Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The New Normal, round 2

Muda69

This is going to be quite the quandary for the yuppie Starbucks crowd. Apparently the pumpkin spice latte has a history of racism and genocide. 

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9568117-pumpkin-spice-wars-the-violent-history-behind-your-favourite-starbucks-latte/

On the bright side of things, after your morning dose of guilt, it doesn't appear there's actually any nutmeg in the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. 

Ingredients

Milk, Pumpkin Spice Sauce [Sugar, Condensed Skim Milk, Pumpkin Puree, Contains 2% Or Less Of Fruit And Vegetable Juice For Color, Natural Flavors, Annatto, Salt, Potassium Sorbate], Brewed Espresso.

Edited by Impartial_Observer

34 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

This is going to be quite the quandary for the yuppie Starbucks crowd. Apparently the pumpkin spice latte has a history of racism and genocide. 

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9568117-pumpkin-spice-wars-the-violent-history-behind-your-favourite-starbucks-latte/

On the bright side of things, after your morning dose of guilt, it doesn't appear there's actually any nutmeg in the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. 

Ingredients

Milk, Pumpkin Spice Sauce [Sugar, Condensed Skim Milk, Pumpkin Puree, Contains 2% Or Less Of Fruit And Vegetable Juice For Color, Natural Flavors, Annatto, Salt, Potassium Sorbate], Brewed Espresso.

Wait....I thought ONLY the US, and the US ONLY was the one and only racist place on the planet and now being led by the bigoted devil himself - Donald Trump.....Certainly not the DUTCH.....or the English......must be fake news.....

https://100percentfedup.com/video-muslim-7-eleven-employee-washes-feet-in-store-sink-at-prayer-time-5-times-a-day/

A shocking video was posted on social media showing a man washing his feet in the sink right next to the coffee machine at a Roseville, Michigan 7-11. This sink is right in the middle of the store and is meant for washing hands, according to WXYZ News. The crazy thing is the man is an employee at the 7-eleven on Gratiot and 13 Mile Road in Roseville.

The sink is across from a grill station and right next to the coffee machine.

According to WXYZ, there is debate on whether this is ok to do in the store…A debate??? Some people even came to the defense of this 7-Eleven employee!

Emily Divel recorded the video and posted it to social media: “As I walked in I could hear him loudly spitting in the sink.” Divel said he then put his foot in the sink.WXYZ  News confronted the employee who said it was a religious practice:

The employee said he’s Muslim and it’s mandatory he clean his feet, arms, and face at least five times a day.

_e1yAFoN_normal.jpg

Clash of cultures? An @7eleven employee caught washing his feet in an online video. He told me it’s a religious practice. I’ll have his explanation tonight on @tv20detroit & @wxyzdetroit. Thoughts?

Embedded video

-Eleven released a statement:

“We take the cleanliness of 7-Eleven stores very seriously so thank you for making us aware of this incident and allowing us to investigate this matter.

State health inspectors are investigating.

OK - SF is really ok with freedom of religion and would normally empathize and maybe even assist with a person's desire to worship or otherwise recognize their deity or observe a custom........But I would HAVE to draw the line here.......Thank god I don't eat 7-11 food......I have had their coffee however.......

Image result for ewww meme

Edited by swordfish

31 minutes ago, swordfish said:

https://100percentfedup.com/video-muslim-7-eleven-employee-washes-feet-in-store-sink-at-prayer-time-5-times-a-day/

A shocking video was posted on social media showing a man washing his feet in the sink right next to the coffee machine at a Roseville, Michigan 7-11. This sink is right in the middle of the store and is meant for washing hands, according to WXYZ News. The crazy thing is the man is an employee at the 7-eleven on Gratiot and 13 Mile Road in Roseville.

The sink is across from a grill station and right next to the coffee machine.

According to WXYZ, there is debate on whether this is ok to do in the store…A debate??? Some people even came to the defense of this 7-Eleven employee!

Emily Divel recorded the video and posted it to social media: “As I walked in I could hear him loudly spitting in the sink.” Divel said he then put his foot in the sink.WXYZ  News confronted the employee who said it was a religious practice:

The employee said he’s Muslim and it’s mandatory he clean his feet, arms, and face at least five times a day.

