Jump to content
Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

My opinion after week two:

1. Central - dominant in KY.   2-0

2. Reitz - survived the air raid   2-0

3. Memorial - still looking good despite two big injuries   2-0

4. Castle - air Castle is alive and well   2-0

5. MD - Toughest start out of everyone for sure   1-1

6. North - surprising loss to HC   1-1

7. Bosse - big step back to reality  1-1

8. Harrison - won't be in the bottom for long, but still ....   0-2

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, AllThingsThruChrist said:

Reitz not in need of any defensive help. Kid has no chance of playing LB at Reitz. 

Looks like he is the starting Middle backer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SIAC Week #3:

Central (2-0 84.66) hosts Bosse (1-1 25.04);

Mater Dei (1-1 44.80) hosts Harrison (0-2 45.34)

Memorial (2-0 76.68) hosts North (1-1 47.83) (at Romain Stadium); and

Castle (2-0 63.04) hosts FJ Reitz (2-0 65.20).

At least on paper, the game of the week clearly appears to be in Paradise as the Panthers head east to take on the Knights.  I'm no genius, but believe the Sagarin numbers for SIAC will be slower to develop this year with so many schools playing non-IN opponents.  Thoughts?  Predictions?  Do we need to send out a search party for the Dude? 

Edited by tango

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tango said:

SIAC Week #3:

Central (2-0 84.66) hosts Bosse (1-1 25.04);

Mater Dei (1-1 44.80) hosts Harrison (0-2 45.34)

Memorial (2-0 76.68) hosts North (1-1 47.83) (at Romain Stadium); and

Castle (2-0 63.04) hosts FJ Reitz (2-0 65.20).

At least on paper, the game of the week clearly appears to be in Paradise as the Panthers head east to take on the Knights.  I'm no genius, but believe the Sagarin numbers for SIAC will be slower to develop this year with so many schools playing non-IN opponents.  Thoughts?  Predictions?  Do we need to send out a search party for the Dude? 

Dude here, just takin' 'er easy for those sinners out there.  The Dude abides, on paper, Paradise is the game of the week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct, Tango. Reitz has no valid Sagarin info so their rating has nothing to do with this season.  It will begin to solidify as they start playing in state opponents, but it takes four weeks to be really valid. So, Reitz, Central, Mater Dei, and North will all lag behind for a week or two.  Week six should be when all schools in the SIAC have valid Sagarin ratings.

Edited by Rathernot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reitz - Castle should be the only game that is close this week. Rumors of Castle's possible demise this year seem to have been greatly exaggerated. Offense is firing on all cylinders, passing game looks great. I look for a typical close Reitz-Castle game. Weather may play a big key with heavy rain possible Friday night from the hurricane, IMO Castle must be able to throw the ball to beat Reitz. Looking forward to another good one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, panther77 said:

Reitz - Castle should be the only game that is close this week. Rumors of Castle's possible demise this year seem to have been greatly exaggerated. Offense is firing on all cylinders, passing game looks great. I look for a typical close Reitz-Castle game. Weather may play a big key with heavy rain possible Friday night from the hurricane, IMO Castle must be able to throw the ball to beat Reitz. Looking forward to another good one.

Were they exaggerated? Or is Castle still untested? You could probably make a case that Reitz will be the first team they face who actually plays defense - not to mention that it just might be the best defense the area has seen in a while. Castle went from opening against a solid TH North for years, to a TH South that generally made Evansville North look good at the start of every season. Then it is anyone's guess whether New Albany is any kind of measure this year. I always feel like their program (New Albany) is on the rise, but it never seems to get there. No doubt I have been impressed with the numbers this Castle group has put up, but I don't think anyone has delusions that they will have a third 40+ performance this week. Hope the weather provides them a window to have a good game - eager to see how it plays out.

Edited by StrongSide
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StrongSide said:

Were they exaggerated? Or is Castle still untested? You could probably make a case that Reitz will be the first team they face who actually plays defense - not to mention that it just might be the best defense the area has seen in a while. Castle went from opening against a solid TH North for years, to a TH South that generally made Evansville North look good at the start of every season. Then it is anyone's guess whether New Albany is any kind of measure this year. I always feel like their program (New Albany) is on the rise, but it never seems to get there. No doubt I have been impressed with the numbers this Castle group has put up, but I don't think anyone has delusions that they will have a third 40+ performance this week. Hope the weather provides them a window to have a good game - eager to see how it plays out.

