Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Luers to remain in 3A?

On 7/22/2019 at 4:22 PM, slice60 said:

I will bet you ONE MILLION DOLLARS that Blitz's tweet from the Luers coach are wrong. The 2-Point Minimum Success Factor rule ONLY applies to programs that are CURRENTLY BUMPED UP TO A HIGHER CLASS AFTER EARNING 6+ POINTS IN THE PREVIOUS CYCLE.

Luers won the 2A State title in 2011 & 2012. That bumped them up to 3A for the 2013-14 cycle. They earned only 2 Points in 13-14 & would have fallen back into 2A except their enrollment had jumped up into the 3A level. So they stayed in 3A due to enrollment for 2015-16 (0 points) & 2017-18 (3 points). For the 2019-20 cycle, they will be in 2A due to enrollment.

Even though Luers earned 3 points in the previous cycle, they can & will drop to 2A because they were in 3A due to enrollment, not due to the Success Factor.

I repeat-- For the 2019-20 cycle, FW Luers will be in 2A due to enrollment.

BOOM BABY!!

• Like 1

Whew! I don't owe somebody a million bucks! (And I was right all along)

Did the IHSAA let this drag on too long? Yes.

But as far as I can tell, the Luers 2a vs 3A controversy started when the Luers Head Coach popped off to some local sportsnews website. So maybe he will learn a valuable lesson not to spread rumors.

• Sit and spin 1

1 hour ago, slice60 said:

But as far as I can tell, the Luers 2a vs 3A controversy started when the Luers Head Coach popped off to some local sportsnews website. So maybe he will learn a valuable lesson not to spread rumors.

Or maybe it was a calculated statement to bring the situation into the public eye?  

1 hour ago, slice60 said:

Um, you don't think the IHSAA was in contact with Luers?  

27 minutes ago, LuersLurker said:

Or maybe it was a calculated statement to bring the situation into the public eye?  

Maybe...but you couldn't tell the difference between June & July about a week ago.

26 minutes ago, Robert said:

Um, you don't think the IHSAA was in contact with Luers?  

Maybe...but the Luers Coach went to the press when he should have left it up to the IHSAA to make an announcement.

• Sit and spin 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:22 PM, slice60 said:

I will bet you ONE MILLION DOLLARS that Blitz's tweet from the Luers coach are wrong. The 2-Point Minimum Success Factor rule ONLY applies to programs that are CURRENTLY BUMPED UP TO A HIGHER CLASS AFTER EARNING 6+ POINTS IN THE PREVIOUS CYCLE.

Luers won the 2A State title in 2011 & 2012. That bumped them up to 3A for the 2013-14 cycle. They earned only 2 Points in 13-14 & would have fallen back into 2A except their enrollment had jumped up into the 3A level. So they stayed in 3A due to enrollment for 2015-16 (0 points) & 2017-18 (3 points). For the 2019-20 cycle, they will be in 2A due to enrollment.

Even though Luers earned 3 points in the previous cycle, they can & will drop to 2A because they were in 3A due to enrollment, not due to the Success Factor.

I repeat-- For the 2019-20 cycle, FW Luers will be in 2A due to enrollment.

But I was 100% right back on 7/22. Can't argue with that.

You guys should be thrilled. Luers can win another state title now.

• Sit and spin 1

It’s rather quite simple. 

Had Luers been a 2A playing 3A they had enough success to remain 3A rather than dropping to 2A.

Instead, they were a 3A playing 3A and had success, but not enough success, so they can drop to 2A rather than be bumped up to 4A.

I was waaaay off last month when I said this whole success factor business was a convoluted mess with arbitrary rules.

4 hours ago, slice60 said:

But I was 100% right back on 7/22. Can't argue with that.

You guys should be thrilled. Luers can win another state title now.

Graduation hit the knights hard this year. They lost a lot of good starters. Two of them actually played in the All-Star game a couple weeks ago. There'll be a lot of new faces on the field for the Knights this year. It was announced here recently, that Luers lost their best wide receiver and very good linebacker to transfer to the same school. Luers have a new New Qb to my knowledge has never started a varsity football game. BL has to replace the starting running back and the Knights have to replace amost the whole offensive line. The D on the other hand has some returning starters but itself has a few holes to fill. It's going to be tough playing all the bigger schools in the SAC. The schedule will help them in the playoffs. If Luers can make it through the regular season with few injuries and/or player turn over, They should do pretty well in their first year back into 2a, but I do not see them winning a state championship this year. Among others, I believe there is a young Andrean team up to the Northwest that has a lot of returning players from last year's team. They might have something to say about it.

12 hours ago, slice60 said:

Maybe...but you couldn't tell the difference between June & July about a week ago.

Maybe...but the Luers Coach went to the press when he should have left it up to the IHSAA to make an announcement.

I'm wondering if it was simply reading the rules as they had been originally written versus the rewrite.  I suppose we'll never know how much legal was involved or was it simple language.  

17 hours ago, slice60 said:

Luers head coach was contacted by a local sportsnews website and truthfully responding to him that's not popping off.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gridiron_Junkie said:

there is a young Andrean team up to the Northwest that has a lot of returning players from last year's team. They might have something to say about it.

If Andrean did not lose much from last season, they are probably the favorites.  The only losses they had last year were to a 6A team and the 3A state champs.  

I Just visited the maxpreps website to see the Luers roster. I believe there were only 62 souls. I think it says there is 18 Sr. And from what I recall Most of whom have never started a varsity game before.  Only 30 of the 62 names have given numbers and I believe 14 of the 62 were freshman, and according to the website it says there a total of 8 lineman. I figured this may be a rebuilding year but yikes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:58 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Is there something going on in FW that isn’t being said?  I believe I read a thread on here about a few athletes transferring out to other FW schools.

does anyone have inside knowledge about the situation? 

Fort Wayne Community schools is an open enrollment district. It allows freedom of movenent within the district, and accepts out-of-district transfers.   

There is a permanent carousel of students moving from school-to-school at all times in Fort Wayne. 

This is true of ALL students, not just athletes. Actually, the athletes tend to move slightly less than NARPs, but it is VERY normal for students in Fort Wayne to move from school to school. 

I ran into a former Luers student who had started at Luers and was a friend of one of my older sons. He played Luers football as a freshman, but my son lost track of him after he left Luers. I knew he had played at Wayne their senior season.  We were out for brunch today and saw this kid for the first time in many years.  He told me that in his 4 years of high school, he transferred 3 times. 

He is an extreme example, but... transfers are not unusual at all in Fort Wayne.