Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Luers to remain in 3A?

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

don't believe success factor was in place back in 2011, was it?   

You are correct. I believe it started in 2016, after 2 year cycle of 2014 & 2015?? 100% sure it was not in play in 2011

8 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Is there something going on in FW that isn’t being said?  I believe I read a thread on here about a few athletes transferring out to other FW schools.

does anyone have inside knowledge about the situation? 

Think it is fairly normal for a few (3-5) transfers every year. Who do you have that is moving from one FWCS to another this year?

15 minutes ago, psaboy said:

You are correct. I believe it started in 2016, after 2 year cycle of 2014 & 2015?? 100% sure it was not in play in 2011

Think it is fairly normal for a few (3-5) transfers every year. Who do you have that is moving from one FWCS to another this year?

There was a thread about it somewhere. I don’t remember the exact specifics just that someone notable was transferring and I believe others mentioned a few more names.

I’m really just pressing at the facts that the FWBL dropped 50 kids in 1 class.....to graduate a class of about 180 and to have a class of 130 coming in is quite the difference.  

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

don't believe success factor was in place back in 2011, was it?   

Teams were bumped up by Success Factor starting with the 2013-14 school year.

For football, they used the 2011 & 2012 seasons to determine if a team would get bumped up. (teams who earned 6+ points in 2011 & 2012 listed below) 

I remember for a fact that Cathedral won 4A in 2011 & 2012 which moved them up to 5A. Then they won 5A in 2013 & 2014 which moved them up to 6A.

Found this on ihsaa site.

Schools Moved Up from 2011‐12 and 2012‐13 Due to Rule 2‐5

Indianapolis Cathedral 5A

Indianapolis Bishop Chatard 4A

Fort Wayne Bishop Luers 3A

Indianapolis Scecina Memorial 2A

Lafayette Central Catholic 2A

16 hours ago, slice60 said:

I will bet you ONE MILLION DOLLARS that Blitz's tweet from the Luers coach are wrong. The 2-Point Minimum Success Factor rule ONLY applies to programs that are CURRENTLY BUMPED UP TO A HIGHER CLASS AFTER EARNING 6+ POINTS IN THE PREVIOUS CYCLE.

Luers won the 2A State title in 2011 & 2012. That bumped them up to 3A for the 2013-14 cycle. They earned only 2 Points in 13-14 & would have fallen back into 2A except their enrollment had jumped up into the 3A level. So they stayed in 3A due to enrollment for 2015-16 (0 points) & 2017-18 (3 points). For the 2019-20 cycle, they will be in 2A due to enrollment.

Even though Luers earned 3 points in the previous cycle, they can & will drop to 2A because they were in 3A due to enrollment, not due to the Success Factor.

I repeat-- For the 2019-20 cycle, FW Luers will be in 2A due to enrollment.

I'm not sure that is how it is written, but until the IHSAA speaks publicly, who knows?   I thought it simply said played in a higher class.     I'll look later. 

16 hours ago, slice60 said:

IHSAA did the right thing by also implementing the rule change for the fall sports.

If the Luers Coach is too dim to understand the rule, he & his AD should call the IHSAA so they can explain it to him.

Hmm? 

https://outsidethehuddle.net/2019/07/23/bishop-luers-football-headed-back-to-3a-after-more-ihsaa-confusion/

Will this ever end?

Just over one month after Outside the Huddle reported that Snider was staying in Class 6A due to an IHSAA rules change, Bishop Luers coach Kyle Lindsay has confirmed to OTH that the Knights will remain in Class 3A for the next two seasons.

Bishop Luers was set to drop to Class 2A after six years in 3A.

The confusion is multi-faceted. Not only are the Knights finding out barely a month before the season begins that they will be placed in a new (but familiar) class and sectional, they are remaining up in 3A due to Success Factor points, despite originally moving to 2A due to an enrollment drop.

The Knights’ three Success Factor points earned in the 2017 and 2018 seasons equate to three points (two sectional titles, one regional title), enough to keep the program in 3A if it had been bumped because of on-field success. But Bishop Luers was not in 3A because of Success Factor over the 2017-18 cycle, but rather enrollment.

“The IHSAA just botched everything with this,” Lindsay said. “When it came out that Snider was moved back to 6A, I told our coaches that I didn’t understand it.