I believe what shocks me most about this Castle team is their lack of defense. They have always been known as one of the toughest defensive teams in the SIAC, and it seems this year, they are just trying to out score their opponents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evansville Reitz (2-0) at Castle (2-0)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Castle Field.
COACHES: Andy Hape, 41-10 in 5th year at Evansville Reitz. Doug Hurt, 88-43 in 12th year at Castle.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Evansville Reitz, 65.2, 80th overall, 19th in Class 4A. Castle, 63.04, 85th overall, 16th in Class 5A.
LAST OUTING: Evansville Reitz defeated Owensboro Catholic (Ky.), 34-0. Castle defeated New Albany, 56-49.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Evansville Reitz 0-0, Castle 1-3.
SERIES LAST 30 YEARS: Evansville Reitz, 22-16.
LAST MEETING: Castle, 25-22, Sep. 2, 2016.
PREDICTION: Evansville Reitz, 38-35.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the remnants of Harvey will move out of the immediate Evansville area prior to kick-off and we can enjoy a rain-free evening for the Week 1 of SIAC match-ups.  With the cool temp it could be a very pleasant evening.   Assuming it clears off, I predict:

Central vs. Bosse.  As the AD of EVSC ADs, I predict a kinder & gentler Coach Owens vs. the weaker EVSC schools this year, so the Bears will ease off the throttle once Tor'Jon gets his 300 yds. and coast to a 47-0 win against the over-matched Bulldogs.

Memorial vs. North.  This will be the best D-Line the Huskies have faced all year, and they struggled to sustain much on O against Henderson Co. last week.  Huskies will have to focus on stopping Combs, who exploded against Daviess County last week.  Huskies have a good QB in Wheeler and a solid RB, but Lindauer has too many weapons and the Tigers win 34-10.

Mater Dei vs. Harrison.  The Cats had a nice OT win last week and finally get a bit of a breather after two tough games.  Mater Dei 31 - Harrison 13.

Castle vs. Reitz.  Was it last year that someone from Castle sent a cake out to the Hill after the Knights defeated the Mighty Ps?  Castle has scored a lot of points so far, but wet grass and tough Reitz D will ground Air Castle.  Reitz takes care of business 24-10 and the eyes of the SIAC shift to the much-anticipated showdown with Central next week. 

Stay healthy and safe everybody.   Don't forget a towel for the bleachers.  Nothing worse than a wet arse'! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Zuberx6 said:

Does Castle Have Turf this year?  Seems like I saw they were getting it.

No.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Reitz wins this year, defense is lights out ,like to think Castle can win ,but the panthers look awful good on defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, knights1 said:

I think Reitz wins this year, defense is lights out ,like to think Castle can win ,but the panthers look awful good on defense.

Reitz pulls out the win, but the pass defense was exposed tonight. Reitz gave up way too many big plays in the passing game, something to worry about for sure going forward. If you would have told me going in we give up 33 points, no way do I think we win. Castle is going to be very exciting to watch this year, offense can sore with anyone. Reitz running game was great, Sargent was outstanding, especially in the second half. Reitz certainly didn't help themselves by dropping so many passes, but still anytime you can come out of Paradise with a win I will take it. Another great Reitz - Castle game for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Castle really impressed me last night! Didn't hink it would be so close.

Edited by husky1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a question for everyone who likely knows more than I do about how stats are reported. I am not at all trying to minimize what these kids do week in and week out, but some of the stats I see reported appear to be all over the board. It seems that there are a couple of schools that don't understand the rule for reporting defensive tackle stats. Again, I'm not implying overt cheating, just that I don't think everyone is on the same page. For example, the number of tackles reported by Mater Dei in their loss to Lutheran North doesnt make sense. MD is an amazing program, with great kids and coaches. I'm just trying to understand the numbers. MD reported 41solo and 54 assisted tackles for an amazing total of 95. If you do the math and consider the rules for counting tackles as stated on Max Preps, it just wasn't possible. LN ran 59 plays from scrimmage, received 4 kicks, 3 punts, and 3 interceptions. From my calculations that means there were 69 plays were MD had a chance to record a tackle. Subtract the 5 where LN scored, and that leaves 64. I don't have passing stats for LN, but if we assume 5 incomplete passes by LN that leaves 59 plays for MD to record a tackle. They claimed 41 solos, so no other tackles can be reported for those plays. That leaves 18 plays for MD to record 54 assisted tackles. The rules state that only 2 players can be credited for an assist on any given play. That would mean that the maximum number possible would have been 36. 18 extra tackles found there way to the stats. If LN threw more than 5 incomplete passes, ran out of bounds without being tackled, or took a knee to run out the clock, this number is even larger. Of course, fewer incompletions would give them a chance for a few more tackles, but it is clear, that unless I'm missing something, things aren't accurate. MD is a great program, and I'm only using this example because the the game was a recent one. I saw it with a team or 2 last year as well. These kids that bust their humps on defense don't get nearly the recognition as the offensive players, and many look at these stats for motivation. End of season recognition can also depend on these stats. Just my thoughts.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, husky1 said:

