Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Carmel wins the MIC

Irishman

Congrats to the Greyhounds on the win. Still a great year for my alma mater, with just 2 losses. I was shocked to see Coach Beyers’ postgame comments about his team. There is a line you do not cross in coaching,; ripping your kids in public. And we are still talking about kids here, and again, kids with just two losses. It happens, kids have off nights. Rally your team for the next one and the road ahead. I am afraid these comments made publicly may have the opposite effect. I hope not. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/02/15/indiana-hs-basketball-carmel-tops-warren-central-mic-title/2857604002/

FTA:

“There is no leadership on this team,” Beyers said. “There’s no one willing to take over and say, ‘This is what we need to do.’ There’s no leadership on the floor. We have eight seniors and they lead by example, but there is no vocal leadership on the team. Much different from last year. You don’t want to compare teams, but this team doesn’t have the fire.”

We can certainly debate whether or not his comments were appropriate or not but Coach Beyers is an extremely successful coach. Besides, what he said isn't necessarily way out of line. He did commend their leadership by example but he's trying to pull an extra level out of them. No one spends more time around these players than him, so if he feels this is the best way to approach this then that's that. 

If it has the opposite effect, as you said, then it really just proves his point. I don't think it will. I think you're actually about to see the best Warren has looked all season going into sectionals.