• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/18/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted    Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach  Cloverdale: Tony Meyer  New Albany: Sean Coultis Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant  Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones Brian Hooker Promoted  
NLCTigerFan07

NLC 2016

555 posts in this topic

Discussions based on the 2016 NLC football season

I didn't see a thread already started and I wanted to discuss some items for next year!

First, it sounds like Warsaw will be getting field turf, but it's not a done deal yet. I think someone else mentioned Northridge was looking into it as well? Anyone with insight into either of these?

Also, in regards to Goshen changing their nickname, I read how Fort Wayne North Side does not have plans to replace all athletic uniforms and equipment all at once, so there will still be uniforms containing the "Redskins" nickname. Has Goshen addressed this at all?

I believe Goshen started a few years back replacing uniforms that were void of a mascot.  I think the ones that I have seen have said Goshen and no reference to the old Redskins nickname.

Plymouth will be renovating the home grandstands, press box, ticket booths and bathrooms.  No plans to do anything to the field or visitor bleachers at this point.  Work has already started on the construction of the storage building at the northwest corner of the field.  Plymouth will not host a boys or girls track meet this season due to the construction.

No need to change names now that the Washington Redskins won in court?

Will the NLC keep or eject Elkhart High School from the conference when Memorial and Central combine in the next couple of years? The combination of the two schools would create a school of more than 3700 which would be 400 more than Penn and 1600 more that Warsaw (largest school in the NLC). The school would be nearly 2900 students larger than Northwood and at least 2800 larger than Wawasee. It would make Elkhart High School the 3rd largest school in the state. Would the NIC take them in? Would this development spur the development of a new conference of larger schools and start a new realignment push? Would the NLC revert back to a 7 team conference and who would they likely go after to bring it back to 8 to replace Elkhart? Intriguing possibilities - if the talk going around Elkhart is true.

Will the NLC keep or eject Elkhart High School from the conference when Memorial and Central combine in the next couple of years? The combination of the two schools would create a school of more than 3700 which would be 400 more than Penn and 1600 more that Warsaw (largest school in the NLC). The school would be nearly 2900 students larger than Northwood and at least 2800 larger than Wawasee. It would make Elkhart High School the 3rd largest school in the state. Would the NIC take them in? Would this development spur the development of a new conference of larger schools and start a new realignment push? Would the NLC revert back to a 7 team conference and who would they likely go after to bring it back to 8 to replace Elkhart? Intriguing possibilities - if the talk going around Elkhart is true.

lmad-curtain.GIF

Give us Warsaw and EHS for Jimtown, Glenn, and Bremen.

I think if the NLC wanted any of those schools they would have joined the last time all the conferences had changes.  If NLC loses Elkhart then it might just be 7 schools again.

I think if the NLC wanted any of those schools they would have joined the last time all the conferences had changes. If NLC loses Elkhart then it might just be 7 schools again.

It was posited "if circumstances change", so you're observation is neither relevant or valid in that case.

I think if the NLC wanted any of those schools they would have joined the last time all the conferences had changes.  If NLC loses Elkhart then it might just be 7 schools again.

The movement is true and will eventually happen.

If I had to hazard a guess, "Elkhart" would remain as part of the NIC and the NLC would have to go with seven schools until an eighth can be considered and placed.

No hard information whatsoever, but i cannot imagine the NLC voting to keep a school of 3,600 students.

My two cents.

Bill B  :blink:

Edited by Bill B

So if they consolidate both Elkhart high schools, will they keep only 1 open? And would would happen or the other school be used for? And how long there have been 2 high schools in Elkhart?

In the fall of 1972 when Elkhart High School (est. 1872) was split into Elkhart Memorial High School and Elkhart Central High School, the former Elkhart High School building was renamed Elkhart Central High School and, according to the school board minutes, was to continue the traditions ("Blue Blazer" mascot, school colors, accomplishments) of the old Elkhart High School.

So will they need a new building or can they fit in one of the current ones?

So will they need a new building or can they fit in one of the current ones?

There would be no new building needed. A proposal being considered would be to put 10-12 at Elkhart Memorial, which is next to the Elkhart Area Career Center, an advanced educational/trades building. Elkhart Central would hold freshman for now, with the possibility of housing 7th and 8th graders. I could see 1 of the 3 middle schools closing completely or being used as a future academy program. Of the two high schools, Memorial has much more room to expand in years to come.

Again, things being considered, but far from a final blueprint.

Bill B. 

Give us Warsaw and EHS for Jimtown, Glenn, and Bremen.

Jimtown is a logical choice to replace Memorial and I could actually see them jumping on board.  Warsaw doesn't dominate enough in anything to be asked to move on.  They'll stay.

Bremen and Glenn are the odd ones out, and I think most of us knew this when they were taken into the NIC.  This might open the door for Marian to join these two, pull in a couple of others, and form their own conference.  Possibly with Riley and Washington.  Maybe pull LaVille back into the picture.

It appears there would definitely be another re-shuffling if the Elkhart merger happens!

Probably a stupid question, but do schools sign contracts when joining conferences thta they'll stay in for a certain amount of years???

Jimtown is a logical choice to replace Memorial and I could actually see them jumping on board.  Warsaw doesn't dominate enough in anything to be asked to move on.  They'll stay.

Bremen and Glenn are the odd ones out, and I think most of us knew this when they were taken into the NIC.  This might open the door for Marian to join these two, pull in a couple of others, and form their own conference.  Possibly with Riley and Washington.  Maybe pull LaVille back into the picture.