Just a question for everyone who likely knows more than I do about how stats are reported. I am not at all trying to minimize what these kids do week in and week out, but some of the stats I see reported appear to be all over the board. It seems that there are a couple of schools that don't understand the rule for reporting defensive tackle stats. Again, I'm not implying overt cheating, just that I don't think everyone is on the same page. For example, the number of tackles reported by Mater Dei in their loss to Lutheran North doesnt make sense. MD is an amazing program, with great kids and coaches. I'm just trying to understand the numbers. MD reported 41solo and 54 assisted tackles for an amazing total of 95. If you do the math and consider the rules for counting tackles as stated on Max Preps, it just wasn't possible. LN ran 59 plays from scrimmage, received 4 kicks, 3 punts, and 3 interceptions. From my calculations that means there were 69 plays were MD had a chance to record a tackle. Subtract the 5 where LN scored, and that leaves 64. I don't have passing stats for LN, but if we assume 5 incomplete passes by LN that leaves 59 plays for MD to record a tackle. They claimed 41 solos, so no other tackles can be reported for those plays. That leaves 18 plays for MD to record 54 assisted tackles. The rules state that only 2 players can be credited for an assist on any given play. That would mean that the maximum number possible would have been 36. 18 extra tackles found there way to the stats. If LN threw more than 5 incomplete passes, ran out of bounds without being tackled, or took a knee to run out the clock, this number is even larger. Of course, fewer incompletions would give them a chance for a few more tackles, but it is clear, that unless I'm missing something, things aren't accurate. MD is a great program, and I'm only using this example because the the game was a recent one. I saw it with a team or 2 last year as well. These kids that bust their humps on defense don't get nearly the recognition as the offensive players, and many look at these stats for motivation. End of season recognition can also depend on these stats. Just my thoughts.

I am willing to bet that a vast majority of HS stats in all sports are incorrect. Some are incorrect due to human error, but I'm guessing half are incorrect due to flat out trying to make players look good. Thats why I you can't really give much credence to post season awards/teams, especially on the local level. Not to mention the politics involved with those teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, husky1 said:

Just a question for everyone who likely knows more than I do about how stats are reported. I am not at all trying to minimize what these kids do week in and week out, but some of the stats I see reported appear to be all over the board. It seems that there are a couple of schools that don't understand the rule for reporting defensive tackle stats. Again, I'm not implying overt cheating, just that I don't think everyone is on the same page. For example, the number of tackles reported by Mater Dei in their loss to Lutheran North doesnt make sense. MD is an amazing program, with great kids and coaches. I'm just trying to understand the numbers. MD reported 41solo and 54 assisted tackles for an amazing total of 95. If you do the math and consider the rules for counting tackles as stated on Max Preps, it just wasn't possible. LN ran 59 plays from scrimmage, received 4 kicks, 3 punts, and 3 interceptions. From my calculations that means there were 69 plays were MD had a chance to record a tackle. Subtract the 5 where LN scored, and that leaves 64. I don't have passing stats for LN, but if we assume 5 incomplete passes by LN that leaves 59 plays for MD to record a tackle. They claimed 41 solos, so no other tackles can be reported for those plays. That leaves 18 plays for MD to record 54 assisted tackles. The rules state that only 2 players can be credited for an assist on any given play. That would mean that the maximum number possible would have been 36. 18 extra tackles found there way to the stats. If LN threw more than 5 incomplete passes, ran out of bounds without being tackled, or took a knee to run out the clock, this number is even larger. Of course, fewer incompletions would give them a chance for a few more tackles, but it is clear, that unless I'm missing something, things aren't accurate. MD is a great program, and I'm only using this example because the the game was a recent one. I saw it with a team or 2 last year as well. These kids that bust their humps on defense don't get nearly the recognition as the offensive players, and many look at these stats for motivation. End of season recognition can also depend on these stats. Just my thoughts.

I am willing to bet that a vast majority of HS stats in all sports are incorrect. Some are incorrect due to human error, but I'm guessing half are incorrect due to flat out trying to make players look good. Thats why I you can't really give much credence to post season awards/teams, especially on the local level. Not to mention the politics involved with those teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Castle is better than I thought.  Could be dangerous inthe tourney.  If the RZ defense is great, then the Castle offense is better.  They torched them.  Castle's D has a talent deficit.  The LBs are quality, but they can't do it alone.

imjustsayin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Castle is better than I thought.  Could be dangerous inthe tourney.  If the RZ defense is great, then the Castle offense is better.  They torched them.  Castle's D has a talent deficit.  The LBs are quality, but they can't do it alone.

imjustsayin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't doubt it if it was just for the fact that the guy doing the stats probably has no idea what he's doing. Or maybe it's to pad stats to make their players have the best stats. Heck I feel like a lot of programs have a play where it's a gang tackle and nobody knows who to give it to so they pick their main linebacker (DL, etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't doubt it if it was just for the fact that the guy doing the stats probably has no idea what he's doing. Or maybe it's to pad stats to make their players have the best stats. Heck I feel like a lot of programs have a play where it's a gang tackle and nobody knows who to give it to so they pick their main linebacker (DL, etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After week 3 it is clear that next weekend will go a long way in deciding who will win the SIAC. I wish the Central Reitz game was Saturday so all of us parents from other teams wouldn't have to miss it! Being a North parent its hard to admit it, but Central has a better chance than I've ever seen to knock off Reitz. It's going to be crazy. Stop Evans, win the game. It's that simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After week 3 it is clear that next weekend will go a long way in deciding who will win the SIAC. I wish the Central Reitz game was Saturday so all of us parents from other teams wouldn't have to miss it! Being a North parent its hard to admit it, but Central has a better chance than I've ever seen to knock off Reitz. It's going to be crazy. Stop Evans, win the game. It's that simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×