_e1yAFoN_normal.jpg

Clash of cultures? An @7eleven employee caught washing his feet in an online video. He told me it’s a religious practice. I’ll have his explanation tonight on @tv20detroit & @wxyzdetroit. Thoughts?

Embedded video

-Eleven released a statement:

“We take the cleanliness of 7-Eleven stores very seriously so thank you for making us aware of this incident and allowing us to investigate this matter.

State health inspectors are investigating.

OK - SF is really ok with freedom of religion and would normally empathize and maybe even assist with a person's desire to worship or otherwise recognize their deity or observe a custom........But I would HAVE to draw the line here.......Thank god I don't eat 7-11 food......I have had their coffee however.......

Image result for ewww meme

There's a 7-11 I frequent in Cocoa Beach right across the street from Sam Sheppard Park, the only thing I've ever purchased there are refrigerated cans and ice.....I'll make a note of it though.

Indiana middle school cancels 'slave ship' role-play lesson after parents raise concerns: https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2019/09/09/indiana-westen-middle-school-howard-county-cancels-slave-ship-role-play-lesson/2234566001/

A Central Indiana middle school said Monday that its canceled plans to have students participate in a "Slave Ship" history exercise after a public outcry.

The exercise was designed to reenact the Middle Passage, in which millions of Africans were kidnapped, shipped across the Atlantic in horrifying conditions and sold into slavery in the Americas.

“In order to help students better understand the hardship captives encountered, “Slave Ship” was created to be an uncomfortable experience,” said a letter sent home to parents ahead of the planned class activity.

It also warned that students would have their wrists “loosely bound” by cable ties, could be asked to kneel or lie on the ground and would hear “threats and language typical of the hateful attitudes representative of the time period.” They would not hear the “N-word,” the letter said.

Kevin Pax, an eighth-grade social studies teacher at Western Middle School in Howard County, has been doing the “Slave Ship” activity with students for several years. The school is located about an hour north of Indianapolis.

This year, though, the letter that went out ahead of the activity caused an uproar of concerned parents who posted about it on social media and contacted the school.

"There are different ways to go about teaching history," said Tawayi Wilson, a Kokomo resident who was planning to send her daughter to Western Schools next year. She says she's reconsidering now. 

"There is no reason why we should have to reenact slavery," Wilson said, "something so harsh, so emotional for children to try and understand." 

The role play portion of the lesson was canceled, according to Western Schools Superintendent Randy McCracken.

McCracken said Pax had been doing the activity for the last six or seven years without issue. 

Looks like the snowflakes win again.

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Indiana middle school cancels 'slave ship' role-play lesson after parents raise concerns: https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2019/09/09/indiana-westen-middle-school-howard-county-cancels-slave-ship-role-play-lesson/2234566001/

Well, I heard the slave ship reenactment was not the school's best work, anyway  -- their "The Holocaust Reimagined" choir show during Oktoberfest and end of the school year play,  "Vegas Mass Shooting: The Musical" are much harder tickets to get....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

This is the same school system who kicked a kid out who contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion back in the 80's.

• Like 3

Those darn Millenials again:

How the Hell is White Claw Hard Seltzer Outselling Budweiser?: https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-the-hell-is-white-claw-hard-seltzer-outselling-budweiser?via=twitter_page

Now that millennials have reportedly knocked off napkins, doorbells, and diamonds, beer looks to be the next victim on their hit list. 

This is no joke. Millennials are drinking staggering amounts of hard seltzer instead of beer. In the most recent reported sales figures, White Claw and Truly outsold every craft beer brand put together. In July, White Claw claims it outsold Budweiser. Yes, Budweiser.

The category has been growing at a triple-digit annual rate since 2016, and is expected to grow by about 300 percent in 2019. Amazingly, even that number is limited to some extent by production capacity. In other words, if there was more White Claw available, people would buy it.

This is no passing fad, either. According to Sanjiv Gajiwala, senior vice president of marketing for Mark Anthony Brands, which owns White Claw and the Mike’s Hard line, after someone has purchased a can of their hard seltzer, “one in three people will buy it again. That’s pretty good.” Even with their impressive sales, he maintains there’s actually room for the brand to grow. While nearly every liquor store and supermarket carries White Claw, only 20 percent of bars and restaurants are currently selling it.

• Disdain 1

3 minutes ago, Wabash82 said:

I don't see a lot of guys drinking White Claw, either (unless all the beers gone). 

