Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 4 of July/1st two Weeks of August Dilemma

3 hours ago, Titan32 said:

If an official has to quarantine due to being in the “same game” as a known positive...somebody is doing it wrong.

Based on what I have heard from the county health department, I would agree with this conclusion. 

I got tested (negative) and it all revolves around ‘close contact’ by the CDC. Fifteen minutes or more within 6 ft. (2 yards) and unmasked. And they check close contacts 48 hours before and 48 hours after symptoms appear. If a player  wakes up Monday with symptoms, everyone from Friday nights game would be outside that window. 

Translate the 15 minutes to football, let’s assume 150 plays at 6 seconds apiece, which amounts to 15 minutes total. I think it would be an extreme stretch to qualify an opponent as a ‘close contact.’ They have to be within 2 yards the entire play every play.

Scientifically, the bus ride, sideline, locker room, and huddle are more dangerous for viral transmission than playing a down of football. It is transmitted like the flu. I would be more nervous about transmission playing a team with a MRSA outbreak transmitted skin to skin.

From a referee standpoint, I would wear a mask for pre-game coach and captain meetings including the coin toss. A white hat is more likely to catch something from his line judge or umpire than a player.

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 1