Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big 8 2019: The 40th and Final Season

As long as I can remember, in my 30 plus years of watching Lincoln sports, the Big 8 conference is all I’ve ever known to be home. And “home”  seemed the most suitable of a word I could think of. I credit this conference for so many memories of my youth, whether as a player or a fan. The rivalries, the classic games, the great players that have come and gone, the many short road games to Washington and Princeton that you rarely missed. Even the long trips between Vincennes and Mount Vernon, Boonville, and Tell City (back in the day), the people of these towns gained such familiarity with each other and their respective communities. The layout of each city, where to park, what gate to enter at the stadium/arena, where to grab a bite at the local’s favorite spot(s), where to maybe grab a beer afterward, what fans you liked, what fans you couldn’t stand...for many of us we’ve learned like the back of our hands through the years. 

So in a sense, it’s saddening to watch it end, but also incredibly exciting for what this final season will hold in all sports, football in particular. Because for football,  2019 really is the end of the road. No more guaranteed annual meetings that you might still see with basketball or baseball. Each team, whether SIAC or PAC bound, will have a full (or near full) conference schedule beginning in 2020 leaving little to no room for potential rematches. For this reason, I feel we could see the most competitive conference season in recent memory. Teams who are normally competing for a title will be vying harder than ever for the final Big 8 championship. Even teams in the bottom half will have something extra to play for. And I fully expect Mount Carmel to play with the biggest chip on their shoulder. Their break-up with the conference wasn’t exactly smooth. 

But it should be the usual suspects in the upper tier...Boonville, Jasper, VL. I’m going to call Boonville the slight favorite again with the return of their senior QB Phillips, WR Scarborough, and several key linemen, plus the momentum of a 10-1 season a year ago. It’s hard to see much of a drop off from the Pioneers. Jasper, meanwhile, has a new head coach and VL a new young QB. Both are fully capable of unseating Boonville at the top though.

1. Boonville

2. Jasper

3. Vincennes

4. Princeton 

5. Mt Vernon

6. Mt Carmel

7. Washington 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DaveMosbey said:

Mount Carmel wont be a member the final season. I believe they still play Lincoln, Princeton and Mount Vernon this season  but have dropped Jasper, Boonville and Washington.

Foot in my mouth...I knew this. Thanks

I guess when I get to rambling brain lapses like these happen lol.

Edited by SEAL_63

I really hate that SR will not be playing Jasper after this season.  Yes, they have given us our whoopings, but it has taught our team alot about where the holes are at and what works early on in the season.  Outside of that, its a rivalry game that everyone can be excited about and a heck of a gate fee that both schools benefit from when being the home team.  I would have liked them to join the PAC, but understand why the SIAC was a good fit even if it means more travel.

On 8/1/2019 at 7:56 AM, 2017statechamps said:

I really hate that SR will not be playing Jasper after this season.  Yes, they have given us our whoopings, but it has taught our team alot about where the holes are at and what works early on in the season.  Outside of that, its a rivalry game that everyone can be excited about and a heck of a gate fee that both schools benefit from when being the home team.  I would have liked them to join the PAC, but understand why the SIAC was a good fit even if it means more travel.

I would think both Heritage Hills and Southridge would want to scrimmage Jasper.

I know HH will probably replace Washington since they will be on the regular season schedule with someone and Jasper would be a great choice for  the scrimmage opponent but Suthridge fans probably feel the same way.