Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The New Normal, round 2

Muda69

'Not ashamed': Assman says his name shouldn't be rejected for personalized licence plate: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/melville-man-saskatchewan-government-insurance-assman-license-plate-1.5008302

It's his name, he's proud of it, and he wants it on his Saskatchewan licence plate.

But Dave Assman of Melville, Sask., says SGI has rejected his request to allow him to use "Assman" on a personalized plate, calling it an "unacceptable slogan."

"It's my last name, I've always had it," he said, of the name with German roots, that he pronounces as "Oss-men."

"I'm not ashamed of it. There's nothing bad about it."

In 1995, the name even sparked its own "Assmania" craze, when late-night talk show host David Letterman found and interviewed a Saskatchewan gas station worker and manager by the name of Dick Assman.

For Assman, the name is important, because it's one he shares with his great-grandfather, whom he's learned was a well-off farmer from Neudorf, Sask.  

"Farmers would come in the early '30s and they borrowed money from him," he said. "Instead of him foreclosing on their land, he just either forgave it, or let them pay when they could."

This week, he called SGI for an explanation on why his name was rejected and was told it could be misread and cause offence. He chalks up that answer to "too many hurt feeling reports given out."  

SGI spokesperson Tyler McMurchy said SGI does have guidelines for slogans, and pointed to its website, which says SGI won't approve licence plates the general public may find "offensive, suggestive or not in good taste."

"Even if a word is someone's name and pronounced differently than the offensive version, that's not something that would be apparent to other motorists who will see the plate," he said in an email.

The personalized licence plate review committee, made up of employees, will review if people appeal a decision, but McMurchy said the committee has upheld a decision to reject "Assman" in the past.

Assman says he'd like to get his personalized licence plate but he's not holding his breath.

"I don't think that's going to happen, because SGI is SGI. They'll do what they want anyway."

As a comment to this story states:  "And Dr. Michael Fucker's hopes were quickly dashed . . ."

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

The Dude does not abide. I have no idea who the chick is, but one of the Seattle Seven, selling out and schilling beer is very undude. And IO has no idea who or what the chick represents.

Thanks IO......I certainly couldn't picture the Dude going Stella.....

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

'Not ashamed': Assman says his name shouldn't be rejected for personalized licence plate: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/melville-man-saskatchewan-government-insurance-assman-license-plate-1.5008302

As a comment to this story states:  "And Dr. Michael Fucker's hopes were quickly dashed . . ."

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Like 1

More on the Mr. Assman story:  https://jalopnik.com/assman-will-not-take-this-sitting-down-1832602198

David Assman, pronounced OSS-man if you must know, is a Canadian railroad worker who wanted a simple thing: his last name on his license plate. He was thwarted in this quest, but got revenge in the best possible style.

ecrmwkgjxczzapgtfyzl.png

• Thanks 1

Detroit City Council Bans Autorama Bandit Jump Over Seemingly Nonexistent Confederate Flag: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/02/detroit-city-council-bans-autorama-bandit-jump-over-seemingly-nonexistent-confederate-flag/#more-1662610

Until Tuesday, organizers of the 2019 Detroit Autorama were planning on opening the show on March 1st with a car jump by a replica Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am Firebird. A couple of years ago, the Autorama featured a jump of a Dukes of Hazzard “General Lee” Charger replica, to considerable press coverage, including here at TTAC.

This year, the same group of car enthusiasts that put on the General Lee jump, Northeast Ohio Dukes, was going to be back on Atwater Street behind Cobo Hall, only with a black and gold Pontiac, not an orange Dodge. When it comes to famous fictional car jumps, the Bandit’s Mulberry Bridge leap is right up there with the General Lee’s vault in the Dukes’ opening credits, and the Autorama jump was going to be part of a more general tribute at the custom car show to the late Burt Reynolds, a Michigan native, who starred in SATB.

Detroit’s City Council, though, has put a kibosh on the jump, apparently over a nonexistent Confederate battle flag, voting 7-1 to reject the jump. In the 1977 film, the black and gold Trans Am wears a period-correct Georgia license plate on the front of the car. The plate’s Confederate war banner offends current woke sensibilities. The license plate does not appear on any photos or videos available of the Ohio group’s Bandit replica. A commemorative t-shirt they’re selling for the as-of-now cancelled jump does have a caricature of a scene from the movie featuring the Bandit with the Stars & Bars along with Sheriff Buford T. Justice’s four-door Pontiac Grand LeMans police cruiser. After news of the Council’s actions broke, Northeast Ohio Dukes insisted on their Facebook page that they had no intention of having the plate on the car at the Detroit appearance.