I had never heard of White Claw until this article.   I remember a millennial age in-law drinking Truly at a recent family get together.

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I had never heard of White Claw until this article.   I remember a millennial age in-law drinking Truly at a recent family get together.

I have three millennial age sons (well, the oldest might be a 'tweener, as he is 30). They and their male friends of the same age appear to mainly drink beer. (Sometimes lots of it.) 

If they have a little cash in their pockets, they drink fancy micro-brewery beers; if funds are low, they drink mega-brewery beers.  If someone took the last beer and the game's not over yet, they'll sometimes stoop to drinking whatever fruity alcohol concoction their wife/girlfriend brought. 

In the last year or so, I have seen their respective female spouses/girlfriends (who are also millennials) occasionally drink a White Claw instead of Miller Lite or comparable swill. I've never had White Claw, but that strikes me as a good decision. 

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

So this happened today. The first image is from an email I received this afternoon. The 2nd image is the actual ad the person had the question about. 😳🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️

916B5BB8-CF08-4612-9B3C-86115C1E8202.jpeg

ADFE47B7-61D9-4739-A070-EFFEF4AE3CB8.jpeg

I suppose that's relative. 

We recently did an escape room. One of the clues was using the Pathagorean Theorem, we needed the length of a line on the way from the ceiling to the floor on the opposite side of the room. I deduced that the room was 9' tall and we found the length of the wall in another clue. The combination of a lock was C²-10,000. We ended up having to get a clue, because it wouldn't work. We asked what the height of the room was and they said 9'. I explained that we had done it repeatedly using 108² and the combo didn't work. She said in a rather condescending tone, sir, 9'=106". I'm like I'll take you're 106, but I'm the wrong dude to argue measurements with, I'm the guy who eyeballed this thing and correctly identified it was 9' tall. 

So @Irishman, given the information you just read, what do you reckon the odds of you getting a measurement on Friday night are? :)

• Haha 2

On 9/9/2019 at 6:02 PM, gonzoron said:

This is the same school system who kicked a kid out who contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion back in the 80's.

I wonder if any of the parents who made the outcry over this were kids that went to school with Ryan White.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/19/justin-trudeau-leaves-open-possibility-of-more-blackface-photos/

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered a fresh apology to his fellow Canadians on Thursday over his blackface and “brownface” scandal — and left open the possibility that more photos of him in the racist makeup could surface.

Speaking to reporters in Winnipeg, Trudeau said he was “deeply sorry” for appearing in three images with the skin-darkening makeup.

“What I did hurt them,” Trudeau, the son of late former Canada Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, said of his constituency. “The buck stops with me and I have a responsibility.”

The Liberal Party leader stopped short of putting an exact number on the amount of times he’s dressed up in blackface.

“I am wary of being definitive about this because recent pictures that came out I had not remembered,” he explained. “And the question is, how can you not remember that? The fact is, I didn’t understand how hurtful this is to people who live with discrimination every single day.

“I’ve always acknowledged that I come from a place of privilege but now I need to acknowledge that that comes with a massive blindspot.”

PIERS MORGAN: Blackface Trudeau should apply the same high horse standards to himself that he applies to everyone else – and demand his own racist head on a plate

Couldn't have said better myself.......

This Obnoxious Drunk's Opinions Could Earn Him an Extra 59 Months Behind Bars: https://reason.com/2019/09/27/this-obnoxious-drunks-opinions-could-earn-him-an-extra-59-months-behind-bars/

There is little question that Timothy Trybus, the obnoxious drunk who angrily confronted Mia Irizarry as she was preparing for a birthday party at a Chicago park in June 2018, was guilty of disorderly conduct. He may also have committed simple assault. But both of those offenses are Class C misdemeanors, punishable by up to 30 days in jail. So why does he face up to five years in prison?

It is entirely because of the opinions Trybus expressed during his tirade, which this week led a jury to convict him of two felony hate crimes.

This case is highly instructive for anyone who doubts that hate crime laws punish people for what would otherwise be constitutionally protected speech. If Trybus had yelled at Irizarry because he hates birthday parties or because she was wearing a Green Bay Packers hat, he might still have been arrested for harassing her, but he would not be facing a prison sentence. Because he yelled at Irizarry about her Puerto Rican flag T-shirt, his misdemeanors became felonies.

