Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Coaching Changes Questions

Just a general couple questions...

When is it to late for coaches to move on from current programs?  When do schools like to have positions filled for the upcoming season?

Reason I ask is there isn't  much moving around in the coaching scene so far this off season....especially in the Northern parts of the state

Thoughts/Opinions

The hard part is the teaching scenarios that go with the coaching openings. Some schools cant move on their coaching search until they know what teaching openings they are going to have for the coming year. 

As far as when is too late, I think once you get into April, due to summer planning and offseason program lost time, thats the absolute latest most coaches would be interested. Ideally, most coaches would like to be in place by early second semester to get their offseason rolling and start building those relationships with the kids. Especially now that Indiana allows spring ball during limited contact periods. With the new spring rules, you can have a foundation started prior to summer which is huge for new coaches. 

• Like 2

Teaching plays a huge part in the process.  It is much harder in a small school setting to provide job availability especially early in the second semester.

I was hired at NK Mid April.  I felt like I was way behind from a football standpoint.  The difference with my situation would be I was already a teacher in the building and had been a defensive coordinator on the team so i had already had an opportunity to work with our kids.  Also factored in would be i took over for a coach that was retiring rather than one that had been fired.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, Coach Chambers said:

Teaching plays a huge part in the process.  It is much harder in a small school setting to provide job availability especially early in the second semester.

I was hired at NK Mid April.  I felt like I was way behind from a football standpoint.  The difference with my situation would be I was already a teacher in the building and had been a defensive coordinator on the team so i had already had an opportunity to work with our kids.  Also factored in would be i took over for a coach that was retiring rather than one that had been fired.  

Some programs that hire a new coach out of system will probably revamp the staff and as the clock ticks to getting closer to season (I Know its only mid december LOL) im sure they want positions filled asap!  Thats why some of these openings that are current and have closing dates extended into January  and February will have to be in fast forward mode.