“What bylaw is applied retroactively?”

In late April, the IHSAA board approved a series of rules changes for the 2019-20 athletic calendar. One of those involved football. In years past, a program that had been bumped up a class due to the Success Factor rule remained in that class if it earned three or more points over a two-year period. The new rule that was approved now has teams remaining up a class if they earn two or more points over a two-year cycle, this despite the sectional alignments having already been announced.

That is the rule that affected Snider and is now affecting Bishop Luers.

The IHSAA will once again have to redraw certain sectional alignments, now for the third time.

For Bishop Luers, the change is not a serious one, but more of an annoyance. For instance, Lindsay plans his team’s summer schedule – from scrimmages and 7v7s to clinics his coaches go to – based on regular-season and potential postseason opponents. On Thursday, the Knights will take on Norwell in a scrimmage at South Adams, two teams that could now meet in the playoffs. That matchup would not have happened if Bishop Luers had known sooner that a class change was coming.

“No coach should go into the summer not knowing what class or sectional you are in,” Lindsay said. “But ultimately, I have to remind myself that it is high school sports, things are supposed to be competitive and we can be competitive wherever we are at.”

Bishop Luers has won all 11 of its football state championships in Class 2A, most recently in 2012. The spin by Lindsay to his team is that it earned the bump to 3A based on its performance.

“We are the first Bishop Luers team to have to stay up a class due to performance,” said Lindsay, noting that the Knights stayed up in 3A due to enrollment after being bumped in 2013 for success. “Our student body was large enough that it kept us up in 3A for six years. That is something that isn’t talked about.”

Lindsay admits that his team was split emotionally when they found out the program was dropping to 2A. Some saw an easier road to a 12th state title, while others wanted the opportunity to be the first Bishop Luers squad to win a 3A crown.

Now, they will have that chance.

The Knights open up the season on Aug. 23 at Carroll.

If Greencastle does move down, Crawfordsville replaces them in Sectional 29.  FW Luers to Sectional 27.  Northwestern to Sectional 28 to replace C-ville.   There better be a good explanation if they skip over 3 schools to move Greencastle down.

• Like 1

I find it very interesting that the IHSAA has not released any kind of a statement about this.  I would say even a statement either way.  This is bizarre to me.  It seems that the IHSAA would want to get ahead of this.  The way this is going down really makes them look incompetent.  

• Like 3

On 7/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, Punttheball said:

I find it very interesting that the IHSAA has not released any kind of a statement about this.  I would say even a statement either way.  This is bizarre to me.  It seems that the IHSAA would want to get ahead of this.  The way this is going down really makes them look incompetent.  

This came out from the IHSAA yesterday.  No mention of Luers.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/news media/2018-19/062419.pdf

June 24, 2019 Executive Committee approves updated football sectional assignments Due to the recent change in the Tournament Success Factor point system, an updated version of the 2019 and 2020 football state tournament assignments in Classes 6A and 5A was approved Friday by the IHSAA Executive Committee. The modification to the Tournament Success Factor at its April 29 meeting lowered the number of points needed (from 3 points to 2 points) by a school already playing in a higher classification to continue playing in that same class for another two years. Schools that win a regional championship in a single season or a sectional championship in back‐to‐back seasons would remain in that same higher class. The rule previously had required three points (two sectional titles and a regional title) to continue in that class. With that rule change, both Fort Wayne Snider and Indianapolis Cathedral each accumulated two points over the last two seasons, enough to remain in Class 6A and 5A, respectively. The sectional assignment announcement released on April 29 had Snider in Class 5A, Sectional 11 and Cathedral in Class 4A, Sectional 22, the same day the new tournament success factor rule was changed. Snider has now been assigned to 6A, Sectional 3, while Cathedral will be in 5A, Sectional 13. That rule change coupled with Elkhart Central and Elkhart Memorial consolidating to form a new and larger Elkhart High School which will compete in 6A in 2020, affects several teams from one year to the next. One of those is Zionsville, which will compete in 6A, Sectional 5 in 2019 but 5A, Sectional 12 in 2020. Previously, Valparaiso had been that school which would split time between classes but will now spend both years in 5A, Sectional 9. Another is Carmel which will compete in Sectional 4 in 2019 but Sectional 5 in 2020.