Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is ND about to give up its in state recruiting advantage?

Guest DT

All signs indicate  a full fledged move into the ACC for the Notre Dame football program.  Frankly, I like the move.  Therer is no room left in the Big Ten for another all time great blue blood program.  Notre Dame has built one of the all time best college football records thru shrewd scheduling and by controlling its own destiny.  The Big Ten is now a power gauntlet and the Irish would likely be worn down after going toe to toe with the Big Tens best over a full season.

The ACC gives the Irish a better opportunity to remain relevent in the national spotlight.  And over the years, I think many of us non Domers have come to the realization that ND is not a mid west school, its an east coast New York  oriented school with a national draw.

With regards to recruiting, Notre Dame has routinely cherry picked the very best high school football talent that Indiana has to offer, year after year.  Two of Indianas most recent finest, Blake Fisher and Joey Tanona, are future Irish offensive linemen with probable NFL futures.

But with NDs geographic shift to the east, wiill young Indiana boys growing up in the Hoosier Heartland lose their comnnection to the Irish football program?  With rare games against old rivals Michigan, MSU and Purdue, Indiana kids will not see the Irish on TV like they used to.  Or maybe they will just tune out the ND-GT, ND-WF, ND-NCST games due to a lack of interest.

I believe this will indeed impact Notre Dames recruiting efforts in Indiana, and IU and PU should be waiting in the wings to pounce when the opportunity comes.  It is rare indeed for PU to beat out ND for an in state kid, and almost imnpossible for IU to do the same.  

ND is slowly but gradually losing its grip on Indiana and the Midwest, and that is clearly by choice.  Indiana will never be the fertile football recruiting ground as is many other states, but it is the geographic home of the school, and the program.  Fisher and Tanona may be the beginnning of the end of the blue chip pipeline to South Bend.  For Hoosier and Boiler fans, there could be nothing better.

1 hour ago, DT said:

All signs indicate  a full fledged move into the ACC for the Notre Dame football program.  Frankly, I like the move.  Therer is no room left in the Big Ten for another all time great blue blood program.  Notre Dame has built one of the all time best college football records thru shrewd scheduling and by controlling its own destiny.  The Big Ten is now a power gauntlet and the Irish would likely be worn down after going toe to toe with the Big Tens best over a full season.

The ACC gives the Irish a better opportunity to remain relevent in the national spotlight.  And over the years, I think many of us non Domers have come to the realization that ND is not a mid west school, its an east coast New York  oriented school with a national draw.

With regards to recruiting, Notre Dame has routinely cherry picked the very best high school football talent that Indiana has to offer, year after year.  Two of Indianas most recent finest, Blake Fisher and Joey Tanona, are future Irish offensive linemen with probable NFL futures.

But with NDs geographic shift to the east, wiill young Indiana boys growing up in the Hoosier Heartland lose their comnnection to the Irish football program?  With rare games against old rivals Michigan, MSU and Purdue, Indiana kids will not see the Irish on TV like they used to.  Or maybe they will just tune out the ND-GT, ND-WF, ND-NCST games due to a lack of interest.

I believe this will indeed impact Notre Dames recruiting efforts in Indiana, and IU and PU should be waiting in the wings to pounce when the opportunity comes.  It is rare indeed for PU to beat out ND for an in state kid, and almost imnpossible for IU to do the same.  

ND is slowly but gradually losing its grip on Indiana and the Midwest, and that is clearly by choice.  Indiana will never be the fertile football recruiting ground as is many other states, but it is the geographic home of the school, and the program.  Fisher and Tanona may be the beginnning of the end of the blue chip pipeline to South Bend.  For Hoosier and Boiler fans, there could be nothing better.

Good post. The Irish certainly have plenty to think about moving forward. 

You could very well be right and I may be wrong, but come 2021, Notre Dame is back to playing their independent schedule. This is a one time thing. 

National draw yes, but probably more Chicago than New York.

Indiana kids grow up loving Notre Dame football. I'm not sure moving to the ACC will impact their desire to play for the Irish. I don't think we'll have to worry about Notre Dame football joining the ACC for good though. But who knows, after this year, the administration may decide to go another direction.