It appears there would definitely be another re-shuffling if the Elkhart merger happens!

Jimtown would be the odd one out. The NLC requires all member schools to participate in all IHSAA sponsored sports with the exception of gymnastics. Jimtown does not have swimming or soccer. Bremen has both and has been a past member of the NLC. Unless Jimtown adds two sports, and one I know they have no interest in adding, or unless the NLC changes their bylaws, then Bremen would be the best fit. I would wager that if a 3600-3700 student Elkhart High School enters the Northern Indiana Conference, Bremen, Jimtown, and Glenn may look to weigh their options and may express some interest in joining a new conference or attempting to form a new one.

As far as Warsaw goes, they dominate in most things in the NLC except for football. I agree they would stay in the NLC, but they have state caliber teams or individuals in cross country, soccer, swimming, basketball, tennis, golf, track, and wrestling just to name a few for both male and female (except wrestling of course). They have dominated this conference in the all sports trophy contest historically. You may be judging their athletic competence on their football futility.

Edited by Houndstooth_Hat

Jimtown would be the odd one out. The NLC requires all member schools to participate in all IHSAA sponsored sports with the exception of gymnastics. Jimtown does not have swimming or soccer. Bremen has both and has been a past member of the NLC. Unless Jimtown adds two sports, and one I know they have no interest in adding, or unless the NLC changes their bylaws, then Bremen would be the best fit. I would wager that if a 3600-3700 student Elkhart High School enters the Northern Indiana Conference, Bremen, Jimtown, and Glenn may look to weigh their options and may express some interest in joining a new conference or attempting to form a new one.

Yup, good call Houndstooth.  I didn't think about the required sport aspect.  But that would certainly limit the NLC's options somewhat.  I don't see Bremen going back to the NLC, but then I didn't see them going to the NIC either.  

Warsaw wrestling? Really

Warsaw wrestling? Really

As a team...no, but they routinely send kids down to the state tournament. More success in Warsaw wrestling than Warsaw football.

Warsaw does not "dominate" in most sports to be honest. Highly Successful? without question, but dominate no where close.  Because of our size, the all sports trophy is often our possession by shere numbers and sports availabe, but not in the "big" sports at all. For example, Having a nice year in boys hoops this year for sure, but Girls are way down. Since 2000, Plymouth has had more success than we have in both Girls and Boys basketball considering sectionals, and state titles(yes in 3A). Football speaks for it's self as you mentioned, and baseball many conference programs are much stronger than us today and in the past. With that said, your term "state caliber" is fair in many of the individual sports, such as cross country, golf, etc.. We also have had a nice run in soccer, which is due to many reasons in the community. With that all said, Warsaw is not going anywhere and will be forever known as a "basketball" school.

winning "all sports" trophies does not indicate dominance at all....it just means that they are near the top in all sports...I think it is fair to say that Warsaw athletics are by far the most "consistent" in the NLC, but they seem far from "dominant" imo

My reshuffling proposals wouldn't be based on perceived competitive ability, just enrollment. Resources over results. I'd like to see all of the north central 6A's and most of the "better" 5A's (maybe a 4A or two) in one conference (NIC) and the other 5A-competitive 3A's in another (NLC)... and the rest in that new conference.

Penn

Elkhart

Warsaw

Goshen

Mishawaka

Concord

Northridge

Plymouth

Northwood

Jimtown

Glenn

New Prairie

SB Adams

SB Washington

SB Riley

SB Clay

SB St Joe

Marian

Bremen

Wawasee

Edited by AverageAmericanMale

winning "all sports" trophies does not indicate dominance at all....it just means that they are near the top in all sports...I think it is fair to say that Warsaw athletics are by far the most "consistent" in the NLC, but they seem far from "dominant" imo

You are missing the point and splitting hairs. My point is that the earlier comment made that "Warsaw doesn't dominate enough in anything to be asked to move on" was not accurate. Well, they dominate the NLC in golf, cross country, tennis, track, basketball, and soccer and in these sports it is nearly year in and year out with a second place finish here and there or them battling another school with an equally outstanding program - like Northridge in cross country. That was all I was trying to get across.

You are missing the point and splitting hairs. My point is that the earlier comment made that "Warsaw doesn't dominate enough in anything to be asked to move on" was not accurate. Well, they dominate the NLC in golf, cross country, tennis, track, basketball, and soccer and in these sports it is nearly year in and year out with a second place finish here and there or them battling another school with an equally outstanding program - like Northridge in cross country. That was all I was trying to get across.

i think we have a different definition of "dominant" is all i was saying 

even in the "individual sports" they don't just JUMP out as having won conference championship after championship

dont believe me? look for yourself

http://www.nlcsports.com/Team%20Standings/Standings-BoysWrestling.aspx

^doesn't have the most recent seasons for some reason? 

Edited by ###

I am glad you remember coach Al so fondly, but We do not "dominate" in hoops, again Concord in boys(not in last few years) and Plymouth in both boys and girls are more successful since 2000. My guess is Northwood beats us next week up there. Soccer Goshen would beg to differ of late. Tennis has been a draw between Plymouth and us for many years, with Plymouth being slightly more successful head to head in boys. I will give you golf, track and cross country.  In Track, we have been dominant like Penn football.

I appreciate the Tiger support and will buy you a beer at the Frog, but you're definition of dominant is nowhere close to mine nor Webster's..

Cheers...

Edited by tigerpride