The fact that the stunt car wasn’t going to have the flag, and the fact that Autorama has been bringing tens of thousands of fans and their money to downtown Detroit for over 50 years might have persuaded normal people not to make a fuss, but Detroit City Council is populated by politicians, not normal people.

During the council’s Tuesday debate on a permit for the jump, Councilman Scott Benson said “Autorama, which has a history in the city of Detroit, also has a history of supporting imagery and symbols of racism, oppression and white supremacy as well as American, home-bred terrorism right here in the United States.”

That “history of supporting imagery….” was apparently a reference to the 2017 General Lee replica jump, and hopefully not an allegation that folks in pointy white hoods clog up the aisles at Cobo every year in early March. There are plenty of hoods at Autorama, but they’re all on cars, and more likely to be tangerine orange flake, baby, than white.

While it’s true that symbols of the Confederacy have become touchstones for controversy in recent years, I have to say that Councilman Benson’s hyberbolic rhetoric impugning Autorama organizers as racist white supremacists seems foolish to me, at least based on what I have seen at the event. Putting aside the fact that there were plenty of African-American folks watching the 2017 General Lee jump (I was there), flag or not, the closely related custom, hot rod, and drag racing communities (Autorama’s official sponsor is the Michigan Hot Rod Association) are the most ethnically diverse subcultures of the automotive world.

While the Detroit area’s Concours of America and Eyes On Design car shows are far from “lilly white,” as a more working class show there are simply a lot more black, Asian, and Latin folks, percentage-wise, attending Autorama than those other two shows. I go to many, many car shows and the Detroit Autorama has the most ethnic and racial diversity of any I’ve visited.  Not just attending, either. Black car owners and builders have been Ridler Award finalists in recent years. Similarly, show organizers have placed low riders from California-based Latino car clubs in prominent positions at the front of Cobo’s main hall. It’s a high honor in the customs world to have your work in the front of Cobo, where the Ridler finalists are displayed.  In conjunction with Low Rider magazine, this year’s show will also feature 17 cars in the Low Rider Magazine Invitational.

Contrary to photos and videos of the Northeast Ohio Duke’s Bandit replica, and the group’s assertions, Benson said after the vote that the Trans Am, “still proudly flies a Confederate flag, which is a symbol of oppression, slavery, as well as home-bred American terrorism. So this body said we are not going to support that type of symbolism nor the audacity to support that type of activity in the city of Detroit.”

Benson accused the Northeast Ohio Duke’s of misleading the city concerning the 2017 jump. “The Confederate flag which has been a symbol of all of those items was proudly displayed within the last two years during an Autorama car jump when they came and expressly said they would not display that symbol during the jump,” Benson said. “Come to find out they actually displayed that symbol, and that can be seen in YouTube video jumps they did on Atwater Street.”

At the time, Northeast Ohio Dukes told the city and show organizers that as the flag was on their General Lee’s roof, and since they were doing a jump, the flag would not be visible to the street level crowd. How credible or not that claim was, the city apparently accepted it at the time.

The Autorama’s media liaison said, following the vote, that organizers had no comment other than the fact that they were trying to resolve the issue with the city.

9 minutes ago, swordfish said:

No photo description available.

My wife likes to order shoes/clothes, etc. from Macy's online. She'll order stuff, and return what doesn't fit or she doesn't like. So, since I'm in the city a lot more than her, it falls upon me to return what she doesn't want. A couple of weeks ago, I return a couple of pairs of heels. The woman at the counter opens them up, has a bit of a smirk on her face and asks "they didn't fit?" To which I replied, keeping a straight face and without batting an eye,  "I was looking for something a little sexier for dancing". Eff it man, may as well have a little fun with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

My wife likes to order shoes/clothes, etc. from Macy's online. She'll order stuff, and return what doesn't fit or she doesn't like. So, since I'm in the city a lot more than her, it falls upon me to return what she doesn't want. A couple of weeks ago, I return a couple of pairs of heels. The woman at the counter opens them up, has a bit of a smirk on her face and asks "they didn't fit?" To which I replied, keeping a straight face and without batting an eye,  "I was looking for something a little sexier for dancing". Eff it man, may as well have a little fun with it. 

