Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mid-State Week 7 - 2023

This week was weird. Very weird. It proved the Mid-State Conference's overall balance: I wouldn't say there's too big of a gap between 1 and 8. Maybe a disappointing result for me last week, but the conference has been really fun this year and I'm gonna be here for it when I make the quick drive Friday to watch the Quakers take on the Grizzly Cubs in Plainfield.

POWER RANKINGS

1. Plainfield (5-1) (1)

The Quakers had a disappointing road loss to Decatur Central, but I fully expect the Quakers to bounce back and learn from this missed opportunity. This is the kind of loss that builds experience for a young team and a young coach. I still have them ranked #1 in my power rankings for this reason.

2. Decatur Central (4-2) (4)

An impressive comeback win over Plainfield catapulted the Hawks to #2 in the Mid-State power rankings. The Hawks proved themselves a legitimate contender in Sectional 13, which may just be the best sectional in the 5A South.

3. Whiteland (3-3) (5)

Whiteland dominated in an impressive win over Martinsville, which served as revenge for last year's surprising Arties win.

4. Franklin (4-2) (6)

Franklin gets a close victory over a decent Mooresville team. The rematch against Whiteland in the sectional should be a good one.

5. Martinsville (3-3) (3)

Martinsville went to Whiteland and got beaten. Not a remarkable loss but one in which the Arties will remember to help prepare them for their likely game against East Central in the sectional (spoiler: no chance against EC)

6. Perry Meridian (2-4) (2)

Whoa.... whoa is all I have to say. Perry looked like a different version of themselves this year... only to let down defensively against Greenwood. Warren Central will be licking their chops... watch out.

7. Greenwood (4-2) (8)

I know, I know. Mooresville kicked their butt. I know. But I have to rank the Woodmen above solely for the fact that they've won games against Martinsville and Perry Meridian while the Woodmen are the Pioneers only conference win this year. Great, memorable win for the Woodmen who are off to a surprising 4-2 start. That offense can be POTENT at times.

8. Mooresville (2-4) (7)

Mooresville comes in at the dreaded 8th ranking this week, however I'm not totally convinced that this is the worst team in the conference. I can see the Pioneers picking up another conference win or two this year before heading into their sectional, where they will probably lose.

WEEK 7 PREDICTIONS

Plainfield 22, Franklin 20

Close battle with moderate scoring similar to how a lot of Plainfield and Franklin games have gone this year. Game of the Week in the conference.

Whiteland 23, Mooresville 13

Whiteland should out-man Mooresville in this one. I wouldn't expect too much scoring here.

Martinsville 28, Perry Meridian 27

This can be a fun game that I expect to be close. Can go either way.

Decatur Central 40, Greenwood 28

Greenwood's offense against a shaky at times Decatur Central defense. The Woodmen will continue to gel throughout the year in the passing game. However, Decatur's offense shouldn't have a problem with the Woodmen defense.