Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobref

Rats Leaving the Saban Ship?

First, it was Kirby Smart leaving last year. Then, offensive guru Lane Kiffin leaves under bizarre circumstances before the championship game for what is, by all accounts, an inferior job. Now, Kiffin's handpicked successor, Sarkisian (who Saban rescued from the ash heap that was his career at that point), accepts the OC job and then, a month later, takes the same job with the Atlanta Falcons. Has the good ship Saban sprung a leak at Alabama?

16 minutes ago, bobref said:

First, it was Kirby Smart leaving last year. Then, offensive guru Lane Kiffin leaves under bizarre circumstances before the championship game for what is, by all accounts, an inferior job. Now, Kiffin's handpicked successor, Sarkisian (who Saban rescued from the ash heap that was his career at that point), accepts the OC job and then, a month later, takes the same job with the Atlanta Falcons. Has the good ship Saban sprung a leak at Alabama?

It definitely makes you wonder if his shtick has been wearing think on some assistantstuff.

GB 

I hear that Darrell Hazell is currently unemployed. 

7 hours ago, bobref said:

The Dude looks at all those 'Rats' answering the door when someone knocked.  Two HC jobs and one NFL OC job.  You really can't blame them.  That's the life of a coach.  Shoot, someone could argue it makes Saban look like a coach that knows how to hire the right folks.

It may wear thin really quickly but he gets new kids and new coaches and just keeps winning. Until it affects his win loss record he probably isn't changing. 

I think he is a fluid enough coach to adjust with the times. And I would guess rather those guys enjoyed their time with him or not they appreciated it. 

I also he will receive no shortage of resumes to fill any vacancies in his program. 

I do think that he isn't easy to work for but part of this is circumstances too. Smart was rumored for all kinds of HC jobs the previous couple of years and he waited for Georgia. Kiffin can't leave a job in a normal fashion even if he tried. Seriously he's crashed and burned every spot he's been at. And Sark got a really good job he couldn't pass up. 

24 minutes ago, krunyan said:

I do think that he isn't easy to work for but part of this is circumstances too. Smart was rumored for all kinds of HC jobs the previous couple of years and he waited for Georgia. Kiffin can't leave a job in a normal fashion even if he tried. Seriously he's crashed and burned every spot he's been at. And Sark got a really good job he couldn't pass up. 

I agree completely. I would add that the conversation Saban had with Kiffin was "Do you want to be a head coach again?" Kiffin: "Yes I do". Saban:"You still have some things to fix if you want to return to a big time program, to show them you have changed and grown up some. You NEED to take this FAU position. Get that program on track and bigger opportunities will follow."

I would add that Saban appears to be a very difficult coach to work for. His expectations are high, but I will say this; it appears he does not expect anything out of any coach that he does not demand of himself. The story that has gone around for years from when he left Michigan State for LSU.....he sent a plane to East Lansing and told his staff there that if anyone wants to join him, board the plane. No one got on the plane.

Supposedly Kiffin had the Houston job and Houston back out. I wonder if Houston got a phone call from a certain number in Tuscaloosa. I think Kiffin did something at Bama that warranted the phone call i.e. taking assistants with him. Or didn't tell Saban the whole story or something of that nature. 

16 hours ago, Lebowski said:

The Dude looks at all those 'Rats' answering the door when someone knocked.  Two HC jobs and one NFL OC job.  You really can't blame them.  That's the life of a coach.  Shoot, someone could argue it makes Saban look like a coach that knows how to hire the right folks.

I agree. Why would Kirby Smart (a UGA alum) pass up that job? It was no secret that Kiffin wanted to be a head coach again, not really shocking. Think it was in the best interest for both parties to split even earlier than they did. Tough spot for Kiffin to do two jobs at once and not fair to Saban/Bama players to have Kiffin draw up a gameplan if his head wasn't totally there. Who wouldn't pass up the opportunity to coach a NFL offense that features Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Devontae Freeman, and Tevin Coleman?

On 2/7/2017 at 3:06 PM, Andy G said:

I hear that Darrell Hazell is currently unemployed. 

He was just hired to coach WRs for the Minnesota Vikings.

GB