A viral cellphone video recorded by Irizarry, which shows an audibly intoxicated and belligerent Trybus repeatedly harassing her, provided the damning evidence of his benighted views. "Why are you wearing that?" Trybus asks, pointing at the flag shirt. "This is America….You're not gonna change us, you know that?…You should not be wearing that in the United States of America….If you're an American citizen, you should not be wearing that shirt in America."

Under Illinois law, Trybus' behavior pretty clearly qualified as disorderly conduct, which includes "any act" performed "in such unreasonable manner as to alarm or disturb another and to provoke a breach of the peace." His actions may also have amounted to assault, a charge that applies to anyone who "without lawful authority…knowingly engages in conduct which places another in reasonable apprehension of receiving a battery."

Trybus' lawyer, David Goldman, questioned whether Irizarry was "reasonably in fear of receiving a battery," noting that he never touched her and that she remained calm throughout the episode. But in these circumstances, it would not be unreasonable for an unaccompanied woman to fear that the angry, intoxicated man who repeatedly rebuked her and refused to leave her alone might be capable of violence.

Either way, both of these offenses are misdemeanors. What made them felonies was the Illinois hate crime law, which applies "when, by reason of the actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or national origin of another individual or group of individuals," someone commits any of several offenses, including assault and disorderly conduct. A hate crime is a Class 4 felony, punishable by up to three years in prison, for a first offense and a Class 3 felony, punishable by two to five years in prison, for a second offense if it is committed in "a public park."

To put it another way, the maximum sentence for Trybus' offenses is 60 times as long as it would have been if prosecutors had not invoked the hate crime statute. And that staggering multiplier applies purely because the object of his ire was the Puerto Rican flag on Irizarry's shirt, suggesting that he targeted her because of her race, color, or ancestry. Trybus could spend an extra 59 months behind bars for no reason other than the content of his beliefs, as opposed to the manner in which he expressed them. That clearly amounts to punishing him for his opinions, which is not something the government should be doing in a society that claims to respect freedom of conscience and freedom of speech.

Agreed.  This is shameful conviction and highlights the asinine danger behind hate crime laws.   

A crime is a crime is a crime.  Enough said.

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 1

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/new-trans-athlete-guidelines-for-olympics-delayed-because-science-panel-cant-agree?fbclid=IwAR0fB-pR2P5xeGLq6iZRJxVZM9DPI3DDV0mgx7IYPkNbC5qr_mqd_jvNT7o

September 26, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will not implement new, stricter guidelines for the participation of “transgender” athletes in time for the 2020 Tokyo Games because the panel of scientists advising the IOC is struggling to agree on a balance between biology and “fairness.”

In July, researchers from New Zealand released a paper concluding that the IOC’s current guidelines pose an “intolerable unfairness” to actual women competing against gender-confused men, who retain male advantages such as superior “joint articulation, stroke volume and maximal oxygen uptake” despite hormone therapy.

SF thought science wasn't supposed to be a consensus......must be when it comes to gender, though......

5 minutes ago, swordfish said:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/new-trans-athlete-guidelines-for-olympics-delayed-because-science-panel-cant-agree?fbclid=IwAR0fB-pR2P5xeGLq6iZRJxVZM9DPI3DDV0mgx7IYPkNbC5qr_mqd_jvNT7o

September 26, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will not implement new, stricter guidelines for the participation of “transgender” athletes in time for the 2020 Tokyo Games because the panel of scientists advising the IOC is struggling to agree on a balance between biology and “fairness.”

In July, researchers from New Zealand released a paper concluding that the IOC’s current guidelines pose an “intolerable unfairness” to actual women competing against gender-confused men, who retain male advantages such as superior “joint articulation, stroke volume and maximal oxygen uptake” despite hormone therapy.

SF thought science wasn't supposed to be a consensus......must be when it comes to gender, though......

Not sure I understand your comment -- science generally involves consensus, as that's the line that's used to separate "theories" (e.g., General Relativity in physics) or principles or "laws" (e.g.the Laws of Thermodynamics) from mere hypotheses (e.g., "I bet dogs understands English....").

But in any event, the article says that they haven't decided on new guidelines yet in part because the science is not settled: a new study apparently indicated that the testosterone level they were contemplating using as the standard for who may compete as a "woman" may not be low enough to mitigate the biological advantages. That sounds like they are handling this advisory role like you would want scientists to hande it.