Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DanteEstonia

Is there a pitch count limit in IHSAA baseball?

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

Forfeit the game

Whose responsibility is it to maintain a pitch count?

The IHSAA is a self reporting agency; so the expectation is that schools report themselves. While not 100% certain, my guess is that each team is responsible for their own count. That said, there are instances where another school or team will report something that gets investigated. A friend on facebook had posted that team he coached had to forfeit a JV game they had won 3-1 because the winning team's pitcher went over the count. It is not that difficult to do actually. I kept a scorebook while in college and I would enter the pitch number instead of an "X" or a check mark where you keep track of balls and strikes. I created a line for foul balls under that to keep track of additional pitches. I would start a new count each inning and off to the side, I would put total pitches per inning.

There was a situation out in Nevada actually where a team had to forfeit a playoff game due to our pitch count rule. It sounds like a counter productive rule, all things considered.

There was a game a couple years ago here in Indiana where a pitcher threw something like 140 pitches. I don't remember all the details, but the count was ridiculously high. I am not sure how the IHSAA arrived at the number they did, but with the increasing amount of elbow and shoulder problems among pitchers, something had to give.