Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional Semi’s Point Spreads

On 10/27/2021 at 2:43 PM, Irishman said:

He has WC at -24 at LC. That means he has WC as a favored to win by 24 points. so the minus and the number is the spread he has set up. In Vegas style, the spread is supposed to tempt people into placing a bet. The lines can adjust based on betting trends as the week goes on. You have the option of picking the favorite, but if you do, they have to match the spread you placed your bet at. You can also bet for the under dog to cover the spread; so if I take LC to cover, and they lose by less than 24, my bet pays out. Now, taking the -6.5....the actual spread is 7.

Hope that helps

I think that's what a lot of folks don't necessarily factor into the spreads.  They aren't specifically stating they think WC, in this case, will win by three TDs and a field goal.  They think they can get more folks to bet on the game with the 24-point spread and keep it tight enough that it's not an automatic winner for someone that takes that line.  That's why, as you watch the spreads during the week, while they can certainly change because of news like someone getting sick or a player being yanked before the game, it is often a question of the psychology, with mathematical backing, to entice more folks to make the bets one way or the other.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Quick question that maybe somebody could help me out with, according to john Harrell's site, it says Cathedral will be away for the sectional championship next week regardless of Decatur or THS winning. I realize it will probably be Decatur, but if it was THS, wouldn't Cathedral still be home? They are on the bottom of the bracket and both teams would have played the same number of away games thus far (which is the rules according to the IHSAA for determining sectional championship host). This is the same thing for Zionsville in their sectional. Was wondering if somebody could clear that up. Maybe John Harrell's site is wrong or maybe that is the correct way it is with these 5 team sectionals with the teams who had to play the extra game. 

Hoping Harrison will be playing at home that next week and it will be a moot point. 🙂