Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Punt return

Purdue Pete

Question

2 questions:

1.  Is there a “halo” rule for the punt receiver? Seemed like it was violated once in the bluffton Eastside game.  RT retained possession so no harm no foul but just curious.

2.  Gunner on the punt team must’ve been watching the ball / punt cause he wasn’t watching the blocker.  Got decleated with a block (not blind side).  Big hit.  To me that is not a penalty as the block was not parallel to or towards the receiving team’s end zone.

2 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

2 questions:

1.  Is there a “halo” rule for the punt receiver? Seemed like it was violated once in the bluffton Eastside game.  RT retained possession so no harm no foul but just curious.

2.  Gunner on the punt team must’ve been watching the ball / punt cause he wasn’t watching the blocker.  Got decleated with a block (not blind side).  Big hit.  To me that is not a penalty as the block was not parallel to or towards the receiving team’s end zone.

There is no halo rule. It only states you have to give him an opportunity to catch the ball, but you can hit him legally as soon as he does.

Your BSB reference is from the NFL. Each level has their own rules and some are very different. In NFHS BSB only has to be forceful contact who doesn't have an opportunity to see it coming and defend himself. They are often going in opposite directions and the blocker is often moving back toward their own goal line, but those are not mentioned in the rule.

4 minutes ago, JustRules said:

There is no halo rule. It only states you have to give him an opportunity to catch the ball, but you can hit him legally as soon as he does.

Your BSB reference is from the NFL. Each level has their own rules and some are very different. In NFHS BSB only has to be forceful contact who doesn't have an opportunity to see it coming and defend himself. They are often going in opposite directions and the blocker is often moving back toward their own goal line, but those are not mentioned in the rule.

Thanks.  The “bsb” was called “helmet to helmet” in the game which I didn’t see but either way I assume would been a 15 yard penalty.