Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

West Lafayette vs Central Catholic

8 minutes ago, Tippy said:

Will LCC stop WL from scoring over 40 points?  Not the great game it was a few years back!  WL 49 LCC 7  Looks like another 9-0 season for WL.  LCC will probably end up 5-4.

If LCC's OLBs and DE are performing really well, they stand a chance of keeping it under 40.  If not, it'll be ugly.  Against Harrison, WL was most successful with 1) hurry-up offense, 2) sweeps on motion, and 3) QB keepers up the middle on delayed pass plays or off of fake sweep.  They struggled running between the tackles except for the aforementioned QB keepers.  Mullis put up about 125 of WL 210 or so rushing yards in that game, so making sure that someone spies him on passes is a necessity.  Similarly, when the back in motion crosses in front of him, someone needs to spy Mullis on the backside.  On offense, Harrison had lots of success in the middle with the power back, but ended up switching from that in the second half ... not sure why.  LCC may have better passing attack success than Harrison as I think Metzger probably has better read action than Henderson, although he's less mobile, physically, than Henderson. 

Big issue for LCC will be making sure not to self-destruct.  Harrison had four turnovers in the second half alone against WL with two coming in the red zone and one coming on a kickoff.  You can't give away four second half possessions against WL and expect to win, although even with those four giveaways, Harrison still kept it interesting into the 4th quarter.  Even though WL didn't score after the fumbled kickoff after the WL TD, you could feel a momentum shift happen that Harrison never reversed.  

As for season record, I think LCC is looking at 7-2 or possibly 6-3 pending who they match up with in the HC crossover game.  Still waiting to see how Tipton fares against Cass, but I think LCC.  Saw LCC scrimmage against Harrison and was impressed with their ability to hang early on and counterpunch.  Harrison's size and depth though wore them down as the game went on.  Realize that I think Harrison is suiting up just under 90 players, so there's a definitive depth there.  LCC has just under 55 on their roster, which is pretty good for an SF'd 2A team, but about 15 of those are freshmen.