Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Eligibility Rule Changes - 8/25 Board Meeting

Can someone a lot more knowledgeable than I please explain what the Exec Committee did last week regarding eligibility rules?  Did they make exceptions temporarily due to Covid?

For example, multiple athletes at Hammond Morton became eligible to compete at Merrillville after Hammond canceled all Fall sports. 

I'm happy for the students that they get a chance to play their senior season. How did this happen and happen so quickly?  Also, it clearly appears to be for athletic purposes. So once again,  did they change the rules for this season only? Was because Hammond canceled and this allowed all student athletes to transfer.

13 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Can someone a lot more knowledgeable than I please explain what the Exec Committee did last week regarding eligibility rules?  Did they make exceptions temporarily due to Covid?

For example, multiple athletes at Hammond Morton became eligible to compete at Merrillville after Hammond canceled all Fall sports. 

I'm happy for the students that they get a chance to play their senior season. How did this happen and happen so quickly?  Also, it clearly appears to be for athletic purposes. So once again,  did they change the rules for this season only? Was because Hammond canceled and this allowed all student athletes to transfer.

If both schools sign off on it then it's generally approved. A large percentage of all transfers every year are approved with no sitting out. It's very rare for the IHSAA to step in when both schools sign off, but it does happen. The Gordon situation at North Central a couple years ago was an example. They must have had compelling inside information on that one. They may be aware of WHY these transfers are actually happening but chose to not interfere since both schools signed off. If I understand how the process generally works, this is really no different.