Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The New Normal, round 2

Muda69

4 minutes ago, swordfish said:

My Daughter sent this to me this morning.  She is in the admin at Goshen Community Schools and in this video a number of times.  Very well done for an impromptu - However, I am guessing some liberal heads are going to explode......

I’m glad I teach in Nevada, so I don’t have to deal with stuff like this. I seriously had to explain what a hymn was to my middle schoolers this year.

17 hours ago, swordfish said:

My Daughter sent this to me this morning.  She is in the admin at Goshen Community Schools and in this video a number of times.  Very well done for an impromptu - However, I am guessing some liberal heads are going to explode......

With all the government employees in that video methinks Goshen schools will be receiving communication from the ffrf soon.

And don't tell me GHS caved and got rid of the excellent Redskins mascot for the generic and insipid "Redhawk" moniker?

• Like 1
  • Disdain 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 7:34 AM, Muda69 said:

With all the government employees in that video methinks Goshen schools will be receiving communication from the ffrf soon.

Exactly my thought as well. 

ON ANOTHER TOPIC:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-church-shooting-parishioners-praised-for-stopping-gunman-who-killed-two-at-west-freeway-church-of-christ/

The man shot two male parishioners in the corner of the church before being shot by a parishioner who's part of a volunteer security team. Several more members drew their guns as well. There were more than 240 people inside at the time.

"This team responded quickly, and within six seconds, the shooting was over," Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick said.

Don't try to start a mass shooting in a rural Texas church......

• 2 weeks later...

UMass Amherst Removed a Professor for Showing a Downfall Hitler Parody Video: https://reason.com/2020/01/06/umass-amherst-downfall-video-lowry-accounting/

Catherine West Lowry is a senior lecturer at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. For the past 13 years, she has taught introductory accounting—a "dry and difficult subject matter," in her words.

To make the class more exciting, Lowry has for years let students make funny videos for extra credit. Some of these have been shown in class. A parody video from 2009 was particularly popular and has resurfaced in subsequent years.

Last semester, when Lowry showed this specific video, many students laughed at it. But at least a few were offended and complained to the administration, which subsequently relieved Lowry of her teaching duties.

The video in question is in the style of the popular Downfall parodies. Downfall, a 2004 German film that depicts the final days of Adolph Hitler and his inner circle, includes an extended scene of Hitler screaming at his subordinates that is rife for parody. People change the subtitles so that Hitler is ranting about something else: Here's a meta example about the parodies themselves, and here's one where Hitler realizes Pokemon aren't real. Lowry's students made one where Hitler is enrolled in the course and receive a bad grade.

Some of the humor may have crossed a line, in the eyes of a few students. At one point, the Hitler subtitle read: "Don't you dare finish that sentence or I'll send you to a chamber. And it won't be the chamber of commerce. I can guarantee that."

And yet "there were people laughing," one student told The Chronicle of Higher Education. "There were some people who were kind of indifferent. They didn't really care. There were some people that, like, you could tell they were a little bit uneasy about it."

"People sort of realized that that was a little over the top, maybe, for the classroom," said another. "But generally, people laughed pretty hard at it [the video]. I certainly did."

A second video—this one a parody of the 2018 song "Bust Down Thotiana"—also drew the attention of the administration.

Dean Anne Massey removed Lowry from her teaching position and attended the class's next session to inform students. Many took the news poorly, shouting "bring back [Lowry]." They eventually walked out in protest.

Massey did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A spokesperson for the university told the Chronicle that the video was objectively offensive, and had no place in the classroom.

Lowry sent an email to students apologizing if any of them were offended. At the same time, she was surprised by the administration's "snap judgment" that she could no longer teach her class:

"This was an educational opportunity at a major research university. It's just unfortunate that the university did not take advantage of this educational opportunity. Instead, they chose to follow a punitive process, which doesn't really help anybody," Lowry said. "I could have easily dealt with this, if I had been afforded that opportunity. They made a snap judgment and really trampled the reasonable processes we have in place here."

UMass Amherst is a public university, and punishing a professor for an attempt at humor raises some troubling First Amendment issues. The administration should correct course and reinstate Lowry. No one should be encouraging accounting professors to make their classes even more boring.

Agreed.  Public universities are not "safe spaces" nor should they be.  

• Disdain 1

Introductory Accounting?  SF is all for free speech and can most likely stand behind this professor in that light, but in the context of "Introductory Accounting" SF can't see a connection (an "educational opportunity" in her words) between making or editing videos and accounting......Maybe leave that up to the media majors......

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

Introductory Accounting?  SF is all for free speech and can most likely stand behind this professor in that light, but in the context of "Introductory Accounting" SF can't see a connection (an "educational opportunity" in her words) between making or editing videos and accounting......Maybe leave that up to the media majors......

FTA:

To make the class more exciting, Lowry has for years let students make funny videos for extra credit. Some of these have been shown in class. A parody video from 2009 was particularly popular and has resurfaced in subsequent years.

I took Accounting 101 during my college years and let me you if such extra credit would have been available I would jumped on it.   

• Disdain 1

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

FTA:

I took Accounting 101 during my college years and let me you if such extra credit would have been available I would jumped on it.   

Again - SF could most likely make an argument either way, and I do think the school overreacted in this case, but those darn snowflakes sure melt hard and loud.......over a 2009 video of all things......

The thing about good comedy is there is always a level of truth to it, no matter who it may offend, and today's youth are not prepared to handle much truth even if there is humor in it's presentation.....alas....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

FTA:

How would you have made the videos? With your Super 8 camera? 

• 3 weeks later...

