Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Breaking the huddle

Cappy

Question

What is the rule when breaking the huddle with more than 11 players. If I am interpreting what I read correctly, as long as the replaced player(s) run straight off the field there is no foul? What would make this a foul? I've read a 3-5 second allowance is sometimes used.  Also if a no huddle team subs and the replaced players do not get directly off the field does that become a foul at some point prior to the ball being snapped? This is more for my own curiosity, not really anything I have seen. TIA 

1 answer to this question

14 minutes ago, Cappy said:

What is the rule when breaking the huddle with more than 11 players. If I am interpreting what I read correctly, as long as the replaced player(s) run straight off the field there is no foul? What would make this a foul? I've read a 3-5 second allowance is sometimes used.  Also if a no huddle team subs and the replaced players do not get directly off the field does that become a foul at some point prior to the ball being snapped? This is more for my own curiosity, not really anything I have seen. TIA 

It is not a foul to break the huddle with more than 11 players under the high school code. The substitution rule requires that a player who is being replaced begin to leave the field within 3 seconds of being replaced. He is considered as having been replaced when the incoming substitute gets to the huddle, assumes a position in the formation, or communicates with a teammate. If the replaced player fails to do so, it’s a dead ball illegal substitution foul, 5 yds. If the replaced player begins to leave timely, but doesn’t get off the field in time, it’s a live ball illegal substitution foul, also 5 yds.

• Like 1