Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Indieanapolis

Big 8 2017

The season may be underway, but the Big 8 hasn't started inter-conference play yet. Feel free to make predictions. Mine are as follows:

1. Jasper

2. Mt. Vernon

3. Vincennes

4. Boonville

5. Washington

6. Princeton

7. Mt. Carmel

This is a tough one because 3-6 are all pretty close. Princeton lost a lot, and they'll be rebuilding this year. With a new coach, it'll take a lot to get 3+ conference wins. Mt. Vernon is a good team and I could see them taking the title, but Jasper shouldn't ever be written off. Mt. Carmel struggled last year, and it seems like they may continue that trend.

Jasper has been moved up to 4A due to the success factor. They were 3A runner up this year. They will now play in the Evansville 4A sectional. That leaves Vincennes, Princeton, Washington, Pike Central, and Gibson Southern in the 3A sectional. I wonder if Vincennes U's Blemkin Field could be the new site of the sectional ? 

I would guess that they'd play at Jasper even though they aren't in it.  Possibly League Stadium in Huntingburg?  Personally, I've always loved playing at Gil Hodges field in Princeton but that was in the 90's so not sure what kind of shape it's in as I haven't been there in years.  

Love the Indiana HS baseball talk!! 

Edited by Captain Cabinets

2 hours ago, Captain Cabinets said:

I would guess that they'd play at Jasper even though they aren't in it.  Possibly League Stadium in Huntingburg?  Personally, I've always loved playing at Gil Hodges field in Princeton but that was in the 90's so not sure what kind of shape it's in as I haven't been there in years.  

Love the Indiana HS baseball talk!! 

I think Vincennes would be much easier and closer to get to than Jasper. Only Pike Central would travel further and longer. Huntingburg would most likely be used for a 2A sectional. VU has a nice facility with lots of restaurants and shopping nearby also. Parking is pretty easy also.

Lincoln officially hosting 3A Sectional. It will be played at Hill Field, which just got a new infield playing surface that looks and plays outstanding. It will be interesting to see if the seating arrangement is altered, as well as any other renovations needed for a successful tournament. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting location indeed.  So what all was done to the playing surface?

On 4/4/2018 at 1:03 PM, Titan32 said:

Interesting location indeed.  So what all was done to the playing surface?

Bermuda grass infield, new baselines and rebuilt mound. Last year. But the seating and rest of the facility will be interesting for a sectional. 

1 hour ago, Alices11 said:

Bermuda grass infield, new baselines and rebuilt mound. Last year. But the seating and rest of the facility will be interesting for a sectional. 

Indeed.

Posted (edited)

Vincennes started off 0-2 with road losses to TH South and Ev North. They have since gone 4-0 with wins over Bloomington South , Loogootee, N Posey, and S Knox. 

Edited by Gahoosierfan
Spelling