Yale Will Eliminate a Beloved Introductory Art Class for Being Too White, Male, and Western: https://reason.com/2020/01/27/yale-university-art-department-western-white-male-problematic/

Enrollment has swelled for Yale University's introductory art history course, which covers "the Renaissance to the present." That's because the school plans to eliminate the popular class after the spring.

According to The Yale Daily News, the art department has decided that the class might make some students uncomfortable due to the "overwhelming" whiteness, maleness, and straightness of the artists who comprise the Western canon (though that last label may be dubious). Indeed, the focus on Western art is "problematic," course instructor Tim Barringer told the student newspaper.

"I want all Yale students (and all residents of New Haven who can enter our museums freely) to have access to and to feel confident analyzing and enjoying the core works of the western tradition," said Barringer. "But I don't mistake a history of European painting for the history of all art in all places."

In its final iteration, the course will "consider art in relation to questions of gender, class and race and discuss its involvement with Western capitalism," according to the latest syllabus. Art's relationship to climate change will also be a "key theme."

"I'm really looking forward to seeing what works the students come up with to counteract or undermine my own narratives," said Barringer.

Art students who wish to master the Western canon will still find plenty of other courses that satisfy their interests. But the removal of the introductory course makes it difficult for non-majors with a casual interest in the subject to study it.

"My biggest critique of the decision is that it's a disservice to undergrads," one student, Mahlon Sorensen, told The Yale Daily News. "If you get rid of that one, all-encompassing course, then to understand the Western canon of art, students are going to have to take multiple art history courses. Which is all well and good for the art history major, but it sucks for the rest of us."

It has become more common in recent years for small cabals of students to rebel against liberal arts curricula that they feel are too focused on Western artists, authors, and thinkers. Students at Reed College, for instance, successfully pressured educators to disband an introductory humanities course. In that case, the activists demanded that all European texts be removed and replaced by non-European books as a form of reparations "for Humanities 110's history of erasing the histories of people of color, especially black people." Yale's art department seems to be changing with the times.

It's good to include more perspectives and to ensure that a liberal arts education is not excessively focused on Europe. But diversity by addition is vastly preferable to diversity by subtraction. When a university eliminates an introductory art class because a tiny number of ideologues object to the whiteness and maleness of it all, it feels like they are declining to teach history because some people don't like what happened. The West's outsized influence on the events of the last several centuries may very well be problematic, but that doesn't mean it isn't real.

Poor little sheltered snowflakes may feel uncomfortable by an art class.  Pitiful.  

• Disdain 2

We are not supposed to objectify women, so last night's halftime show with Shakira and J-Lo was very difficult to make sense of in many ways.

1 - Both women in their 40's and 50's are absolutely beautiful and are incredible entertainers.  (What straight man wouldn't have died happy if there had been a wardrobe malfunction)

2 - Using stripper poles made not objectifying difficult to accomplish.  (WTG A-Rod)

3 - SF doesn't speak Spanish, (and would have preferred English, this being the US Super Bowl after all) but kinda enjoyed the Latino spin, right up until Shakira did the "Jihadist" tongue thing right in the camera.  I was thinking - in her outfit, what would the punishment be for her in a Jihadist camp?  But then again - where did belly-dancing originate?  IDK.  Again - confusing.....

4 - In the end - Kudos to the hot old birds for pulling this off and staying in their tiny clothes for the entire show.  The young impressionable kids watching I'm sure were inspired.

7 hours ago, swordfish said:

We are not supposed to objectify women, so last night's halftime show with Shakira and J-Lo was very difficult to make sense of in many ways.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jennifer-lopez-shakira-bring-fire-feminine-energy-to-super-bowl-halftime-031411542.html

1 - Both women in their 40's and 50's are absolutely beautiful and are incredible entertainers.  (What straight man wouldn't have died happy if there had been a wardrobe malfunction)

2 - Using stripper poles made not objectifying difficult to accomplish.  (WTG A-Rod)

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/9/29/20884151/jennifer-lopez-hustlers-body

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/movies/jennifer-lopez-academy-awards.html

3 - SF doesn't speak Spanish, (and would have preferred English, this being the US Super Bowl after all) but kinda enjoyed the Latino spin, right up until Shakira did the "Jihadist" tongue thing right in the camera.  I was thinking - in her outfit, what would the punishment be for her in a Jihadist camp?  But then again - where did belly-dancing originate?  IDK.  Again - confusing.....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/shakiras-viral-super-bowl-tongue-215051365.html

https://faze.ca/shakira-cover-story-cultural-fusion/

4 - In the end - Kudos to the hot old birds for pulling this off and staying in their tiny clothes for the entire show.  The young impressionable kids watching I'm sure were inspired.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jennifer-lopezs-daughter-emme-11-020201322.html

• Thanks 1

Erykah Badu’s New Incense Will Smell Like Her Vagina

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/erykah-badus-incense-badus-pussy-948376/?fbclid=IwAR3kbql6gdDOUDTO2S63aZnWKa7qACpx6uBZ0hI1VQcXNohMQoFeRM2yK_M

“The people deserve it,” Badu said in regards to the product that will be part of her new online store, Badu World Market

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/erykah-badus-incense-badus-pussy-948376/?fbclid=IwAR3kbql6gdDOUDTO2S63aZnWKa7qACpx6uBZ0hI1VQcXNohMQoFeRM2yK_M

“The people deserve it,” Badu said in regards to the product that will be part of her new online store, Badu World Market

d94ad7e64a58d029f5f4e65816e3757d.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 2:04 PM, gonzoron said:

Image result for ewww meme

image.jpeg.670b8a04ea970beabebcb0b8d629b721.jpeg