Try searching for a women’s size 13 shoe........these are not websites I want my 15 year old daughter with big feet looking at. I guess transvestites gotta buy heels somewhere.

• Haha 2

A ‘KKK’ twist in the ‘Keep Dayton Small’ saga riles town just east of Lafayette: https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2019/02/21/bangert-kkk-twist-keep-dayton-small-saga-riles-town-just-east-lafayette/2936438002/

What do you see when you pass the billboard installed in March 2018 along Indiana 38 across from Lafayette’s Subaru plant as a towering poke in the eye in a small town’s neighbor-vs.-neighbor struggles?

It’s the one that riffs on a motto found on the prolific, red-and-white signs planted in yards in the town just on the other side of Interstate 65:

“Keep Dayton Small.

“Keep Dayton Friendly.

“Keep Dayton Dayton.”

One interpretation, featured on postcards that started making the rounds this week, starts at the beginning of each line for a take that had both sides in the long-running Keep Dayton Small feud up in arms and pointing fingers on Thursday.

On the postcard’s front, over a picture of the billboard: “No matter how you justify it, it still says KKK.”

On the back is a pre-printed address of Lamar Advertising, the Baton Rouge, Louisiana, company that leases the billboard space.

The creator, Brian Dilkes, a Purdue biochemistry professor living in Lafayette, said his point isn’t meant to accuse anyone of Ku Klux Klan membership or stake a claim in the fight over whether to limit annexation and housing growth in the town of 1,550 people.

“It states, quite simply, that billboard spells ‘KKK’ down the left side,” Dilkes said. “That’s it. … I just don’t like a billboard that spells, ‘KKK,” sitting on (Indiana) 38 that I see every time I go to Indianapolis.”

Dilkes, as of Thursday, hadn’t mailed any of the postcards he had made, either to Lamar Advertising or to anyone in Dayton. But he did share a few with people one evening this week at The Spot, a tavern just south of downtown Lafayette.

That’s how the “KKK” reference filtered eight miles to Cindy Marsh, who has been front and center with Dayton Watchdog and the Dayton Area Community Coalition, sister groups that have been fighting town council efforts to annex and rezone land along Dayton Road for a proposed, 110-home subdivision.

Things escalated from there.

IMHO yet another example of people looking for something to offend them.  I have driven by the billboard in question literally hundreds of times since it was put up and never even once thought about what Mr. Dilkes is implying.  Perhaps if the letter K in each sentence was highlighted, bolded, in a larger font, etc.  then yes, one could make the connection.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/24/terry-miller-andraya-yearwood-transgender-sprinter/

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Andraya Yearwood hears the comments, usually from adults and usually not to her face.

She shouldn’t be running, they say, not against girls.

Yearwood, a 17-year-old junior at Cromwell High School, is one of two transgender high school sprinters in Connecticut, transitioning to female.

She recently finished second in the 55-meter dash at the state open indoor track championships. The winner, Terry Miller of Bloomfield High, is also transgender and set a girls state indoor record of 6.95 seconds. Yearwood finished in 7.01 seconds and the third-place competitor, who is not transgender, finished in 7.23 seconds.

Miller and Yearwood also topped the 100-meter state championships last year, and Miller won the 300 this season.

Critics say their gender identity amounts to an unfair advantage, expressing a familiar argument in a complex debate for transgender athletes as they break barriers across sports around the world from high school to the pros.

Yeah, gender identity had nothing to do with these kids winning the state title.......

Edited by swordfish

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Uptight HOA Threatens Fine After Car Leaves Dick Shape in Snow: https://jalopnik.com/insane-hoa-threatens-fine-after-car-leaves-dick-shape-i-1832906729

Buck Crimshaw -- aka, the "If Dan Dakich did politics instead of sports" fake talk radio host created for laughs by my son -- has had his issues with an HOA as well.... (Episode titled "Buck Fights with a Neighbor").

