Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Inadvertent Whistle

Bobref

Question

In another context I joked that, with all the talk of officiating while masked, and using electronic whistles, it might be appropriate to refresh everyone’s recollection as to inadvertent whistle administration ... because we may see more than normal. So, what happens when one of the officials loses whistle discipline, and suffers premature exhalation?

The rules are pretty clear, but sometimes the officials can be a little fuzzy on them, only because this is a topic that we all avoid like the plague. But if someone has already screwed up, the last thing you want to do is blow the administration.

If an inadvertent whistle sounds while the ball is alive:

• while the ball is in flight following a legal kick, a legal pass, or a snap, the down is replayed at the previous spot.
  • while the ball is loose following a backward pass, fumble, illegal forward pass or illegal kick, the team last in possession may elect to replay the down at the previous spot, or take the ball at the spot where possession is lost and have the down count.
  • while the ball is in possession of a player, the team in possession may accept the results of the play at the dead-ball spot and have the down count, or replay the down.
  • But keep in mind all of the above is subject to one overriding rule: if there is a foul during the down and the penalty is accepted, the inadvertent whistle is wiped out, and the penalty is administered as determined by the basic spot, as usual.

You’d be amazed how many flags get thrown on plays where there was an inadvertent whistle. 😉

One other observation about the dreaded inadvertent whistle: any official who says they’ve never had an IW is either lying ... or a rookie. But when you do it, you will remember it forever. I still remember my last one: October 23, 1992.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 answer to this question

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

One other observation about the dreaded inadvertent whistle: any official who says they’ve never had an IW is either lying ... or a rookie. But when you do it, you will remember it forever. I still remember my last one: October 23, 1992.

October 14, 2016 - Kickoff. Runner is hit by multiple defenders. When the pile hits the ground, I blow the whistle. Next thing I know, another R player picks up the ball and runs about 50 yards before he is tackled. As the HL, I get to feel the eyes of R's coach burning through me, as I give him his options, one of which is not getting the ball at the other end of the field. Needless to say, those plays stay with you. 😟

• Thanks 1