville - 224

Attica - 223

Turkey Run - 159

Two things jumped out at me when looking at the enrollment numbers:

1. South Vermillion being a 3-A school in a 1-A conference, there is absolutely no reason why they should struggle in football. They should be dominant.

2. When Turkey Run and Rockville consolidate (which I'm hearing could be next year), they become the 2nd largest school in the conference. Rockville needs to be thanking the good Lord above for the influx of athletes that they will be getting from Turkey Run. The Warriors' Jr. High teams are loaded with talent. 

Edited by Woody Hayes

18 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Won't they(Turkey-Ville) be on the border of 2A for football?

I would certainly think so. I'm pretty sure Seeger was the biggest 1A, 5-10 students may be more than enough to do it. The more intriguing question is what does the IHSAA do if the consolidation happens AFTER the new sectionals come out AND they (Turkey/Rockville) have the numbers to be in 2A?

It'll be interesting to see if consolidation happens, how many Northern TR kids go to NV and FC, while some on the Eastern edge head to Southmont or Crawfordsville. 

Edited by acerunner

On 3/3/2017 at 8:01 PM, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Won't they(Turkey-Ville) be on the border of 2A for football?

You mean Rock Run?

2 hours ago, Joe Kane said:

You mean Rock Run?

They're fighting over everything else so they'll probably have problems with a new name!

It will be North Central Parke.......you down with NCP.....yeah, you know me!

8 hours ago, Knowledge said:

It will be North Central Parke.......you down with NCP.....yeah, you know me!

So a 3rd school named North Central, including one 40 miles away?

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Laine Frazee of Fountain Central. The senior announced this morning he will be wrestling for Purdue University next fall. I believe that's D1?

2 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Congrats to Laine Frazee of Fountain Central. The senior announced this morning he will be wrestling for Purdue University next fall. I believe that's D1?

That's great for the kid.  Too bad you had to take away from the announcement to try to fulfill some personal agenda.  This was a good opportunity to be the bigger person to let him have the spotlight.  

48 minutes ago, Joe Kane said:

That's great for the kid.  Too bad you had to take away from the announcement to try to fulfill some personal agenda.  This was a good opportunity to be the bigger person to let him have the spotlight.  

I think the spotlight was taken by you and your boys last fall, know what I'm sayin?

2 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

I think the spotlight was taken by you and your boys last fall, know what I'm sayin?

Nope, I sure don't.  You'll have to enlighten me where I come into play.