Eagles Shield Podcast

‘Emotional support animal’ mauls 5-year-old at Portland Airport, lawsuit claims: https://www.foxnews.com/travel/emotional-support-animal-mauls-5-year-old-at-portland-airport-lawsuit-claims

A mom has filed a $1.1 million lawsuit against the owner of a pit bull and Alaska Airlinesafter the animal allegedly mauled her 5-year-old’s face at the Portland International Airport.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Multnomah County by Mirna Gonzalez on behalf of her daughter, Gabriela Gonzalez, claims Michelle Brannan, the dog’s owner, should have known her animal had “vicious propensities” and that Alaska Airlines allowed her to bring a dangerous dog into the gate waiting area without being confined or trained.

According to the suit, the incident took place Dec. 18, 2017, while Gabriella Gonzalez was waiting at Gate C7 with her family for a flight to Texas at the Portland hub.

Gabriella, then aged 5, was waiting at the gate when Brannan entered the area with her pit bull, which was not kept in a crate, kennel or other secure container, the lawsuit claims. The child allegedly gained permission from Brannan to pet the dog. While she was petting the animal, it bit her, causing serious injuries.

As a result of the incident, Gabriella Gonzalez suffered injury to the muscles, tendons, bones, nerves and soft tissue of her face, eye, eyelid, tear duct and lip, as well as emotional trauma,” the lawsuit reads, noting that Gabriella was left with permanent scarring and “required surgery to repair complex facial lacerations and a damaged tear duct, and has incurred medical expenses and will incur future medical expenses.”

Brannan had told the airline the pit bull was an emotional support animal and went through the ticketing process at Alaska Airlines.

Alaska Airlines does not require emotional support animals to be in crates, stating on its website that pets must be at least leashed and under control of the owner. However, the Port of Portland felt Brannan’s dog should have been in a crate or kennel and cited her for failing to do so before the alleged attack.

Alaska Airlines declined comment to Fox News, stating “it would be inappropriate" for them to comment about the case. They have yet to receive the lawsuit.

image.png.57dfb4cdf82fd8fa0d8f64b6b9c33a31.png

This poster was on display in the West Virginia statehouse during the WVGOP Day at the Capitol \ GOP Day in the Legislature event.  The WVGOP sponsors the event, but says that it had no idea that one of the exhibitors would put up this poster.  This is coupled with the resignation of Anne Lieberman, the WV House of Delegates Sergeant at Arms, after allegedly saying "all Muslims are terrorists."

5 hours ago, foxbat said:

image.png.57dfb4cdf82fd8fa0d8f64b6b9c33a31.png

This poster was on display in the West Virginia statehouse during the WVGOP Day at the Capitol \ GOP Day in the Legislature event.  The WVGOP sponsors the event, but says that it had no idea that one of the exhibitors would put up this poster.  This is coupled with the resignation of Anne Lieberman, the WV House of Delegates Sergeant at Arms, after allegedly saying "all Muslims are terrorists."

Not all Conservatives are racist, but all racists are Conservatives.

• Disdain 1

On 3/2/2019 at 8:46 PM, DanteEstonia said:

Not all Conservatives are racist, but all racists are Conservatives.

Comedian Trevor Noah slammed as ‘racist’ for India-Pakistan joke: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/comedian-trevor-noah-slammed-as-racist-for-india-pakistan-joke

Trevor Noah, the host of “The Daily Show,” raised eyebrows after he joked that a war between Pakistan and India would “probably be the most entertaining” of all time, saying that Indian soldiers would enter battle dancing Bollywood style.

“It would be the longest war of all time,” he said, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “Another dance number?”

Swara Bhasker, an Indian actress, called Noah’s comments “ignorant and racist.” She reportedly said, “Ur set smacks of essentialism & a patronizing generalization.” Another Indian comedian wrote, “If you’re going to be a racist comic than at least get the comic bit right.”

Most of the comments were posted on Twitter. Noah responded to one, “I am sorry that this hurt you and others, that’s not what I was trying to do.”

At least eight civilians and two soldiers have been killed in Pakistani-controlled Kashmir since tensions soared following India’s airstrike last Tuesday inside Pakistan. India said the strike targeted militants behind a Feb. 14 suicide bombing in Indian-controlled Kashmir that killed more than 40 Indian troops.

Pakistan retaliated, shooting down a fighter jet on Wednesday and detaining its pilot, who was returned to India on Friday. India, in turn, on Saturday handed over the body of a Pakistani civilian prisoner beaten to death by inmates in a jail in India last week. The man, Skahir Ullah, was buried Sunday in his home village of Sialkot in Punjab province.

Noah said he used comedy to "process pain and discomfort.”

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1